• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Circus thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The best circus act recently came when they forgot to approve the structural change to their FC domestic competition at their meeting, and so it couldn't start when they'd initially planned.

It still hasn't started.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dont rule out it being on purpose for some politician's interest or some other BS. SL are nice enough to make India feel like we have an actual professional structure running the sport. :laugh:

cnerd123

likes this
The best circus act recently came when they forgot to approve the structural change to their FC domestic competition at their meeting, and so it couldn't start when they'd initially planned.

It still hasn't started.
so that's why it hasn't started yet

I couldn't find any info on this when I searched, tho tbf I didn't read through the island cricket website yet

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Seemed appropriate to catalogue this here:

I'll be honest the main reason I made this thread is to highlight this piece of galaxy brain brilliance from SL's chief selector:
"Most probably we will go with the same batting lineup [as we did in Karachi], with Angelo Mathews at four, Dinesh Chandimal at five, Dhananjaya de Silva at six and Niroshan Dickwella keeping," [Asantha de Mel] told ESPNcricinfo. "Kusal has an issue with his hamstrings where he can't run around the field as much. And because Dickwella is the main keeper, we thought there was no point taking another keeper."

Kusal had struck Sri Lanka's innings of the year in 2019, his 153 not out in Durban earning global plaudits, but had had a poor series against New Zealand in August and September last year, in which he made 1, 23, 0 and 0. He was in the squad, but did not play a Test in Pakistan.

"Yes, Kusal can make 150s, but we needed someone who can occupy the crease, which is why we chose Thirimanne," de Mel said. "Thirimanne can also bat in the top order or as an opener." Thirimanne's batting average, however, is 22.64 after 68 innings.
Because why select someone who averages 31 when you can instead select someone who averages 22 over twice the number of tests, therefore having had more time to demonstrate his ability?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thirimanne wouldn't get into the Bangladesh team over Imrul Kayes. He's that bad, yet they persist.

Bijed

International Regular
Also, loved the wording specifically of

Yes, Kusal can make 150s, but we needed someone who can occupy the crease
a) For the glib glossing over of the ability to score big hundreds and b) not getting that if you do make 150 you've occupied the crease by definition

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Let's put a source here so we don't forget

Sri Lanka's cricket board on Monday initiated disciplinary action against three players, including vice-captain Kusal Mendis, after videos emerged appearing to show them breaching their bio-secure Covid bubble in England.

Mendis and Niroshan Dickwella were seen smoking in the streets of Durham, where they are based ahead of this week's first one-day international at Chester-le-Street on Tuesday

In a second video on social media, opening batsman Danushka Gunathilaka is seen joining the pair, violating the coronavirus rules of their stay in England, where they are not allowed to roam freely.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

anil1405

International Captain
So their players had to land in India due to fuel loss issue in the aircraft they were returning in.

Dasun Shanaka was named skipper after Kusal Perera was actively involved in ensuring players got their way when it came to signing the contract.

Their batting coach, Grant Flower, has tested positive for Covid on return from England.

Quite a bit going on in a matter of few days.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've seen Dasun Shanaka play in Singapore. He bombs a few big ones but is not a very good cricketer lol.

This is a new low for SLC.