Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones

Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones

Shane Warnes lewd phone messages to a woman he was obsessed with in England and later to a hooker in Melbourne are well known. The recent dramas of David Beckham's Text messages to Rebecca Loos have also been well publicised. Following the match fixing scandals all cricketers were, I believe barred from using Mobile Phones during cricket matches (or is it only barred from using them in dressing rooms in ODIs).

Only 2 days ago a major scandal broke out in Australia over lewd messages sent by Mark Gasnier, a St.George player in Rugby League's NSW State of origin team, resulting in 2 players being kicked out of the Team (Mark and Anthony Minichello) and 5 players being fined.
    Are Sportsmen being placed under pressure due to higher expectations in terms of acceptable behaviour? Should Sportsmen be barred from using Mobile Phones? Since one seems to bring the worst in the other. Any opinions?
    Last edited by JASON; 21-05-2004 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    Shane Warnes lewd phone messages to a woman he was obsessed with in England and later to a hooker in Melbourne are well known. The recent dramas of David Beckham's Text messages to Rebecca Loos have also been well publicised. Following the match fixing scandals all cricketers were, I believe barred from using Mobile Phones during cricket matches (or is it only barred from using them in dressing rooms in ODIs).

Only 2 days ago a major scandal broke out in Australia over lewd messages sent by Mark Gasnier, a St.George player in Rugby League's NSW State of origin team, resulting in 2 players being kicked out of the Team (Mark and Anthony Minichello) and 5 players being fined.
    Are Sportsmen being placed under pressure due to higher expectations in terms of acceptable behaviour? Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones?
    Absolutely not. Sure, a few high-profile sportmen misbehave with them, but the majority of sportspeople use them in a correct and mature manner.

Besides, it's not a fair suggestion to ban sportspeople from having mobile phones - call it discrimination for want of a better word.

I think barring them form making calls during games is adequate. You can't prevent them from using mobile phones! Many common ppl do it. They should just be suspended or given the boot, as sportsmen are public figures and should behave.
    You talking to IR?

Such a suggestion also came up when the match-fixing saga had struck cricket.

But as Andre said, because of the actions of a handful of misbehaviours, it's not fair to ban them.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Quote Originally Posted by chicane
    I think barring them form making calls during games is adequate. You can't prevent them from using mobile phones! Many common ppl do it. They should just be suspended or given the boot, as sportsmen are public figures and should behave.
    I'm sure whichever way they misbehave wouldn't be during a game.

Whatever a sportsperson does in his personal life (to a certain extent), shouldn't affect in unjust bans in their sports life.

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    Should Sportsmen be barred from using Mobile Phones? Since one seems to bring the worst in the other. Any opinions?
    You serious Adolf? The idea of banning sportsmen from using phones is ludicrous, i hope it isn't a serious suggestion. A lewd text is just a lewd text, what they do in there private lives is up to them.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    You serious Adolf? The idea of banning sportsmen from using phones is ludicrous, i hope it isn't a serious suggestion. A lewd text is just a lewd text, what they do in there private lives is up to them.
    Agreed..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Shall we ban e-mails and land lines too?

How about letters? Or speaking?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Or speaking?
    Might shut Ricky up long enough for someone else to get a word in.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Shall we ban e-mails and land lines too?

How about letters? Or speaking?
    hehe the answer was as simple as that.

Cricket Spectator
    they cant be stopped from contacting people, who actually cares about shane warnes personal life??
    Been at my Cricket Club 9 years, joined at 5!!
    Top Score : 73*
    Best Bowling : 5 Wickets, 3 Runs

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketsince5
    they cant be stopped from contacting people, who actually cares about shane warnes personal life??
    Shane's Mum

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    Spot on I know sports people and all those in high places are looked upto, but this is their private lives and it's exctly that private, who cares what they do in their own time it's nothing to do with us.

Just because Texts have been used in a few cases, doesn't mean it's the only way just like Neil said you can't ban them from speaking to people at all, bans should be based on what they do at work, you can't ban someone for something they did in their own time (unless it's really serious like broke the law etc)

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Banning sportsmen from owning mobile phones seems a rather barbaric breach of human rights. Why not ban everyone?

If you think sportsmen should be banned from using mobile phones then do you believe Sachin Tendulkar et al should be executed for making a duck?
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Its a ridiculous suggestion really. And even if bans were put in place, there is absolutely no way to be certain or sure that these players aren't using Mobile Phones.

Mobile Phones are a part of life and I don't see how sportsmen/sportswomen are any different from the rest of us, apart from being high profile.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information