• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Age of Bert is Upon Us

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So today is the day. Nick Bertus, 25 year-old Premiership Winning Captain of Parramatta, prolific and consistent run scorer at first grade level and all round champion bloke, makes his First Class debut* for NSW today vs Tasmania in a clutch match which will determine whether the Bl00s make the Shield final.

The match is live streamed on the CA website, for the millions of Bert fans who want to watch.

Aside from bowing down to the bloke who predicted this two years ago**, I am sure you will all join me in wishing #Bertmentum every success on this auspicious occasion, the first step to international greatness.

*dayboo
** me

Burgey

Wash your mouth out, sir! Oldest cricket club in Australia, established 1843. Had a few guns over the years - the Benauds, Doug Walters the most iconic. Currently two Shield players in Bert and Dermo Abbott. With Tim Ward to join them within 18 months.

Burgey

Second largest city in NSW and the beautiful, diverse heart of the Australian nation. Various meanings have been ascribed to the name, but it seems it means "Head of the River" or "Home of Bert and Sabba".

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Second largest city in NSW and the beautiful, diverse heart of the Australian nation. Various meanings have been ascribed to the name, but it seems it means "Head of the River" or "Home of Bert and Sabba".
Looks like a backwater of Sydney on the map I found

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
It was literally the first capital of NSWt.
Really, the governer placed his house there so he could be living well away from Sydney without being too far away to attend to government business when needed.

As Sydney is larger (but transport better), the modern-day equivalent would be living in Camden or Richmond.

Last edited:

fredfertang

In New South Wales do people live anywhere other than in Sydney?

Looks suspiciously like the only place on the map to me

stephen

In New South Wales do people live anywhere other than in Sydney?

Looks suspiciously like the only place on the map to me
Queensland is the only state with significant population that lives outside the capital city. In NSW it's basically Sydney and Newcastle, Victoria have Melbourne. Queensland have Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Cairns, Townsville, Gladstone, Rockhampton, Bundaberg and Maryborough which all have significant populations.

Burgey

Queensland is the only state with significant population that lives outside the capital city. In NSW it's basically Sydney and Newcastle, Victoria have Melbourne. Queensland have Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Cairns, Townsville, Gladstone, Rockhampton, Bundaberg and Maryborough which all have significant populations.
And why do you reckon people want to live outside Brisbane?

NSW also has Canberra/ Queanbeyan within the State. Decent population in the Gong too.

Last edited: