• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2019

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
So the absolute locks among those of us here (correct me if I'm wrong) seem to be;

Guptill
_
KW
Taylor
Latham +
Neesham
CDG
Santner
_
Ferguson
Boult

Spots for debate being Guppy's opening partner and 3rd pace bowler (second spinner on spinners track).
Not personally a huge fan of CdG as a first choice player. Would like to see Sodhi more often than not. Third seamer for me is Henry, every day of the week.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not personally a huge fan of CdG as a first choice player. Would like to see Sodhi more often than not. Third seamer for me is Henry, every day of the week.
How did we get around Henry's inability not to be cannon-fodder after his new ball spell?

Dick Rockett

I had a bad feeling he'd get a good return today against weak opp to sneak in the backdoor.
I mean I want him to do well but jeez he makes it hard to like him. He's still leaked 53 runs off 8 today and bowled too many damn wides.

Dick Rockett

How did we get around Henry's inability not to be cannon-fodder after his new ball spell?
I think he's improving the more games he gets. At any rate there's no obligation to bowl him at the death, there's plenty of other options.

Zinzan

Taylor's had such a great overall career in all formats. It's kind of snuck up on me how superb his numbers are.
I really hate to say this, but there's something a little Amla-esque about his ODI record, although I do think he's better than Amla.

Don't get me wrong, great ODI bat, but his numbers do flatter him slightly.

Last edited:

Zinzan

I think he's improving the more games he gets. At any rate there's no obligation to bowl him at the death, there's plenty of other options.
It's not even about the death, it's even his mid innings spells which I have little confidence in. I'd much rather Bennett (but he's clearly out of the race) or Milne (but I do not know if he'll be fit on time).

Moss

It's not even about the death, it's even his mid innings spells which I have little confidence in. I'd much rather Bennett (but he's clearly out of the race) or Milne (but I do not know if he'll be fit on time).
Serves NZ right for refusing to explore other options in the last 2-3 years, but on recent evidence (the India series onwards) Henry > Southee even taking into account his issues with an older ball.

Dick Rockett

I agree Bennett's been shafted but if you look at Henry's performances this season he's been pretty decent. He's been hammered a couple of times - once when everyone was - but has otherwise been pretty economical and takes wickets too.

Edit: Basically I think he's a good bowler who started brilliantly and I'm confident he can recapture that kind of form as long as the selectors show some faith in him and actually play him.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Serves NZ right for refusing to explore other options in the last 2-3 years, but on recent evidence Henry > Southee even taking into account his issues with an older ball.
No argument from me that doesn't Henry > Southee

The Hutt Rec

Serves NZ right for refusing to explore other options in the last 2-3 years, but on recent evidence (the India series onwards) Henry > Southee even taking into account his issues with an older ball.
I think the last few years, Southee's issues with the older ball have been even worse! 120k half trackers.

Dick Rockett

I really hate to say this, but there's something a little Amla-esque about his ODI record, although I do think he's better than Amla.

Don't get me wrong, great ODI bat, but his numbers do flatter him slightly.
Sorry mate, I'm gonna have to fight you over this ;)

vcs

Taylor's Test record in recent years does have a fair amount of weak team/easy conditions bullying. His ODI record though, is superb. I would say he's only behind Kohli and Rohit over the past few years in ODIs (and those two have been superhuman, so no shame in that).