• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Young Dale Steyn

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not on 430-odd wickets, I'm on 20

"After not playing for two years, I feel like it's a blessing to just be playing again. I've almost had to start over. I'm not on 430-odd wickets, I'm on 20 since breaking Shaun Pollock's record. It's nice to finish a three-Test series against Pakistan and not have someone write: 'He's an injury away from retiring.' It's nice to contribute again. Hopefully I can continue this for longer.

When I'm bowling 10-over spells, it shows I'm enjoying what I do. I could take the easy option, take 4 for 30 and go and stand at fine leg and tell someone else to do it. But it's fun. It's fun taking wickets. It's fun hitting guys on the head. As long as nothing serious happens.

The moment I can't bowl 140-145 kph, and on a good day touch 150 kph like in fast Australian wickets, then you've got to ask yourself the question: How good am I? I've got to be honest - I don't have all the skill in the world. I've got to bowl at a high pace consistently, over a long period of time. With a little bit of skill - I can shape it away, and I can bring it back in. You've got to be smart about when to bowl a bouncer, when to bowl a yorker, and when to bowl a slower ball, and that's what experience is. After 15 years, I've got some of that."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This young Steyn fellow looks good. Although he's only taken 20 or so wickets, I predict big things for him. I don't want to heap pressure on him at such an early stage of his career, but I can see him becoming an all time great fast bowler if he plays for long enough.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It is great as a SA that we keep this wonderful conveyor belt of fast bowlers, hopefully this young Steyn that shows what he is made of leads the SA attack in the future....

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best attitude on a fast bowler since Lillee.

Why is it that fast bowlers are always the coolest cricketers (Gayle excepted)? Miller, Lillee, Ambrose, McGrath, Steyn. All far cooler than any batsman ever.

MrPrez

International Debutant
"I don't have all the skill in the world," said the greatest bowler of the past 15 years, and arguably the greatest bowler South Africa has ever had.

What a legend.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
"I don't have all the skill in the world," said the greatest bowler of the past 15 years, and arguably the greatest bowler South Africa has ever had.

What a legend.
As much as I loved Donald and a few others.... I don't think this is a point of argument anymore.

MrPrez

International Debutant
As much as I loved Donald and a few others.... I don't think this is a point of argument anymore.
Agreed. Just didn't want to see the thread turn into a Donald vs Steyn ****show, or anything similar, when we should all be basking in the majesty of our lord and saviour, the Phalaborwa Express.

Bolo

State Captain
Amusing. He seems to have pushed the flip switch and regressed to the start of his career in his understanding of what makes a good bowler as well.

A couple of hundred wickets ago he was talking about how he is maturing as a bowler, learning its not smart to try bowl quick all the time etc.

Maybe he'll get sick of trying to bowl quick all the time when hes 45 and decide to pace himself again. Hopefully we see a few hundred wickets from young exciting steyn first though.

Flem274*

123/5
steyn is one of the few cricketers who can destroy your beloved team and not only are you ok with it, your pants are down and you're posting on cw one handed

Daemon

Why is it that fast bowlers are always the coolest cricketers (Gayle excepted)? Miller, Lillee, Ambrose, McGrath, Steyn. All far cooler than any batsman ever.
You forgot the coolest of them all, Viv.

Imran is another one :wub:

Steyn is a fast bowler, surfs, fishes and loves his doggos. Literally the perfect man.

Slifer

International Captain

Btw McGrath was a great great fast bowler but imo he wasnt cool, he was a complete A hole.

Stefan9

International Debutant
So good to see the great man back to his best. Was so worried that shoulder injury would be the end.

Spikey

as i recall, young steyn got smacked all around Docklands and subbed out of the game. he should aim higher

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I remember watching his debut, and several of the commentators saying he reminded them of a young Brett Lee. Didn't quite live up to that billing I guess, but still, not far off. A good lad.

SillyCowCorner1

'Do you like boys?' Shannon Gabriel

Bolo

State Captain
He is quick these days in odis. Hits a consistent pace in the mid 140s. I'm guessing this drops into mid 140s for certain spells. Odd ball in the late 140s. Is anyone quicker than this these days? Some of the guys who used to be are old and slow these days. Probably tired legs. More than 20 wickets can be tough.

Starc was the quickest last I remember. Last time I saw him i dont think he was going above low 140s (so probably 155 on an aussie gun). Who is quicker?