• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

SeamUp

International Coach
Schedule

Tests
13-17 February (Durban)
21-25 February (Port Elizabeth)

50-Overs
28 February v SA Inv (Benoni)

3 March (Joburg)
6 March (Centurion)
10 March (Durban)
13 March (Port Elizabeth)
16 March (Cape Town)

T20
19 March (Cape Town)
22 March (Centurion)
24 March (Joburg)

A few days ago Chandimal said this: https://m.sport24.co.za/Cricket/sri-lanka-captain-well-bounce-back-in-sa-20190204

Now he has been left out of Sri Lanka's test squad.

Sri Lanka Test squad for South Africa. #SAvSL
Dimuth Karunaratne – Stand-in Captain
N Dickwella – V Capt
L Thirimanne
K Silva
K Mendis
K Perera
M Siriwardana
D De Silva
Oshada Fernando
Angelo Perera
S Lakmal
K Rajitha
V Fernando
C Karunaratne
M Shiraz
L Sandakan
L Embuldeniya

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't expect this to be anything less than an SA walkover. Who the hell are some of those people?

SeamUp

International Coach
:laugh: As I said in the Australia tour thread. Man I feel for them. A schedule from hell almost for any Sri Lankan squad and never mind where their cricket is at , at the moment. One ray of sunshine is their games are in PE and Durban.

Not sure how they can send Chandimal back to domestic in the state they in.

Dimuth Karunaratne – Stand-in Captain
N Dickwella – V Capt
L Thirimanne
K Silva
K Mendis
K Perera
M Siriwardana
D De Silva
Oshada Fernando
Angelo Perera
S Lakmal
K Rajitha
V Fernando
C Karunaratne
M Shiraz
L Sandakan
L Embuldeniya
The one's in bold are new names to me.

Angelo Perera just scored twin doubles in a game : Full Scorecard of Nondescripts Cricket Club vs Sinhalese Sports Club, Premier League Tournament Tier A, Super Eight - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

Angelo Perera - Check Perera's News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Oshada Fernando - Check Fernando's News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Vishwa Fernando - Check Fernando's News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com (Played in Australia)

Chamika Karunaratne - Check News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com (Played in Australia)

Mohamed Shiraz - Check Shiraz's News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Lasith Embuldeniya - Check News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com (Looks like the 2nd spinner who has jumped a few from their home season)

Siriwardana Re-called after nearly 3 years

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SL playing so much Test cricket in a World Cup year is surprising, they usually prepare well for ICC tournaments. Maybe they've just given up on ODI cricket seeing how poor they've been at it in recent times. :p

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
As I said in the Australia tour thread. Man I feel for them. A schedule from hell almost for any Sri Lankan squad and never mind where their cricket is at , at the moment. One ray of sunshine is their games are in PE and Durban.
Have a shot in PE and Durban; spinniest pitches and SA's batsmen inability to play against decent spin gives them 1/100th of a shout.

morgieb

Chandimal dropped? One of the most WTF decisions of all-time.

Imagine if this series was played in Gauteng. Sri Lanka probably wouldn't cross 100.

vcs

Unless one of those new guys is some mystery spinner that SA have never encountered, they'll be hammered.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It astonishes me, just how screwed up Sri Lankan sport is. Leaving out Chandimal is so stupid it would be funny if only the context wasn't so appalling.

Hohns and Chappell are small frys compared to some of the decision makers round the traps in SL.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Can be another humilating tour for SA, dont see how dropping Chandimal completely helps them as well!!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm probably just knee jerking but my first reaction when I read the squad was that dropping Chandimal could quite possibly be the worst selection decision of all time. I certainly can't remember a worse one off the top of my head. I hope they lose every game by five innings and an infinite amount of runs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
so no chandimal and no mathews?

they're insane
Mathews is injured.

But it does make the decision to leave Chandimal out even more insane. Anyone who had any hand in it whatsoever should never be allowed to work in the cricket industry again.

SillyCowCorner1

They removed him from the selection panel during the tour of Australia.

Maybe he was the only one preventing Chandimal being dropped even earlier. :laugh:
And that guy at the helm of selection is none other than Sanath? Or did they remove him as well? :lol:

Flem274*

123/5
Mathews is injured.
yea i know, poor phrasing on my part

which makes the chandimal call even worse. i'm open to dropping underperforming senior players, but not when the best player is already injured and the underperformer is far from the worst bat in the team.

Bahseph

State Captain
I read the news earlier and I honestly could not believe my eyes. Yeah so he hasn't been in the runs, but SA is a tough place to bat. You have to have a guy who's scored some runs there tour. Leave alone the fact that he is captain. Did I read that Thirimanne is in again? Now they really have to be taking the mickey.

Flem274*

123/5
lol i forgot thirimanne was back, somehow. he's the living embodiment of filler even when he bats. he can't score runs but he can stay in for a bit so he's just there, existing.

SillyCowCorner1

Lasith Embuldeniya is one of the guys I am looking forward to see bowl. Don't know how effective his SLA's will be against SA.

A FC avg of 20, with a strike rate of 39.

Hope he is Herath's replacement.

All the best