• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2019

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
broken record, but what exactly has southee done to earn game time? If he's going to be dropped he's needs to actually show better performances than his competitors in domestix before coming back otherwise it doesn't really show us anything.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So Tastle was included in the squad for this series ahead of Sodhi but then only played on match. I'm confused. I thought it was a trial to see if he was worth having ahead of Sodhi.

I'm assuming they rate Tastle ahead of Sodhi now in ODIs, which seems bizarre to me - Sodhi bowled fairly well against India and as Styris pointed out in commentary, Tastle has only bowled 35 ODI overs in his career (now 45).

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
broken record, but what exactly has southee done to earn game time? If he's going to be dropped he's needs to actually show better performances than his competitors in domestix before coming back otherwise it doesn't really show us anything.
When Henry is finally getting some game time, it’s juet bizarre that they’d rest him yet again, as well. He’s hardly in danger of being overworked.

The Hutt Rec

So Tastle was included in the squad for this series ahead of Sodhi but then only played on match. I'm confused. I thought it was a trial to see if he was worth having ahead of Sodhi.

I'm assuming they rate Tastle ahead of Sodhi now in ODIs, which seems bizarre to me - Sodhi bowled fairly well against India and as Styris pointed out in commentary, Tastle has only bowled 35 ODI overs in his career (now 45).
I think you’d have to be on LSD to make any sense of what Larsen has been up to the past four years with the ODI side.

Mike5181

International Captain
They've got a fairly strong first XI settled and that's fine. I've given up trying to figure out the logic behind the rest of the squad, though.

The Hutt Rec

They've got a fairly strong first XI settled and that's fine. I've given up trying to figure out the logic behind the rest of the squad, though.
Hmm, I thought Dylan Cleaver summed it up pretty well in the Herald the other day:

So, having had about four years to come up with something, New Zealand will head to England with an unproven opening batting combination; with little clue as to what they'll get from their lower middle order hitters; with serious question marks over a second spinner (including whether they actually need one); and only slightly less serious question marks over their death bowling.

IKWT

Cricket Spectator
My understanding of the catch rule is that if you've stepped out of play, you have to step back into play before catching it. The fielder was still in thr air (last step was out of play).

If this is the rule, you could technically stand on the fence and jump in to catch the ball!

vandem

International 12th Man
My understanding of the catch rule is that if you've stepped out of play, you have to step back into play before catching it. The fielder was still in thr air (last step was out of play).

If this is the rule, you could technically stand on the fence and jump in to catch the ball!
IIRC they changed the rule about 2 seasons ago, is now OK as long as you don't have contact with the ball and part of your body touching the boundary or touching over the boundary at the same time.

So yes, a well timed jump from the top of the grandstand would be OK, as long as you landed inside the rope ...

IKWT

Cricket Spectator
Icc playing conditions seem to say otherwise?

19.5 Fielder grounded beyond the boundary
19.5.1 A fielder is grounded beyond the boundary if some part of his
person is in contact with any of the following:
– the boundary or any part of an object used to mark
the boundary;
– the ground beyond the boundary;
– any object that is in contact with the ground beyond
the boundary;
– another fielder who is grounded beyond the boundary.
19.5.2 A fielder who is not in contact with the ground is considered to
be grounded beyond the boundary if his final contact with the
ground, before his first contact with the ball after it has been
delivered by the bowler, was not entirely within the boundary.

BeeGee

International Captain

You're correct. The fielder's last contact with the ground before taking the catch has to be inside the boundary.