• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia Tour of India 2019

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair I brought that up. I don't even fully agree with it, as I've been saying he should be playing tests for years. But Langer sure thinks that way. And in white ball stuff I feel he's becoming more and more a shot a ball player. Which I think suits the direction ODIs are heading in anyway

100 S/R seems to be his baseline. Like his bare minimum output. It's often far higher. Just need him to last more balls an innings. But coming in at 7 in the 46th feels like a total waste yeah

Edit - actually I guess 120 is his baseline. 100 is his bottom end. Like he never plays a wasteful 15(24) type innings

Last edited:

mr_mister

Except in world cups of course. Though itl be interesting in a few months when they've each had the chance to play one home cup each. See who comes out on top

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't you just proven what Langer was saying? Because he plays the same way regardless of situation and that way is by definition a high risk method, it means he's inconsistent and not suited to batting higher up where they set the tone.

Look at England's line up. Probably the least destructive batsman comes in at 3 and is damn consistent then Morgan at 4 plays the situation. Buttler (the equivalent to Maxwell albeit an upgrade on him) comes in at 5 or 6 depending on situation. I'm pretty sure that on Wednesday he'd have come in at 6 if Morgan rather than Hales had been 3rd man out.
You're missing a lot here.

Look at the rest of the England team compared to Australia's. Aus don't have the quality of Root and Morgan to bat 3 and 4 (at least atm). The biggest problem with Maxwell batting 7 is 2 or 3 of the blokes batting ahead of him aren't good enough to tie his boots, and you can't afford to have a guy of Maxwell's talent to come in at 5/200 in the 44th over, when batting him at 3 or 4 could get you 350.

vcs

Except in world cups of course. Though itl be interesting in a few months when they've each had the chance to play one home cup each. See who comes out on top
Nah, one World Cup won't magically erase the last 4 years where Buttler has been consistently brilliant and Maxwell's been busy doing **** all.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Buttler is miles ahead of Maxwell, and that's no slight on Maxwell.

Big tournament here and Buttler will be pretty close to outright ATG status. He's that good.

Daemon

Nah, one World Cup won't magically erase the last 4 years where Buttler has been consistently brilliant and Maxwell's been busy doing **** all.
Agreed. However if Maxwell does **** all then turns up in the WC finals, he'll be rightly regarded as one of the best ODI players of all time.

Burner

International Regular
Buttler has been iffy in any sort of pressure games tbf. I still remember that CT final vs India and the way in which he got out.

mr_mister

I was just soley comparing them in world cups with my post, and was interested what their WC record will show in a few months time

In no way was I trying to imply Maxwell is better than Butler in ODIs overall

Last edited:

Burgey

But as has been definitively proven previously, the only thing which matters in ODIs is a WC. Anything else is a glorified centre wicket practice session. If Buttler stinks it up when it matters at the WC, he will always be an ODI nuffie.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

But as has been definitively proven previously, the only thing which matters in ODIs is a WC. Anything else is a glorified centre wicket practice session. If Buttler stinks it up when it matters at the WC, he will always be an ODI nuffie.
There's a lot of truth to this tbh

In addition, bilateral ODI series in the last 10 years have been quite poor quality, there's always a few of the best players being rested from either side

stephen

In addition, bilateral ODI series in the last 10 years have been quite poor quality, there's always a few of the best players being rested from either side
Yeah it's a long way from the ODI glory days of the 90s where every tri series mattered. Beating England or the West Indies or Pakistan in ODIs was not guaranteed and it felt important.

Daemon

Wouldn’t say a decade, but certainly the case since maybe 2012/13 or so when Patto/Cummins kickstarted a global rotation policy trend.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly I'm sorry but Jadhav and Rayudu have to go, I know its a bit mean given they've performed reasonably well in recent times but India simply needs more firepower come WC time.

Just imagine this line up:

Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Dhoni (wk)
Pant / Pandya
Pant / Pandya
Jadeja / Vijay Shankar
Jadeja / Vijay Shankar
Kuldeep / Chahal
Bhuvi / Shammi
Bumrah

That would make for arguably one the most varied bowling and destructive battine Indian line up in the last 4-5 years.

Daemon

That's going to see 50-3 become 200 all out most times. No one after the top 3 can build an innings. In a tournament, you need to avoid risky lineups until the knockouts and Jadhav is decent insurance.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
That's going to see 50-3 become 200 all out most times. No one after the top 3 can build an innings.
I disagree, Pandya and Pant are better batters than given credit for, they can do more than just blast away at the end, unfortunately they haven't been given the chance to build an innings, Jadeja to can bat well if given time. Vijay Shankar can be sent at 4 and keep Dhoni lower down in case of an early collapse.

Another small but important factor is the fitness and fielding levels, both Rayudu and Jadhav are weak fielders and slow in the field, they also tire out faster, we can't have that in a WC. Pandya - Jadeja - Pant - Shankar can make a difference fielding wise.

Daemon

Assuming I must pick Dhoni, I'd go with this.

Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Jadhav
Dhoni +
Pant/Karthik
Pandya
Chahal
Kuldeep
Shami
Bumrah

Could even have Rahul come in at 3 and everyone down a spot with no Karthik/Pant. They've never tried this out though, disappointingly.