• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowlers that can

Tom Flint

International Regular
Lee always seems to be a bit underrated on cw. He was one of my favourite players from that era, which being australian is quite an achievement

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lee always seems to be a bit underrated on cw. He was one of my favourite players from that era, which being australian is quite an achievement
Underrated in ODIs. He was hot garbage in tests. Should have averaged way lower given his speed and accuracy but he simply reverted too often to bouncer-yorker and went for plenty of runs without applying pressure.

Bolo

State Captain
Lee was arguably the best seamer in the world for a brief period (roughly 18 months) after McGrath gave it away. From memory he probably wasn't attempting to bowl quite so quickly, so...

As to the question in hand Tymal Mills is definitely capable of 90mph, but he's barely a thing anymore.
Bit generous to lee. Clark and steyn were both hitting top form as mcgrath was winding down

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
average bowler speed is the highest it's ever been, without a doubt. The ability of coaches to squeeze 145kph out of what would've been regular fast medium bowlers in the past is incredible.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Might be true at the international level, but domestically (here in Australia at least) I see absolutely no evidence to support that whatsoever

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think coaches are turning 126 km/h bowlers into 132 km/h bowlers, and 134 km/h bowlers into 137 km/h bowlers. The country with the most scientific, biomechanically focussed coaching program, England, has singularly failed at producing genuinely quick bowlers. England has fewer fast bowlers now than they did in the mid-sixties.

the big bambino

International Captain
maybe also a reflection of how captains play their fast men now. generally tend to play them in short spells and bowling as fast as possible. bowling a little like they do in limited over matches. i'm guessing this is also why 5th bowling options are a necessary consideration in team selection as it allows the captain to employ their quickies this way.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Lee was a fine bowler, but imo he tarnished his reputation with that tasteless sideshow assault on the virtually defenseless Piers Morgan a few years ago. I can't stand Morgan, and yes he threw down the challenge, but I was still disappointed at the way Lee went after him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think there are probably more genuinely fast bowlers around the scene these days than there were in the 00's, certainly not less anyway.

00's: Lee, Akhtar, Bond, Harmison, Flintoff, Jones, Tait, Edwards, Malinga, Steyn
Now: Starc, Ferguson, Cummins, Pattinson, Archer, Bumrah, Gabriel, Rabada, Ngidi, Steyn,

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar and Shaun Tait had the aura of bowling terrifying speeds that uproots the stumps by a mile. Is there anyone right now whom you guys think has the same aura?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there are probably more genuinely fast bowlers around the scene these days than there were in the 00's, certainly not less anyway.

00's: Lee, Akhtar, Bond, Harmison, Flintoff, Jones, Tait, Edwards, Malinga, Steyn
Now: Starc, Ferguson, Cummins, Pattinson, Archer, Bumrah, Gabriel, Rabada, Ngidi, Steyn,
Finally, for the first time in forever, we have an Indian fast bowler in there.

SeamUp

International Coach

M.Morkel too.

cpr

International Coach

I think the list of injuries those in the top list suffered gives an indication why pace has dropped compared to whatever we remember growing up. The sheer amount of overs bowled in the modern game (plus other stresses to the body, the training, travelling etc) make it so so difficult to balance sheer pace with a career free from debilitating pain.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Only cricket fans seem to genuinely believe that their sportsmen gets less physically capable over time, compared to literally any other profession in the world.

This is mainly due to retired bowlers magically becoming able to be at their best at all times, once they've not been on TV for a while.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Only cricket fans seem to genuinely believe that their sportsmen gets less physically capable over time, compared to literally any other profession in the world.

This is mainly due to retired bowlers magically becoming able to be at their best at all times, once they've not been on TV for a while.
didn't you know thommo used to bowl 170kph? marsh said it so it must be true

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I came in to post that if cricket history follows the same trend as all other history, parts of it have been seriously 300ised