• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb decides the Greatest Players Post World War I

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Australia:
Bradman, Miller,Lindwall,Davidson, Benaud, Lillee, Chappell, Border, Waugh, Warne, Mcgrath,Ponting, Gilchrist,S Smith

England:

Hobbs, Hammond, Hutton,Trueman,Barrington,Grieg,Botham,Pieterson,Knott

WI:

Headley,Worrell,Weekes,Walcott,Sobers,Richards,Garner,Holding,Marshall,Ambrose,Walsh,Lara, Chanderpaul

SA:

G Pollock,Donald, S Pollock, Kallis, G Smith, Steyn,Devilliers

India:

Gavaskar, Kapil, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kohli, Ashwin

Pakistan:

Imran, Miandad, Wasim, Waqar, Younis Khan

SL:

Murali, Sangakkara

NZ:

Hadlee, Cairns

Zim:

Andy Flower

Bangladesh:

Shakib

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Charlie Macartney should probably get a mention. One of the best batsmen of the 1920s.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I've seen a few nominations for Kohli - is he really in the running for this (i.e. top 50 or whatever?)

I think there's no doubt that he'll end up joining Sachin and Gavaskar as India's best batsman ever, but maybe still too early to call it?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be more interested if we made a list about the greatest cricketers across formats.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be more interested if we made a list about the greatest cricketers across formats.
I'm okay with this if this gains traction. I did not specify test in the OP. You may interpret greatness broadly as with the Wisden list but some things to consider would be their on field performance, stats, impact on the game eg efforts to popularize it or breaking new ground, X factor and so on.

Have we got enough names?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I've seen a few nominations for Kohli - is he really in the running for this (i.e. top 50 or whatever?)

I think there's no doubt that he'll end up joining Sachin and Gavaskar as India's best batsman ever, but maybe still too early to call it?
I think he is already there. Multiple reasons.

1) Already scored 25 test hundreds. That is insane at this stage of his career(Same goes for Smith as well). He is barely 30. All other batsmen who scored so many hundreds so young have ended up ATGs. Many have limped to this milestone. He hasn't.

2) Kohli is an all conditions batsman. I had reservations till the Eng series last year. Now he has had great series in Aus, NZ, SA and Eng.

3) Aura and presence at the crease. He means business from the time he comes to bat.

4) Captaincy does not affect his batting. I don't hold this as a negative against great leaders who have had poor tenures as captains, however it is definitely a positive for him.

5) Insane levels of fitness and energy, ultra high levels of motivation. Bloody minded player.