• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2019

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
looking ahead, does Young come straight in at 3, or do we give him a bit of a cushier dayboo at 5 with everyone shuffling up one, or Nicholls swapping to 3?

I'd be inclined to give Nicholls a run at 3 for the hell of it. Young at 5.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
At one stage in this test Southee's was under 30. Not often we have three sub 30 average seamers in the same side with 100+ wickets each.
Also with this game, Boult has elbowed his way ahead of Southee in the wicket's column, with 246 to Southee's 245. You'd suspect that given Southee and Wagner will be wrestling for the 2nd seamer's spot on sub-continent tours, Boult will streak away from Southee in the years to come.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
looking ahead, does Young come straight in at 3, or do we give him a bit of a cushier dayboo at 5 with everyone shuffling up one, or Nicholls swapping to 3?

I'd be inclined to give Nicholls a run at 3 for the hell of it. Young at 5.
Will Young bats at 3 for his province, while I believe the highest Nicholls has ever batted in FC cricket is 4. Throw in the fact that the opposition is probably below Plunket Shield standard, and I think it's best to give Young a run at 3.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Wagner may very well be my hero. Need to do an updated count on his percentage of short ball wickets, he keeps doing it.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Neil Wagner may very well be my hero. Need to do an updated count on his percentage of short ball wickets, he keeps doing it.
WagnerShortBall.JPG

Edit correction, didn't include the word "wicket";
WagnerShortBallWicket.JPG

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ooft.

Actually I just did a count, since I'm obsessed unhealthily with Wags. 87 of his 174 wickets are definite short balls. Probably under-counted by one or two, but that is perfect symmetry.
The percentage will be way higher post 2015. That 6fer that he took against Australia was a bit of a Eureka moment - comparable to Hadlee realising the benefits of a short run-up in Sunday League cricket.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The percentage will be way higher post 2015. That 6fer that he took against Australia was a bit of a Eureka moment - comparable to Hadlee realising the benefits of a short run-up in Sunday League cricket.
75 out of his 119 wickets from the first Sri Lankan test at the end of 2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
75 out of his 119 wickets from the first Sri Lankan test at the end of 2014
Yep, and that's not even considering that a good number of the remaining 44 wickets would've been a result of the classic "push 'em back, and then dish up a carrot ball to induce a leaden-footed prod" tactic.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That's 5 consecutive test series wins now.

The overall record is 9 (shared by an early England side, the great Aussie team, and India 2015-16).

If we play well and have some luck we can beat Sri Lanka away and England at home to be on 7 before the 3 tests in Australia next summer.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Would play Young, Blundell and Ferguson next match, and might as well include Astle too. Williamson and Watling injured, rest Boult who's had a big season and rest either Southee or Henry.

Raval
Latham
Young
Taylor
Nicholls
Blundell
De Grandhomme
Astle
Wagner
Henry/Southee
Ferguson

Binkley

U19 Captain
Would play Young, Blundell and Ferguson next match, and might as well include Astle too. Williamson and Watling injured, rest Boult who's had a big season and rest either Southee or Henry.

Raval
Latham
Young
Taylor
Nicholls
Blundell
De Grandhomme
Astle
Wagner
Henry/Southee
Ferguson
I would love to see Ferguson and Young play, but (assuming Kane recovers) I just can’t see how the selectors could justify it. We have played so little cricket this season that there isn’t anybody who deserves to be rested.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I would love to see Ferguson and Young play, but (assuming Kane recovers) I just can’t see how the selectors could justify it. We have played so little cricket this season that there isn’t anybody who deserves to be rested.
The prognosis for Kane is that he'll be out for 1-2 weeks, so I really doubt he'll be fit for the third test. A debut would be a really nice reward for an excellent season from Young.

Ferguson I can't see playing. He's already behind Henry in the queue, and he didn't even play for Auckland this week. I can't imagine that a test call-up against a weak Bangladesh side is a particularly strong area of focus for either him or the selectors 3 months out from the World Cup.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ferguson I can't see playing. He's already behind Henry in the queue, and he didn't even play for Auckland this week. I can't imagine that a test call-up against a weak Bangladesh side is a particularly strong area of focus for either him or the selectors 3 months out from the World Cup.
Yeah playing Ferguson here is a fantasy and won't happen, though I continue to hope that it will some time soon.

Any idea why he didn't play for Auckland?

Binkley

U19 Captain
Lordy, the forecast for Christchurch looks pretty bad. Which is depressing. But not nearly as depressing as the thought that this is the last test of the season.