• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

Bolo

State Captain
Mulder needs to play. If vern and kg are both considered properly fit, im guessing olivier sits out. Not much in the PE wicket for him anyway. Not much for Philander either, but he is a core member + batting + quotas.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shame. I'd have liked to see what they'd have done if he was fit. One of the most fascinating problems of plenty I've ever seen... dropping Olivier would've been a ballsy move. They might have just chickened out and left out Maharaj instead.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Shame. I'd have liked to see what they'd have done if he was fit. One of the most fascinating problems of plenty I've ever seen... dropping Olivier would've been a ballsy move. They might have just chickened out and left out Maharaj instead.
Could never leave out Maharaj at St Georges, like they could not leave him out at Kingsmeade. Selectors and/or captain needed to pull up their big boys pants and make a choice between Olivier and Steyn. Mulder needed to play and would have probably played the entire Pak series if he had not got injured. Now they can just do what they should have already done without actually having to make a decision.

And this is all moot because after the WC we will probably see a significantly different team both because of conditions and probable loss of personal.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Rest Olivier. No matter how fit you are, 4 tests in a month and a half is a heavy workload. Plus his bowling style is energy sapping

Think the really ballsy move would be to rest KG but not many would do that

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Hamza may play for Olivier? But not sure they're confident to use Mulder in a 3-seamer attack on debut?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hamza may play for Olivier? But not sure they're confident to use Mulder in a 3-seamer attack on debut?
Be stupid, it would an exact opposite overreaction to what they did in Durban. Mulder is a future SA top 6 bat that bowlers very well, he is not a bowler that bats.

Bolo

State Captain
Ya, there will only ever be room for him as a 5th bowler. Hopefully he ends up good enough to get in on his batting alone and makes life easy. Otherwise, there may be room for him as a bits and pieces player, although it will depend on the pitch.

I like the idea of mulder rabada steyn maharaj + extra spinner on a flatish indian track. Especially if one of the guys who can bat is a fair shout on spin alone.

SeamUp

International Coach
Best of the rest not involved in MODC

Marques Ackerman will lead the SA Invitation XI in a one-day tour match against Sri Lanka to be played at Willowmoore Park, Benoni, on Thursday, February, 28.

SA Invitation XI:

Marques Ackerman (KZN Coastal, capt), Eathan Bosch (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Tshepang Dithole (Central Gauteng), Leus du Plooy (Northerns), Gregory Mahlokwana (Northerns), Sibonelo Makhanya (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Wandile Makwetu (Northerns),Thando Mnyaka (Free State), Luvuyo Nkese (Northerns), Kyle Simmonds (Boland), Raynard van Tonder (Free State).

Coach: Shukri Conrad

The Proteas will take on Sri Lanka in five ODIs that get underway on March 3 at the Wanderers in Johannesburg.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Amla may well retire after the WC, so this could be a moot point, but if he doesn’t score any runs here and wants to continue, how can he realistically play the next test series?
A bowling all-rounder may be content with what Amla’s been averaging over the past 12 months but you can’t have a number 3 averaging 20 odd over 14 test matches with no hundreds.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Had to be done given the injury.

If no injury, I'd have preferred Rabada out to rest him. He looked thoroughly overworked and uninspired last match.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Had to be done given the injury.

If no injury, I'd have preferred Rabada out to rest him. He looked thoroughly overworked and uninspired last match.
I would rest him for all the odi's and t20's vs sri lanka. We know what he can do.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Amla may well retire after the WC, so this could be a moot point, but if he doesn’t score any runs here and wants to continue, how can he realistically play the next test series?
A bowling all-rounder may be content with what Amla’s been averaging over the past 12 months but you can’t have a number 3 averaging 20 odd over 14 test matches with no hundreds.
It is a difficult issue, Hamza is his logical replacement. However we play in India next, so do we drop Hamza in to that sort of cauldron? He is meant to be a good player of spin, but giving up on Amla's experience is also big thing to do. I don't think it is straightforward, if we where playing in SA next I would say that yes we replace Amla. .

MrPrez

International Debutant
I'd like to see us begin blooding a few young talents ASAP. It may be too early but maybe go all in and give Qeshile a debut, since he's undoubtedly a future Protea.

Something a bit different like

1. Elgar
2. Markram
3. Hamza
4. Faf
5. Qeshile
6. Mulder
7. de Kock

Yes, it'll be young and inexperienced, but Amla is doing nothing anyway and Bavuma doesn't feel like he'll ever be anything other than average.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It is a difficult issue, Hamza is his logical replacement. However we play in India next, so do we drop Hamza in to that sort of cauldron? He is meant to be a good player of spin, but giving up on Amla's experience is also big thing to do. I don't think it is straightforward, if we where playing in SA next I would say that yes we replace Amla. .
Amla averages 29 in Asia since 2013, 11 test matches, and scored practically no runs in the 4 test matches against India last time. Also, that go to shot he had where he picks the spinners onto the onside no longer works. Nowadays he just misses the ball doing that and is plumb LBW.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Agreed; we really should have done it this series imo.

Hindsight says we underrated SL, but nonetheless feels like a sensible thing to do.