• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

“Universally Challenged” Draft Idea

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Faoud Bacchus

1. Devon Smith
2. Faoud Bacchus
9. Brian Murphy
10. Adam Sanford
11. Raphick Jumadeen

a massive zebra

International Captain
Maitland Hathorn, a middle order batsman who unfortunately made a Test century and yet finished with a sub 20 average after just 12 Tests.

2. Louis Stricker
5. Maitland Hathorn
7. Mohammad Sharif
8. Guy de Alwis (wk)
10. Andy Whittall

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Syd Gregory. Avgd 24 from 58 tests as a specalist bat despite a few tons. The original Ashraful

mr_mister

And for my other player I'll take Nixon McLean, who never produced anything better than a 3 fer as a bowler in 19 tests playing as one. Didn't exactly have stiff competition for wickets either

a massive zebra

International Captain
Syd Gregory. Avgd 24 from 58 tests as a specalist bat despite a few tons. The original Ashraful
That is rather harsh on Gregory, IMO. Although he was clearly no superstar, if you take into account the average scores of his time, I'm pretty sure Gregory's standardised average will be much higher than Ashraful.

In Gregory's generation, you had bowlers averaging under 20 and the best batsmen in his side (Trumper and Hill) averaged around 40 rather than the 50+ achieved by players of a similar calibre in modern times. I would suggest an average of 30 is a fair reflection of his ability. Nothing special, but far from "the original Ashraful".

Last edited:

mr_mister

That's a more than fair point zebra, I was a bit harsh

But he played 100 test innings and crossed 50 twelve times. I dunno if he was making a lot of useful 30s and 40s, but maaan that's a lot of tests where he's contributing zip lol. 58 is such a huge career pre WW1 lol

a massive zebra

International Captain
To back up what I was saying, the overall Test batting average between Gregory's first and last Test was 25.84, while the equivalent figure for the last ten years is 33.02, or 28% higher. If we uplift Syd Gregory's average by the same proportion, we get an average of 31.34. Relatively mediocre, but well above Ashraful standard.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I hate to do that thing where we focus a lot on an innings or whatever, but he got 201* early in his career in 1894. In the time his career overlapped with Trunper and Hill his personal contribution must have been pretty garbage lol

a massive zebra

International Captain
That's a more than fair point zebra, I was a bit harsh

But he played 100 test innings and crossed 50 twelve times. I dunno if he was making a lot of useful 30s and 40s, but maaan that's a lot of tests where he's contributing zip lol. 58 is such a huge career pre WW1 lol
Sure, Gregory was highly inconsistent and failed far more often than he succeeded. But he still had a number of notable successes, including one of the earliest Test double centuries. I believe Gregory kept his place in the side for so long despite his inconsistent and relatively limited run scoring due to his outstanding fielding, another factor that should be taken into consideration when judging players. The Wisden Cricketers Almanack's of his time leave one in no doubt that there were few if any better fielders in the world during his time. For instance, here is a quote from his Wisden obituary:

Wisden said:
the cricket field has seen no more brilliant cover-point. Clever in anticipation and quick to move, he got to and stopped the hardest of hits, gathered the ball cleanly and returned it with deadly accuracy. His work, indeed, was always an inspiration to his colleagues and a joy to the spectators.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I hate to do that thing where we focus a lot on an innings or whatever, but he got 201* early in his career in 1894. In the time his career overlapped with Trunper and Hill his personal contribution must have been pretty garbage lol
From Trumper's debut on 1st June 1899 until the end of his career, Gregory played 39 Tests and scored 1,374 runs at 22.16 with 2 centuries. So marginally inferior to his overall career record, but not by much.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Noel McGregor, who averaged less than 20 from 25 Tests and was a member of the New Zealand side that were bowled out for 26, the lowest completed innings in Tests. He also averaged just 25 in first class cricket.

2. Louis Stricker
4. Noel McGregor
5. Maitland Hathorn
7. Mohammad Sharif
8. Guy de Alwis (wk)
10. Andy Whittall

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Kris Srikkanth

CricZo XI

1. Kris Srikkanth /
2. Jehan Mubarak /
3. Ken Rutherford / (c)
4. Talat Ali /
8. Ajit Agarkar o /
11. Ashish Nehra o

a massive zebra

International Captain
Flem274 times out again. In future rounds, unless Flem has caught up, we can skip him. I think four consecutive time outs is more than enough.

marc71178 > Michaelf7777777 > MrPrez