• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowlers that can

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say it's stated relatively consistent. You can argue about quality but don't think many could bowl at those speeds over a long period of time. Top speed has stayed consistent I reckon. Even guys like Holding and Thomson did it in short bursts at their physical peaks too. Maybe fast bowlers before the introduction of speed guns appear faster since we can't tell 150 from 145 as it an arbitrary distinction. 140ks are all you need as long as they're well directed. Unless you're McGrath.

a massive zebra

International Captain
slippy, your threads would be much more interesting and would inspire more interesting debate if you made a bit more effort with your opening posts. I would encourage you to outline and explain your points, and also to support them with examples and/or reasoned argument. You tend to make basic unsupported blanket statements, which add very little value and do not encourage engaging discourse.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd say Starc and Gabriel are the only two that I've seen who are genuinely quick on a regular basis. Plenty of guys can bowl 4 overs of good pace in T20 cricket. Not many can/any apart from Gabriel and Starc can bowl bowl 15-20 overs a day at high 80s mph average. That's my impression anyway. Bumrah maybe next fastest.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
FWIW, I definitely think the average Sheffield Shield fastman isn't as quick as the equivalent from 20-25 years ago

Tom Flint

International Regular
I'd say Starc and Gabriel are the only two that I've seen who are genuinely quick on a regular basis. Plenty of guys can bowl 4 overs of good pace in T20 cricket. Not many can/any apart from Gabriel and Starc can bowl bowl 15-20 overs a day at high 80s mph average. That's my impression anyway. Bumrah maybe next fastest.
Bang on there are definitely lots who 'can' bowl 90 but few who can maintain it for any period of time. I would include Rabada with Bumrah

the big bambino

International Captain
What do you expect? Bowling that sort of heat over the extent of a test and in a crammed schedule means fast bowlers are always going to look at other methods to secure wickets or restrict runs by other than sheer speed.

Besides if 90mph (145k) is your benchmark then there are plenty now who can reach that at least a few times in any given spell.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Brett Lee Test ave 90-92mph, spells of bowling 95 to 99mph. Haven't seen anyone like him since.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FWIW, I definitely think the average Sheffield Shield fastman isn't as quick as the equivalent from 20-25 years ago
That's because all of our great players through the 90s grew up with DK Lillee on their tv. He inspired a generation.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was also **** so...
Was he even that fast? I wouldn't mind betting his test average was a bit under 145 overall.
Lee was arguably the best seamer in the world for a brief period (roughly 18 months) after McGrath gave it away. From memory he probably wasn't attempting to bowl quite so quickly, so...

As to the question in hand Tymal Mills is definitely capable of 90mph, but he's barely a thing anymore.