• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Awesome purple patches from players through history that don't get much recognition

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damian Martyn is your example of someone who doesn't get much recognition?

This forum is a hotbed of millenial Australians who will bang on about him until the cows come home.
To any new members, this is how you reply if you don't read the original post.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Those get the attention they deserve 'round here I'd say.

Lawrence Rowe had a similarly remarkable start to his career I think.
They may get the attention they deserve as overall players but I am not sure many were aware of Harvey's Bradmanesque start to his career.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
You can see why Limited overs cricket was invented around the end of Gibb's career
That Sobers hit six sixes an over (admittedly in a FC match) in such a slow scoring era is part of the reason he is revered as so ahead of the time. Not many cricketers would have dreamed of it let alone coming close to executing.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Kim Hughes seems to always get underrated on here, however if you take out his first 11 Tests that he only played because of the WSC exodus, and his final 9 Tests vs WI whereby Garner, Marshall and Holding were at their peak and totally destroyed him, his record is not too bad.

50T, 86Inn, 6no, 3597 runs @ 44.96, HS 213, 21 fifties, 8 centuries.

This means he made 50+ every 3rd innings, which were also scored very quickly.