• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Warnes lewd phone messages to a woman he was obsessed with in England and later to a hooker in Melbourne are well known. The recent dramas of David Beckham's Text messages to Rebecca Loos have also been well publicised. Following the match fixing scandals all cricketers were, I believe barred from using Mobile Phones during cricket matches (or is it only barred from using them in dressing rooms in ODIs).

Only 2 days ago a major scandal broke out in Australia over lewd messages sent by Mark Gasnier, a St.George player in Rugby League's NSW State of origin team, resulting in 2 players being kicked out of the Team (Mark and Anthony Minichello) and 5 players being fined.
Are Sportsmen being placed under pressure due to higher expectations in terms of acceptable behaviour? Should Sportsmen be barred from using Mobile Phones? Since one seems to bring the worst in the other. Any opinions?

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
JASON said:
Shane Warnes lewd phone messages to a woman he was obsessed with in England and later to a hooker in Melbourne are well known. The recent dramas of David Beckham's Text messages to Rebecca Loos have also been well publicised. Following the match fixing scandals all cricketers were, I believe barred from using Mobile Phones during cricket matches (or is it only barred from using them in dressing rooms in ODIs).

Only 2 days ago a major scandal broke out in Australia over lewd messages sent by Mark Gasnier, a St.George player in Rugby League's NSW State of origin team, resulting in 2 players being kicked out of the Team (Mark and Anthony Minichello) and 5 players being fined.
Are Sportsmen being placed under pressure due to higher expectations in terms of acceptable behaviour? Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones?
Absolutely not. Sure, a few high-profile sportmen misbehave with them, but the majority of sportspeople use them in a correct and mature manner.

Besides, it's not a fair suggestion to ban sportspeople from having mobile phones - call it discrimination for want of a better word.

chicane

State Captain
I think barring them form making calls during games is adequate. You can't prevent them from using mobile phones! Many common ppl do it. They should just be suspended or given the boot, as sportsmen are public figures and should behave.

Sudeep

International Captain
Such a suggestion also came up when the match-fixing saga had struck cricket.

But as Andre said, because of the actions of a handful of misbehaviours, it's not fair to ban them.

Sudeep

International Captain
chicane said:
I think barring them form making calls during games is adequate. You can't prevent them from using mobile phones! Many common ppl do it. They should just be suspended or given the boot, as sportsmen are public figures and should behave.
I'm sure whichever way they misbehave wouldn't be during a game.

Whatever a sportsperson does in his personal life (to a certain extent), shouldn't affect in unjust bans in their sports life.

twctopcat

International Regular
JASON said:
Should Sportsmen be barred from using Mobile Phones? Since one seems to bring the worst in the other. Any opinions?
You serious Adolf? The idea of banning sportsmen from using phones is ludicrous, i hope it isn't a serious suggestion. A lewd text is just a lewd text, what they do in there private lives is up to them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
You serious Adolf? The idea of banning sportsmen from using phones is ludicrous, i hope it isn't a serious suggestion. A lewd text is just a lewd text, what they do in there private lives is up to them.
Agreed..

Rich2001

International Captain
twctopcat said:
Spot on I know sports people and all those in high places are looked upto, but this is their private lives and it's exctly that private, who cares what they do in their own time it's nothing to do with us.

Just because Texts have been used in a few cases, doesn't mean it's the only way just like Neil said you can't ban them from speaking to people at all, bans should be based on what they do at work, you can't ban someone for something they did in their own time (unless it's really serious like broke the law etc)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Banning sportsmen from owning mobile phones seems a rather barbaric breach of human rights. Why not ban everyone?

If you think sportsmen should be banned from using mobile phones then do you believe Sachin Tendulkar et al should be executed for making a duck?

masterblaster

International Captain
Its a ridiculous suggestion really. And even if bans were put in place, there is absolutely no way to be certain or sure that these players aren't using Mobile Phones.

Mobile Phones are a part of life and I don't see how sportsmen/sportswomen are any different from the rest of us, apart from being high profile.

deeps

International 12th Man
that is the most ridicoulous thing i've ever heard!!!

i think ppl should be banned from driving cars..because all the accidents that happen

I think that every1 should be strip searched,and all luggage thoroughly gone through before boarding a plane..because of 9/11

I think that programmers shouldn't be allowed to use computers,due to the amount of new virii coming out

man,seriously... it's ridiculously stupid... has it ever occured to u that they aren't the only ones involved in these scandals?? the only difference is that they are famous and every1 else hears about it.. If i did it,no1 would know... They are humans too..

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:

Are Sportsmen being placed under pressure due to higher expectations in terms of acceptable behaviour? Should Sportsmen be barred from using Mobile Phones? Since one seems to bring the worst in the other. Any opinions?
Or in the case of Gasnier and Minichello, as good as rugby league players they are, they seem to be lacking something up stairs in treating women and acting sensible when on the drink.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let them do whatever they like - it gives us something to chuckle about. Some sportsmen are idiots, but (unfortunately for them) they are in the public eye and consequently the general public are interested in EVERYTHING they do. They are celebrities - 'C' list for the most part, but celebrities all the same.

Actually, I think we ought to encourage them to be idiots (although some need little invitation).

Waughney

International Debutant
Craig said:
Or in the case of Gasnier and Minichello, as good as rugby league players they are, they seem to be lacking something up stairs in treating women and acting sensible when on the drink.
Wasn't it just that Minichello brought a mobile phone into camp, he didn't send any messages like Gasnier (correct me if I'm wrong)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Banning mobile phones addresses the method of delivery of said abuse, not the abuse itself. It's just a newer way of perpatrating that which rugby leagers have been doing for many years. This sort of behaviour is symptomatic of a wider behavioural issue, particularly off-field towards women and non-rugby league players.

Personally, rugby league in general has bigger fish to fry.