• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli, the greatest ODI bat ever?

Is Virat Kohli the Greatest ODI bat of all Time

• Yes

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t ****ing know sunilz. I didn’t make the claim.

Where’s your proof Paul Keating wouldn’t have stood for Brexit?

Oh that’s right, you didn’t make that claim. But I’ll ask you to justify it anyway because I’m a massive Spud who’s incapable of rational discourse when it comes to a pet subject of mine.
He wasn’t asking you, it was more rhetorical than anything. Behave yourself. Mods please send him packing for another week.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he is talking about ODIs then he is clearly wrong imo . Where are the stats to back up the claim that Devilliers wins you more game in ODIs ?
One does not need stats to back up one's feelings.

Honestly the statistical difference between ABDV and Kohli is not that huge, particularly while their careers overlapped. But ABDV's extra aggression made him a more intimidating batsman. A bit like how Lara was more fearsome than Tendulkar in tests, despite the fact that Tendulkar statistically had a better career.

When Australia were an ATG side, ABDV felt like he could run away with the game against us at any time (and if not for a piece of fielding brilliance by Watson, I feel like he would have in this game: Full Scorecard of Australia vs South Africa, World Cup, 22nd Match, Group A - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com which was an important moment in that world cup campaign. Now that Australia is rubbish, we've won a surprising amount against India in ODIs despite Kohli plundering runs for fun.

And as I've said many times, I don't trust batting stats since the last world cup. The introduction of the second new ball in ODIs has almost completely removed bowlers from the game against top shelf batsmen.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And actually, my intuition is pretty good it seems:

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

AB de Villiers has been in a higher proportion of wins against Australia than Kohli (13/12 vs 15/17). ABDV also averages more against Australia (59 vs 53) AND in wins (76 vs 65) against Australia.

This is despite de Villiers playing a higher proportion of his matches against a stronger Australian side than Kohli.

Both are legends but looking at the stats against Australia probably explains why I rate de Villiers higher.

Spark

Global Moderator
And actually, my intuition is pretty good it seems:

AB de Villiers has been in a higher proportion of wins against Australia than Kohli (13/12 vs 15/17). ABDV also averages more against Australia (59 vs 53) AND in wins (76 vs 65) against Australia.

This is despite de Villiers playing a higher proportion of his matches against a stronger Australian side than Kohli.

Both are legends but looking at the stats against Australia probably explains why I rate de Villiers higher.
There are other teams in the world that sides have to play against.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Anyway, too early in Kohli's career to make a call between him and AB considering how close they are. Kohli could end up with an average in the mid 60s or mid 50s. Both seem very likely, and there is a clear (different) answer either way.
It's not the averages , longevity is going to be the deciding factor .
Because avgng 60 plus today is same as avgng 50 couple of years ago.
Abdv career is very short for an atg batsman.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Anyway, too early in Kohli's career to make a call between him and AB considering how close they are. Kohli could end up with an average in the mid 60s or mid 50s. Both seem very likely, and there is a clear (different) answer either way.
Is it too early though ? Kohli is already at a stage where he has 16 hundreds and 1200 runs more than ABD.

Bolo

State Captain
It's not the averages , longevity is going to be the deciding factor .
Because avgng 60 plus today is same as avgng 50 couple of years ago.
Abdv career is very short for an atg batsman.
His career was 2 years longer than Kohlis has been. Longevity is not an argument at this stage, unless you want to argue in favour of AB. And it's not likely to be. I doubt Kohli will be playing till he is close to 40. And if he is, comparing them at this stage in his career is utterly irrelevant- Kohli's record will change substantially

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin , Viv , Dhoni , Lara , ponting, Jayasoorya ..etc were 15+

Only Bevan , and Gilly careers were shorter .. I think
Sure. But it is not some sort of insignificant sample size.

I am not arguing whether he is/isn't a ATG just length of career is not really an issue here....

Edit: I do think there is a perception of having a short career, because he retired earlier than expected.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
His career was 2 years longer than Kohlis has been. Longevity is not an argument at this stage, unless you want to argue in favour of AB. And it's not likely to be. I doubt Kohli will be playing till he is close to 40. And if he is, comparing them at this stage in his career is utterly irrelevant- Kohli's record will change substantially
Sachin
Viv
Abdv
Kohli
Dhoni
Lara
Ponting
Bevan
Abbas
Jones

Is my top 10
I rate Abdv > Kohli because Abdv's attacking ability. But there is not much difference , if kohli completes 15 years without damaging his stats , then he is my 3rd Greatest Batsman alltime. And that's almost certain.

Btw Bevan and Jones 10-11 yrs career becoming a concern for me now.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sure. But it is not some sort of insignificant sample size.

I am not arguing whether he is/isn't a ATG just length of career is not really an issue here....

Edit: I do think there is a perception of having a short career, because he retired earlier than expected.
Actually , my idea was they are about equals.. so , if Kohli plays 5 yrs longer ..it definitely counts in his favour .

Bolo

State Captain
Sachin
Viv
Abdv
Kohli
Dhoni
Lara
Ponting
Bevan
Abbas
Jones

Is my top 10
I rate Abdv > Kohli because Abdv's attacking ability. But there is not much difference , if kohli completes 15 years without damaging his stats , then he is my 3rd Greatest Batsman alltime. And that's almost certain.

Btw Bevan and Jones 10-11 yrs career becoming a concern for me now.
If he retires with current stats after 15 its a 2 horse race between him and Viv imo, although we do need to look at how other bats have been performing. But his stats can change a lot in 4 years, in either direction.

Edit- I guess this shows my previous comment was wrong. Longevity could be an issue. There's nothing to separate him and ABs record. I'm giving him credit for longevity in this case.

Last edited: