• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Shocker on the Chandimal call, however they were spot on regarding Dilruwan and Roshen.

How many test captains have we had since Matthews was axed?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't go hating on Thirimanne, he did great on this Australian tour.

Averaged 28.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chandimal dropped?! SL's selectors always provide the laughs. :laugh:

Glad to see siriwardana back. Was a fan of his work when he was in the team previously.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm having a hard time predicting the XI for the first test tbh

Dimuth
Kaushal Silva
Thirimanne
K Mendis
K Perera
Hello siri/DdS/A Perera
Dickwella
Lakmal
Rajitha
Vishwa Fernando
Sandakan

Batting wise I think they'll go for an attack blunting combo of Kaushal, Dimuth and Thirimanne to try and get some solid starts against the new ball, Mendis and Kusal Perera will likely keep their places but I'm surprised they've even brought DdS along given Roshen was axed, he might get one more test before he bites the dust, Angelo Perera might even walk into the top 6 after that FC feat the other week

As for the bowlers - surely Chamika has fallen back in the pecking order after the areas he bowled in Canberra, both Rajitha and Fernando would probably be more effective in an attack that was led by Lakmal, and Sandakan was only behind Dilruwan and Akila before the former was axed and the latter banned

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Anyone actually looking forward to this massacre? Oh well, hopefully this a is a good stats padding series for Philander/Rabada/Steyn and Olivier isn't on of the beneficiaries.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Or we could totally underestimate SL and play poorly, but that seems highly unlikely...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Or we could totally underestimate SL and play poorly, but that seems highly unlikely...
I will never forgive South Africa's bowlers if they let fringe Sri Lankan batsmen score enough runs for Chandimal to not be immediately recalled in the next series.

the big bambino

International Captain
Genuinely fear for SL this series. SA will provide their usual seaming up and down trash and after the difficulties SL had with the short ball at Manuka I wonder how they'll fare.

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Lasith Embuldeniya is one of the guys I am looking forward to see bowl. Don't know how effective his SLA's will be against SA.

A FC avg of 20, with a strike rate of 39.

Hope he is Herath's replacement.

All the best
Ya good call to drop Dilruwan. He's quite hopeless on the road. As are more of our spinners. Not holding my breath regarding any of these domestic spin kings. Pushpakumara also had incredible stats but does jack all with the ball

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Eh, if there's any area I think Sri Lanka can dare to dream with it's their spin stocks. I don't see any point in dropping batsmen or quicks for "underperforming" when that's clearly just the standard of player they're producing (or in fact way above the curve in Chandimal's case ffs), but there's more chance one of these domestic spin kings is actually good IMO, even if it's clearly not Pushpakumara.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I remain hopeful that either T Kaushal or Akila can come back strong with a reformed action, obviously not this series though.

SeamUp

International Coach
No real surprises to the test squad. Wiaan Mulder added to the main 12 in squad v Pakistan. He needs cricket though.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) today called up 20-year-old bizhub Highveld Lions all-rounder Wiaan Mulder to the Standard Bank Proteas Test squad for the two-match Castle Lager Series against Sri Lanka starting next week.

Mulder was previously included in the squad for the Test Series against Australia last year but has still to make his debut, having been ruled out by injury for much of the current South African season.

This is the only addition to the Proteas Test squad that scored a clean sweep 3-0 series victory over Pakistan earlier this season.

“Wiaan has been part of our strategic thinking in developing a batting all-rounder for the Test squad for some time,” commented selection panel convener Linda Zondi. “His injury in the white ball series against Zimbabwe last year came at an unfortunate time and we are gradually working him back into the Proteas set-up.

“We never want to rush players back from injury because that can be counter-productive, but he has now had a couple of good weeks of action in the 4-Day Domestic Series.

“For the same reason we are not going to rush Lungi Ngidi back into international action until he has had the time to gain full match fitness.

“After the convincing victory against Pakistan the selectors are looking to exercise consistency in the squad and at the same time to strengthen it through the inclusion of Mulder,” concluded Mr. Zondi.
The Proteas Test squad is:

Faf du Plessis (Multiply Titans, capt), Hashim Amla (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions), Theunis de Bruyn (Multiply Titans), Quinton de Kock (Multiply Titans), Dean Elgar (Multiply Titans), Zubayr Hamza (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Multiply Titans), Wiaan Mulder (bizhub Highveld Lions), Duanne Olivier (VKB Knights), Vernon Philander (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (bizhub Highveld Lions), Dale Steyn (Multiply Titans)

Dendarii

International Debutant
Mulder hasn't replaced anyone in the squad, and there was sufficient backup already. So could that be an indication that he's being brought into the squad to go straight into the team? That would be a little tough on Hamza, but he probably only got an opportunity because of Mulder's injury, and obviously Mulder's bowling would also be a factor in his selection.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm thinking

Elgar
Markram
Amla
de Bruyn
Faf
Bavuma
QdK
Philander
Steyn
Rabada
Olivier/Maharaj

Hamza and Mulder are genuinely in their thinking but I don't see the reason to pick de Bruyn if he wasn't going to start ?

Maybe they get their chance in the 2nd test even if series not won ? Faf talking lots about fatigue. Been a busy summer.