• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, Sri Lanka bowled very well with the new ball in Australia as well. Though not sure why South Africa need 5 bowlers at home and such a long tail. Hasn’t been many roads in recent years in the Republic.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF, Sri Lanka bowled very well with the new ball in Australia as well. Though not sure why South Africa need 5 bowlers at home and such a long tail. Hasn’t been many roads in recent years in the Republic.
Yeah went from 3/28 to 5/534 declared in the first innings. And Head and Khawaja put on 150 for the 4th wicket before declaring.

SeamUp

International Coach
How was that for a first ball in test cricket ? It's going to spin nicely here and there will be more bounce compared to PE where the spinner gets wickets more through patience.

trundler

Bavuma better get a big score and not just a crunch 40 odd that bails his team out.

SeamUp

International Coach
That was close to being an even session (60-40 Sri Lanka) in the end but that leg side strangle is a big win for Sri Lanka (80-20)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka needed that. They were bleeding runs and wasting a good start again. South Africa will look silly if they get rolled out for less than 200 here. Some movement early on but looks a decent surface.

SeamUp

International Coach
I admire what Otis has done in having this pace arsenal and I think from this summer we know we still have decent pace stocks after Abbott, M.Morkel are no longer.

I also admire coming out saying we wanted to win this summer 5-0 because we needed that ruthless mindset again.

But the batting issues haven't been sorted enough in my opinion and this summer has been short-termism there in my view so it probably means Amla and Faf will both be around for India and England. You can't throw Hamza, de Bruyn, Mulder all in at once in India.

Also the fact that Keshav missed out on the Pakistan series and we have India coming up. Whilst I understand it - I didn't mind it maybe for 2 tests in Joburg & Pretoria but now Cape Town has been added to the all pace list.

It does make me wonder if his stint was always to the world cup only.

trundler

Wow Sri Lanka's attack looks competent here. SA pitches might be too spicy after all.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Sri Lanka have a great opportunity here with Philander as SA's no.7. It's not the strongest batting lineup. But the thing is, they've consistently got themselves into these good situations. They had NZ struggling in the first day of the second test, and as someone else has said, Australia were not a lot for 3 before they got to 500 and declared. Hope the same doesn't happen here for their sake. Regardless though, I fear what SA's bowling attack is going to do to them here. Even anything around 175 would probably be competitive

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I admire what Otis has done in having this pace arsenal and I think from this summer we know we still have decent pace stocks after Abbott, M.Morkel are no longer.

I also admire coming out saying we wanted to win this summer 5-0 because we needed that ruthless mindset again.

But the batting issues haven't been sorted enough in my opinion and this summer has been short-termism there in my view so it probably means Amla and Faf will both be around for India and England. You can't throw Hamza, de Bruyn, Mulder all in at once in India.

Also the fact that Keshav missed out on the Pakistan series and we have India coming up. Whilst I understand it - I didn't mind it maybe for 2 tests in Joburg & Pretoria but now Cape Town has been added to the all pace list.

It does make me wonder if his stint was always to the world cup only.
I think that this is very much what it was; we shall see if Gibson stays on longer. Benkenstein as batting coach had as much to do with his also being a fielding coach.

We shall have to see if Gibson stays on. Would be a tough first tour as a new coach to go to India with little time after the WC. I also think Amla may retire after the WC based on his current performances.

Dendarii

International Debutant
It might seem odd to speak of it as such, but Olivier's performance against Pakistan has actually caused a bit of a problem. I doubt anyone expected him to do anything close to what he did, and the thinking was probably that he'd come in for one match as cover for Philander and also play in Joburg instead of a spinner, but for the Sri Lanka matches they'd go back to three seamers.

However, it's now turned into a situation where it's a very tough decision to make as to which one of the four seamers to leave out due to Olivier's current form and the others' pedigree. So they went for the easy way out by going all pace at Cape Town and now dropping a batsman for this match. But as difficult a decision as it is, it's one that needs to be made as neither option of Philander at 7 or no spinner are sustainable in the long run.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think that this is very much what it was; we shall see if Gibson stays on longer. Benkenstein as batting coach had as much to do with his also being a fielding coach.

We shall have to see if Gibson stays on. Would be a tough first tour as a new coach to go to India with little time after the WC. I also think Amla may retire after the WC based on his current performances.
Extremely tough and with a changing side.

Ford (Ireland & previously SA and Sri Lanka twice), Pybus (Windies), Arthur (Pakistan), a South African considered for the New Zealand job before the other guy go it.

* Also Shane Burger just got the Scotland gig. Been involved with SA A side after doing so well with KZN Inland.

Who would we go to next ? Maketa (think being assistant to Otis is a positive for him) , Prince, Boucher, Nkwe? Grant Morgan gets big raps at Dolphins but I've gone off him. Toyana, Adams and Klusener have fallen from their heights.

Rivash Gobind at the Warriors has done very well since taking over from Maketa..... in the MSL they got Eric Simons in for him to work with which would have been good for him with all his experience of SA and IPL etc

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka have always had a pretty handy new ball attack tbh, can think of many times in overseas tours where we would get early breakthroughs, particularly in England and New Zealand, but would struggle to run through the side after that.

Haven't been watching but I had a feeling watching the Aus tour that Lakmal was incredibly important to the attack, and him being there providing control and some movement is what allows guys like Vishwa Fernando to flourish, keen to see how the spinner goes too, read the scorecard and saw Karunaratne bowling and thought they had gone for Chamika again, sad to say but I was actually glad that Dimuth was bowling.

Nice surprise this anyway, anyone able to explain what happened with Amla and DRS?