cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: *Official* Australia Tour of India 2019

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    I thought keeping politics out of sport was like a massive thing. I was weirded out by the caps
    You would have to leave that for people affected by it (i.e. Indians) to pass a comment on. Loss of 40 lives in that attack which left the families collecting fragments of bodies of their loved ones is painful and has sensitivities attached to it. What Indian team did by wearing the caps was a great gesture.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I don't know if I'd call Gallipoli military glorification. It was an important part of our national history, but it's more about remembering the cost and futility of war than glorifying our armed forces.

If we wanted to glorify our armed forces we'd be doing tours of the well of Beersheba and the other historical sites from the Sinai campaign in WWI.
    Cant agree with that these days.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Generally a black arm band would do. The Pakistan pushups were cringe and the military cap worn the other night made me immediately think of anti Pakistan sentiments

I'm sure it's justified but it looks odd to the outside world imo. I just think most military glorifications are really old hat. MS Dhonis honourary colonel rank included.

And yes the Steve Waugh digger stuff was weird too
    Last edited by mr_mister; 13-03-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    cricket rules brah

International Debutant
    Civilians should stay the **** out of military matters, period. I say that as neither hawk nor peace maven. War is unfortunate, but also sometimes necessary. Have some tact and class and get on with what you're paid to do.

Disregarding all the politics, I thought the caps actually looked pretty sick.

And I mean sick as in it looked cool.

BSM
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    What are the ICC's stance on political gestures in cricket anyway? Haven't some teams been punished for similar messages or am I just getting this confused with football (i.e. the whole poppy fiasco with England)

I agree with what some people have said here. Black armbands or even caps, would have sufficed as a gesture to those affected by the attack. But the military caps would give the impression of simultaneous support for military action against Pakistan, which obviously is not something that should be represented in a game of sport, and especially in one where the other country is a key nation.

Quote Originally Posted by BSM View Post
    What are the ICC's stance on political gestures in cricket anyway? Haven't some teams been punished for similar messages or am I just getting this confused with football (i.e. the whole poppy fiasco with England)

I agree with what some people have said here. Black armbands or even caps, would have sufficed as a gesture to those affected by the attack. But the military caps would give the impression of simultaneous support for military action against Pakistan, which obviously is not something that should be represented in a game of sport, and especially in one where the other country is a key nation.
    It was in solidarity with the families of 40+ military men who were killed in suicide bombing. Not in support of air strike.
    Last edited by ankitj; 14-03-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

BSM
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    It was in solidarity with the families of 40+ military men who were killed in suicide bombing. Not in support of air strike.
    Doesn't mean that they have to wear military colours though? Black is a pretty universal colour of mourning

I'm not saying that that wasn't what they were doing with the military caps, just that it doesn't work that great as a separate and isolated commemoration of the victims in the context of real military tensions. That's plain to see.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    It seems that you've rather misunderstood his point. Wearing something like a black arm band is a well established way of showing solidarity for tragedies. Wearing a military cap is different and can easily be construed as sending a message beyond that of 'mere' mourning and solidarity, particularly from the perspective of an outsider looking at it from a more neutral perspective.

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960

Thread Information