• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Freedom of speech in the cricket world

Slow Love™

International Captain
In the light of what's likely to take place over the next 24 hours regarding Zimbabwe, I was thinking about the suspension from the WA state team handed out to Murray Goodwin, late last year, for claiming that the ZCU had a racist selection policy.

It also brought to mind what happened to Dion Ebrahim when he commented on the legality of Murali's action.

I certainly have opinions on the appropriateness of some remarks made by people in the cricket world (ie 90% of Ricky Ponting's comments :) ), but I'm not sure about banning them making them, or suspending them from playing games because of something they said. I realize that in some contexts, freedom of speech is oversold, but I have to admit that it makes me uncomfortable to see people suspended for matches, particularly when they may actually be saying something that's literally true. This is of course exempting racist abuse, and serious villification.

Do people think that action like this over player comments is justifiable? Or is it OK in some areas and not in others?

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I can see where you're coming from.

I feel that there is far too much over reaction to anything that a player says.

One example that really got up my nose (although it was very minor) was last year when a tired Brad Williams was baled up by the media after a long flight home to Perth having been dropped after a decent performance.

He was asked about it at the abouit and replied that "apparently I bowl with the wrong arm.", referring to Nathan Bracken, who took his place - an entirely trurhful statement.

Cricket Australia took it upon themselves to give him a bit of counselling and a talking to.

The guy gave an honest, truthful and accurate answer to a question. He was disappointed and it showed in his voice? Good! I want Aussie players gutted when they are dropped. I want to see real desire to play for your country.

Players aren't automatons. They are people. They must be given some freedom to express themselves. Not open slather, but some freedom.

If 90% of the people on this forum were in an international cricket side and expressed the views they do here they would be in deep excrement.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
age_master said:
which have been shown to be completley unjustified in the vast majority of cases. 8-) 8-) 8-)
You mean Ponting's comments have been unjustified, or criticisms of his comments were unjustified - it's not clear..... :huh:

deeps

International 12th Man
he's still too immature to be the public face of australian cricket... he has issues still..his off-field behavious has improved heaps...but there's still that element in him..he might b a good captain on the field..but that's not all that matters...

Sudeep

International Captain
age_master said:
which have been shown to be completley unjustified in the vast majority of cases. 8-) 8-) 8-)
I think of the two statements Ponting made that have been discussed in depth here on the forums, the one on Murali, was completely justified.

But this isn't about Ponting in particular.

To some extent, the ICC or respective cricket boards should bear to the statements made by cricketers, and not take any harsh actions.

For example, Ebrahim's statement, I read somewhere, was supposed to be sarcastic, however he ended up getting a ban, which was quite unfair.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its just a tragic reflection of the Political Correctness that infests every echelon of modern society.. You cant say anything that might be taken the wrong way by anyone...
Cricket Australia and the ZCU seem to be the worst offenders, but I dont think anyone can say a lot without being told off or gagged...

Pity that a lot of people in authority turn a blind eye to some of the things that really matter though...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
People should be allowed to say what they feel. A player is expected to put on a brave face even after he is dropped. Its just immature to not allow people to say what is on their minds..

masterblaster

International Captain
There is a really small margin for error though. So techinically it is not really 'free speech', just voicing your opinion although between the guidelines that exist within society.

Im afraid its not something I like about cricket really. I think the ICC gets mixed up with 'free speach' and keeping alive the 'spirit' of the game. They somehow cannot strike the right balance.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
deeps said:
he's still too immature to be the public face of australian cricket... he has issues still..his off-field behavious has improved heaps...but there's still that element in him..he might b a good captain on the field..but that's not all that matters...
I agree with your summary of Ponting. The Australian Test Cricket Captain is a position of national importance and he has been a bit too liberal with his opinions for my liking. This may just be inexperience, and I hope he will be3 a bit more discreet in the future.

However, that said, I don't think their is any grounds for doing anything "official" about what he has been saying - he has every right to express his opinion just as I have every right to say "I wish he'd keep his stupid trap shut."

Scallywag

Banned
Judging by the way Ponting affects some posters I dont think the public could handle freedom of speech for the players.

A lot of supporters can yell all the obsenities they can at a player but if the player turns around and gives it back the supporter runs to the press.

Craig

World Traveller
bennyr said:
I can see where you're coming from.

I feel that there is far too much over reaction to anything that a player says.

One example that really got up my nose (although it was very minor) was last year when a tired Brad Williams was baled up by the media after a long flight home to Perth having been dropped after a decent performance.

He was asked about it at the abouit and replied that "apparently I bowl with the wrong arm.", referring to Nathan Bracken, who took his place - an entirely trurhful statement.

Cricket Australia took it upon themselves to give him a bit of counselling and a talking to.

The guy gave an honest, truthful and accurate answer to a question. He was disappointed and it showed in his voice? Good! I want Aussie players gutted when they are dropped. I want to see real desire to play for your country.

Players aren't automatons. They are people. They must be given some freedom to express themselves. Not open slather, but some freedom.

If 90% of the people on this forum were in an international cricket side and expressed the views they do here they would be in deep excrement.
I may not be a brilliant man in the eyes of man people in this message board and in the world, but tell me, how on earth would 'counselling' be effective?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:
I think the ICC gets mixed up with 'free speach' and keeping alive the 'spirit' of the game. They somehow cannot strike the right balance.
But then again, neither can the players...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Judging by the way Ponting affects some posters I dont think the public could handle freedom of speech for the players.
There's a difference between freedom of speech and making a fool of yourself by passing comment on things that have nothing to do with you.

Scallywag said:
A lot of supporters can yell all the obsenities they can at a player but if the player turns around and gives it back the supporter runs to the press.
Yes, because the supporters are not representing their country and as such ambassadors.

I suppose you're happy for people who are role models for the next generation of cricketers to be foul-mouthed louts then?

Craig

World Traveller
I think players are lucky to not to have played under Don Bradman. One word out of their mouths (ie sledging) and they didnt play next time.

So the story goes.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
I suppose you're happy for people who are role models for the next generation of cricketers to be foul-mouthed louts then?
How did you come to that conclusion marc71178. Perhaps reading my posts would be better than trying to put words into my mouth.

My point was that the general public could not handle the being treated the same way they treat players. This is why there are limitations placed on what the players can say in public.

A good example of how the public distort things is to read my comment then read your reply.

Sussexshark

Cricket Spectator
«Its just a tragic reflection of the Political Correctness that infests every echelon of modern society.. You cant say anything that might be taken the wrong way by anyone...»

Oh, how I agree. Political correctness is all about intolerance, intimidation, twisting the truth, lying, corruption - hey I could go on and on. Very definitely it is the enemy of all the freedoms the vast majority of us believe in, most especially the freedoms of speech and association. It has absolutely no place in the world of cricket. What the WACA did to Murray Goodwin was appalling, but so symptomatic of the one-eyed nature of cricket administration everywhere. It was not as if Murray was saying anything that brought the game into disrepute, although I guess that was the WACA's jaundiced view!

Moving slightly away from the central theme of this thread, what I'd like to see is more international cricketers taking a leaf out of Stuart MacGill's book. The administrators would then be faced with a quandary of their very own making.

In bocca al lupo

Peter

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey wait a sec guys; what we're seeing isn't political correctness. It's a pretty awfully skewed version of it, though. Stuff like this is censorship, plain and simple. Political correctness doesn't resemble the example of it used in the media and elsewhere today.

And what the WACA did to Goodwin is what the WACA does to everyone eventually! That's not PC that's the WACA!! :D

biased indian

International Coach
Scallywag said:
How did you come to that conclusion marc71178. Perhaps reading my posts would be better than trying to put words into my mouth.

My point was that the general public could not handle the being treated the same way they treat players. This is why there are limitations placed on what the players can say in public.

A good example of how the public distort things is to read my comment then read your reply.
:huh: :huh: