Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year JASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    7,558

    Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones

    Shane Warnes lewd phone messages to a woman he was obsessed with in England and later to a hooker in Melbourne are well known. The recent dramas of David Beckham's Text messages to Rebecca Loos have also been well publicised. Following the match fixing scandals all cricketers were, I believe barred from using Mobile Phones during cricket matches (or is it only barred from using them in dressing rooms in ODIs).

    Only 2 days ago a major scandal broke out in Australia over lewd messages sent by Mark Gasnier, a St.George player in Rugby League's NSW State of origin team, resulting in 2 players being kicked out of the Team (Mark and Anthony Minichello) and 5 players being fined.
    Are Sportsmen being placed under pressure due to higher expectations in terms of acceptable behaviour? Should Sportsmen be barred from using Mobile Phones? Since one seems to bring the worst in the other. Any opinions?
    Last edited by JASON; 21-05-2004 at 11:25 AM.

  2. #2
    International Regular Andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    Shane Warnes lewd phone messages to a woman he was obsessed with in England and later to a hooker in Melbourne are well known. The recent dramas of David Beckham's Text messages to Rebecca Loos have also been well publicised. Following the match fixing scandals all cricketers were, I believe barred from using Mobile Phones during cricket matches (or is it only barred from using them in dressing rooms in ODIs).

    Only 2 days ago a major scandal broke out in Australia over lewd messages sent by Mark Gasnier, a St.George player in Rugby League's NSW State of origin team, resulting in 2 players being kicked out of the Team (Mark and Anthony Minichello) and 5 players being fined.
    Are Sportsmen being placed under pressure due to higher expectations in terms of acceptable behaviour? Should Sportsmen be banned from using Mobile Phones?
    Absolutely not. Sure, a few high-profile sportmen misbehave with them, but the majority of sportspeople use them in a correct and mature manner.

    Besides, it's not a fair suggestion to ban sportspeople from having mobile phones - call it discrimination for want of a better word.

  3. #3
    State Captain chicane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    1,857
    I think barring them form making calls during games is adequate. You can't prevent them from using mobile phones! Many common ppl do it. They should just be suspended or given the boot, as sportsmen are public figures and should behave.
    You talking to IR?

  4. #4
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    Such a suggestion also came up when the match-fixing saga had struck cricket.

    But as Andre said, because of the actions of a handful of misbehaviours, it's not fair to ban them.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman


  5. #5
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    Quote Originally Posted by chicane
    I think barring them form making calls during games is adequate. You can't prevent them from using mobile phones! Many common ppl do it. They should just be suspended or given the boot, as sportsmen are public figures and should behave.
    I'm sure whichever way they misbehave wouldn't be during a game.

    Whatever a sportsperson does in his personal life (to a certain extent), shouldn't affect in unjust bans in their sports life.

  6. #6
    International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    winchester, england
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    Should Sportsmen be barred from using Mobile Phones? Since one seems to bring the worst in the other. Any opinions?
    You serious Adolf? The idea of banning sportsmen from using phones is ludicrous, i hope it isn't a serious suggestion. A lewd text is just a lewd text, what they do in there private lives is up to them.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

    'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

  7. #7
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    You serious Adolf? The idea of banning sportsmen from using phones is ludicrous, i hope it isn't a serious suggestion. A lewd text is just a lewd text, what they do in there private lives is up to them.
    Agreed..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,880
    Shall we ban e-mails and land lines too?

    How about letters? Or speaking?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  9. #9
    PY
    PY is offline
    International Coach PY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    10,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Or speaking?
    Might shut Ricky up long enough for someone else to get a word in.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

    - Stephen Currie

    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

  10. #10
    State Captain chicane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    1,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Shall we ban e-mails and land lines too?

    How about letters? Or speaking?
    hehe the answer was as simple as that.

  11. #11
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2
    they cant be stopped from contacting people, who actually cares about shane warnes personal life??
    Been at my Cricket Club 9 years, joined at 5!!
    Top Score : 73*
    Best Bowling : 5 Wickets, 3 Runs

  12. #12
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketsince5
    they cant be stopped from contacting people, who actually cares about shane warnes personal life??
    Shane's Mum

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    7,190
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    You serious Adolf? The idea of banning sportsmen from using phones is ludicrous, i hope it isn't a serious suggestion. A lewd text is just a lewd text, what they do in there private lives is up to them.
    Spot on I know sports people and all those in high places are looked upto, but this is their private lives and it's exctly that private, who cares what they do in their own time it's nothing to do with us.

    Just because Texts have been used in a few cases, doesn't mean it's the only way just like Neil said you can't ban them from speaking to people at all, bans should be based on what they do at work, you can't ban someone for something they did in their own time (unless it's really serious like broke the law etc)

  14. #14
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,823
    Banning sportsmen from owning mobile phones seems a rather barbaric breach of human rights. Why not ban everyone?

    If you think sportsmen should be banned from using mobile phones then do you believe Sachin Tendulkar et al should be executed for making a duck?
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  15. #15
    International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,065
    Its a ridiculous suggestion really. And even if bans were put in place, there is absolutely no way to be certain or sure that these players aren't using Mobile Phones.

    Mobile Phones are a part of life and I don't see how sportsmen/sportswomen are any different from the rest of us, apart from being high profile.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)


    "Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

    Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •