• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root: Nothing wrong with being gay

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To be clear my point wasn’t so much that ICC shouldn’t have policy that goes against local laws, but more whether it’s questionable to play Test Cricket there in the first place given the laws contradict ICC policy. I mean ultimately I don’t think there should be laws anywhere regarding hate speech but have no problem with sporting bodies handing out punishments for them - so I’m not bothered about ICC obeying St Lucia law.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
generally speaking, the sports circuit tends to break a few local laws wherever they go (most prominently, advertising regulations). I think this is a good thing, it shows the local population that the laws aren't for ever immutable.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
generally speaking, the sports circuit tends to break a few local laws wherever they go (most prominently, advertising regulations). I think this is a good thing, it shows the local population that the laws aren't for ever immutable.
Yeah fair comment.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how anyone can judge this case until in possession of the knowledge of Gabriel's remark(s). Gabriel could have called Root a ''pansy'' for all we know!
If it was something colloquial like batty boy or chi chi man then I’m surprised it registered with Root.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Nah.

Imagine if Gabriel had said "Taxes are great".

If the ICC wanted to punish people for using this sort of offensive language during one of their events they would be perfectly entitled to imo. The fact that this would be contrary to the public policy of whatever nation the match was being held would be irrelevant.
If it relates to a moral stance that is held by the ICC members then the country stance isn't necessarily irrelevant. You have to ask why is it offensive? One obvious example is that racial taunts/racism are prohibited. South Africa's apartheid policy was obviously considered relevant by the ICC and various other sporting bodies.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Intersting. Are there other test nations where homosexuality is illegal?
I think it's illegal in the Muslim countries (Pakistan and Bangladesh). It was illegal in India till a few months ago too. I personally think GIMH has highlighted an important fact. We sometimes be too idealistic within a small boundary (here, the St. Lucia cricket ground boundary rope) but fail to address these issues in the wider world. We live in a world where most people would still support Gabriel and not Root. That makes me sad.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. And he highlighted this fact for the purposes of making which point?
I don't know. But my point was an extension from the fact he highlighted. Don't get stuck on the semantics. I am editing my post accordingly if that makes you happy.