• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duanne Olivier Goes Kolpak with Yorkshire

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is county money that good?
I think it's pretty good. The combination of an assured income for years to come and getting a foot in the door to English citizenship (or whatever kolpak entails if not actual citizenship, pardon my ignorance) would be pretty tempting for a South African I'd imagine

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't imagine playing your FC cricket out in the Free State would be that lucrative. Nothing much ever happens out there

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's pretty good. The combination of an assured income for years to come and getting a foot in the door to English citizenship (or whatever kolpak entails if not actual citizenship, pardon my ignorance) would be pretty tempting for a South African I'd imagine
Yeah, there's definitely decent money to be made. Senior county professionals can expect salaries north of £100,000. That's probably at least comparable to the salaries' paid to borderline selections in the South African set-up, and their position in a county side is obviously likely to be much more secure. It also leaves Olivier free to pursue lucrative contracts in the CPL and BBL.

TheJediBrah

This must be made illegal
why

unless ICC is going to subsidise SA players' wages or something to keep them there you can't deny people from improving their circumstances through choosing where to work

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Yes. They should be able to play county cricket or IPL or whatever they want, but it should not prevent them from being able to represent their own country.
wouldn't work though would it? The main point of kolpak deals is they get to play as local players isn't it?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If any Saffer could just go and play county cricket then would dramatically reduce the amount of Englishmen playing county cricket, thereby weakening the pool for national selection even further.

If only.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Any Saffer can just go and play county cricket, as could any Slovakian or Samoan.

Might be more chances for locals if Oliver etc missed a month or 2 on international duty.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Limited slots for overseas players, always has been. The whole point of Kolpak from a county team point of view is to bypass those restrictions

TheJediBrah

Is Kolpak an amalgamation of Kolkata and Pakistan?
named after the player that first did it or who the rule was made for IIRC. would take .3 seconds to google it tbh

Would be better if it was an amalgamation of those though. Could be a good story behind it

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Kolpak an amalgamation of Kolkata and Pakistan?
It was named after Slovakian handballer, and his legal battle in looking to ply his trade in Germany. An EU law, wouldn't even be in place now if not from the UK government making a complete horses arse out of Brexit, but that is a discussion for another day

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What will it hypothetically take for Olivier to reverse his decision? If he gets a lucrative IPL contract (£100,000 sounds like an amount IPL can afford) can he continue to play for South Africa? Somebody should do that to keep this talented guy in international cricket. Shame we will lose him to domestic cricket.

MrPrez

International Debutant
What will it hypothetically take for Olivier to reverse his decision? If he gets a lucrative IPL contract (£100,000 sounds like an amount IPL can afford) can he continue to play for South Africa? Somebody should do that to keep this talented guy in international cricket. Shame we will lose him to domestic cricket.
I highly doubt he'd reverse his decision. It's not only money; many South Africans like the idea of moving to England, period.

Also, with guys like Nortje, Ngidi, and Sipambla coming through, he's unlikely to ever be in a situation when he comes back and is a definite in the starting XI. That ship will have sailed while he plays in England.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is sad as ****. His test record is looking insanely good. Potential amazing test career ended too early