Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Freedom of speech in the cricket world

  1. #1
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080

    Freedom of speech in the cricket world

    In the light of what's likely to take place over the next 24 hours regarding Zimbabwe, I was thinking about the suspension from the WA state team handed out to Murray Goodwin, late last year, for claiming that the ZCU had a racist selection policy.

    It also brought to mind what happened to Dion Ebrahim when he commented on the legality of Murali's action.

    I certainly have opinions on the appropriateness of some remarks made by people in the cricket world (ie 90% of Ricky Ponting's comments ), but I'm not sure about banning them making them, or suspending them from playing games because of something they said. I realize that in some contexts, freedom of speech is oversold, but I have to admit that it makes me uncomfortable to see people suspended for matches, particularly when they may actually be saying something that's literally true. This is of course exempting racist abuse, and serious villification.

    Do people think that action like this over player comments is justifiable? Or is it OK in some areas and not in others?
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  2. #2
    U19 12th Man bennyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sunny South Windsor, NSW
    Posts
    259
    I can see where you're coming from.

    I feel that there is far too much over reaction to anything that a player says.

    One example that really got up my nose (although it was very minor) was last year when a tired Brad Williams was baled up by the media after a long flight home to Perth having been dropped after a decent performance.

    He was asked about it at the abouit and replied that "apparently I bowl with the wrong arm.", referring to Nathan Bracken, who took his place - an entirely trurhful statement.

    Cricket Australia took it upon themselves to give him a bit of counselling and a talking to.

    The guy gave an honest, truthful and accurate answer to a question. He was disappointed and it showed in his voice? Good! I want Aussie players gutted when they are dropped. I want to see real desire to play for your country.

    Players aren't automatons. They are people. They must be given some freedom to express themselves. Not open slather, but some freedom.

    If 90% of the people on this forum were in an international cricket side and expressed the views they do here they would be in deep excrement.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    (ie 90% of Ricky Ponting's comments
    which have been shown to be completley unjustified in the vast majority of cases.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  4. #4
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    which have been shown to be completley unjustified in the vast majority of cases.
    You mean Ponting's comments have been unjustified, or criticisms of his comments were unjustified - it's not clear.....


  5. #5
    International 12th Man deeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    perth, australia
    Posts
    1,661
    he's still too immature to be the public face of australian cricket... he has issues still..his off-field behavious has improved heaps...but there's still that element in him..he might b a good captain on the field..but that's not all that matters...

  6. #6
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    7,298
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    which have been shown to be completley unjustified in the vast majority of cases.
    I think of the two statements Ponting made that have been discussed in depth here on the forums, the one on Murali, was completely justified.

    But this isn't about Ponting in particular.

    To some extent, the ICC or respective cricket boards should bear to the statements made by cricketers, and not take any harsh actions.

    For example, Ebrahim's statement, I read somewhere, was supposed to be sarcastic, however he ended up getting a ban, which was quite unfair.
    Last edited by Sudeep; 21-05-2004 at 10:27 AM.
    “If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.” - Douglas Adams

  7. #7
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567
    Its just a tragic reflection of the Political Correctness that infests every echelon of modern society.. You cant say anything that might be taken the wrong way by anyone...
    Cricket Australia and the ZCU seem to be the worst offenders, but I dont think anyone can say a lot without being told off or gagged...

    Pity that a lot of people in authority turn a blind eye to some of the things that really matter though...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  8. #8
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    30,062
    People should be allowed to say what they feel. A player is expected to put on a brave face even after he is dropped. Its just immature to not allow people to say what is on their minds..

  9. #9
    International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,065
    There is a really small margin for error though. So techinically it is not really 'free speech', just voicing your opinion although between the guidelines that exist within society.

    Im afraid its not something I like about cricket really. I think the ICC gets mixed up with 'free speach' and keeping alive the 'spirit' of the game. They somehow cannot strike the right balance.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)


    "Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

    Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

  10. #10
    U19 12th Man bennyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sunny South Windsor, NSW
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by deeps
    he's still too immature to be the public face of australian cricket... he has issues still..his off-field behavious has improved heaps...but there's still that element in him..he might b a good captain on the field..but that's not all that matters...
    I agree with your summary of Ponting. The Australian Test Cricket Captain is a position of national importance and he has been a bit too liberal with his opinions for my liking. This may just be inexperience, and I hope he will be3 a bit more discreet in the future.

    However, that said, I don't think their is any grounds for doing anything "official" about what he has been saying - he has every right to express his opinion just as I have every right to say "I wish he'd keep his stupid trap shut."

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Judging by the way Ponting affects some posters I dont think the public could handle freedom of speech for the players.

    A lot of supporters can yell all the obsenities they can at a player but if the player turns around and gives it back the supporter runs to the press.

  12. #12
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyr
    I can see where you're coming from.

    I feel that there is far too much over reaction to anything that a player says.

    One example that really got up my nose (although it was very minor) was last year when a tired Brad Williams was baled up by the media after a long flight home to Perth having been dropped after a decent performance.

    He was asked about it at the abouit and replied that "apparently I bowl with the wrong arm.", referring to Nathan Bracken, who took his place - an entirely trurhful statement.

    Cricket Australia took it upon themselves to give him a bit of counselling and a talking to.

    The guy gave an honest, truthful and accurate answer to a question. He was disappointed and it showed in his voice? Good! I want Aussie players gutted when they are dropped. I want to see real desire to play for your country.

    Players aren't automatons. They are people. They must be given some freedom to express themselves. Not open slather, but some freedom.

    If 90% of the people on this forum were in an international cricket side and expressed the views they do here they would be in deep excrement.
    I may not be a brilliant man in the eyes of man people in this message board and in the world, but tell me, how on earth would 'counselling' be effective?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  13. #13
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63,253
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster
    I think the ICC gets mixed up with 'free speach' and keeping alive the 'spirit' of the game. They somehow cannot strike the right balance.
    But then again, neither can the players...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  14. #14
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Judging by the way Ponting affects some posters I dont think the public could handle freedom of speech for the players.
    There's a difference between freedom of speech and making a fool of yourself by passing comment on things that have nothing to do with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    A lot of supporters can yell all the obsenities they can at a player but if the player turns around and gives it back the supporter runs to the press.
    Yes, because the supporters are not representing their country and as such ambassadors.

    I suppose you're happy for people who are role models for the next generation of cricketers to be foul-mouthed louts then?

  15. #15
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    I think players are lucky to not to have played under Don Bradman. One word out of their mouths (ie sledging) and they didnt play next time.

    So the story goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •