• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* IPL 2019

vandem

International 12th Man
Clever Ashwin. Only way he was getting butler out today.
Clever? He has just split his team's fan base. Some the fans will love the "play hard" style and the controversy, some will walk away. And he has just lost the respect of most of the other players in the IPL. Outcast now. Ask BMac about the Murali run out incident, took a while to mend those bridges.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When was the last documented (broadcasted through TV) 'Mankad'? Shimron's Windies Under-19s v Zims U-19s in that 2016 WC.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Not sure, but would Jos Butler have been the last batsmen to have been mankaded in an international mens match as well? There's probably been someone else but I'm thinking back to that game against Sri Lanka. In that case, I'd probably say it was fair enough in that case. But this wasn't.

Also, Curran's gonna have to focus on his batting skills as his career progresses; especially in the one day formats. Its so limited because of his height and pace

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Clever? He has just split his team's fan base. Some the fans will love the "play hard" style and the controversy, some will walk away. And he has just lost the respect of most of the other players in the IPL. Outcast now. Ask BMac about the Murali run out incident, took a while to mend those bridges.
We can debate the moralistic view till the end of time. Facts are Ashwin is paid to win games for his team, he was losing the game if butler bats to the end. Its within the rules.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And he has just lost the respect of most of the other players in the IPL. Outcast now. Ask BMac about the Murali run out incident, took a while to mend those bridges.
This is IPL, i.e., not real cricket. It will not taint the game at any cost. The players will put this behind them, and laugh it off over a few drinks and chana-masala.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
We can debate the moralistic view till the end of time. Facts are Ashwin is paid to win games for his team, he was losing the game if butler bats to the end. Its within the rules.
This is a clear manipulation of the rules though. Technically Butler was out of his crease, but only because Ashwin didn't release the ball. If he would have, Butler would have still been in his crease, and this subsequently doesn't constitute an unfair advantage. Mankading is fine, but this was cheating really.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Batsmen is only suppose to move once the ball is released. Butler obviously didn't wait.

Gamesmanship from Ashwin ? Sure. Cheating ? No.

vandem

International 12th Man
Ashwin is also paid to captain the team. And be part of the promotional profile of the team. And IPL is a business. And I suspect that the team owners will be loving the media noise, and backing Aswhin about "playing hard" etc. And they won tonight. So a short term gain. Long term, who knows?

My second point was more about Ashwin's decision, and the impact on his own career and respect from other players. See Paul Collingwood's comments:

Paul Collingwood: Angelo Mathews will regret 'Mankad' madness - The Journal