• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting to see how SA's batsmen do in India later this year. I don't expect the wickets to be as dustbowl-y as they were last time, and Ashwin has declined, but the pace attack has improved.
Am expecting at least 2 new faces in that batting at that stage. Will be interesting.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know other posters opinions, but I do think the ICC needs to look at Philander's 'appeals' tbh. The one today to Karunaratne just made me feel uneasy. He literally just runs down the pitch celebrating if he thinks it's close. Really don't know why the umpires don't have a word - this is test cricket

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think Vern is worse. The one today was bad. First the celebration, then the slow jog up to his teammates as though the decision has been made, and then finally he looks back at the umpire as if to say 'Well raise your finger then". Got to be off-putting as an ump surely

It's not a severe blight on the game. But when one of the world leading bowlers can't properly appeal and wait for a decision then that's poor form

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I, like most other cricket followers, am a huge fan of Aiden Markram and I do expect him to really announce himself in the next 18 months or so. My only worry at the moment is that we’re seeing him look imperious for 20/30/40 runs, then finding a way to get out when he’s looked so assured to that point.

Today is another decent example, he played some sumptuous shots, the back foot punch down the ground was a personal highlight for me, but then he seemingly throws it away. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not suggesting this is a huge problem he has and big mental or technical changes have to be made, he’s still very young and he is continuously learning and developing. But do we think this is something he has to be mindful of or is it a case of just letting him have that freedom at the top of the order ?

You wouldn’t want him feeling inhibited and reluctant to play those gorgeous punches off the back foot that caused his downfall today but I know I want to watch him bat for longer than he does at times when he’s dismissed to a relatively unforced error. I’m sure with age and experience his shot selection will inevitably improve, so I’m not sounding the alarm by any stretch, just wondered what people thought ?

He has an average of around 45, for an opening batsman that has to played most of his games on South African decks against the new ball that do plenty it’s already impressive enough, he’s just probably that good I expect that average to rise further just wonder if that is through his current style of play or with a more pragmatic approach.

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Embuldeniya - the one ancient murals predicted would put to rest all mediocre pie-chucking spinners for good. He Who Shall Succeed Herath.
Are you referring to the topless Murals at Sigiriya? If so, many have seen many things staring into those beautiful pieces of work. Let us all pray Embul is the prince that was promised.

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
This hasn't gone nearly as bad as I thought it would. Just wish we had a better top order or at least our first choice top order (Mathews) to have made a fist of this.

Don't thin; anything over 250 is something that's within the reach of this side.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I, like most other cricket followers, am a huge fan of Aiden Markram and I do expect him to really announce himself in the next 18 months or so. My only worry at the moment is that we’re seeing him look imperious for 20/30/40 runs, then finding a way to get out when he’s looked so assured to that point.

Today is another decent example, he played some sumptuous shots, the back foot punch down the ground was a personal highlight for me, but then he seemingly throws it away. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not suggesting this is a huge problem he has and big mental or technical changes have to be made, he’s still very young and he is continuously learning and developing. But do we think this is something he has to be mindful of or is it a case of just letting him have that freedom at the top of the order ?

You wouldn’t want him feeling inhibited and reluctant to play those gorgeous punches off the back foot that caused his downfall today but I know I want to watch him bat for longer than he does at times when he’s dismissed to a relatively unforced error. I’m sure with age and experience his shot selection will inevitably improve, so I’m not sounding the alarm by any stretch, just wondered what people thought ?

He has an average of around 45, for an opening batsman that has to played most of his games on South African decks against the new ball that do plenty it’s already impressive enough, he’s just probably that good I expect that average to rise further just wonder if that is through his current style of play or with a more pragmatic approach.
As much as I love him opening I think he would be better at 4 in the long run, see how his career pans out. I would also have more of your concerns if he had not shown some application and grit already in scoring some big 100's. So I think that it is probably just about maturity and picking his shots a bit more judicially.

Bolo

State Captain

Getting out for 20-40 sounds like a problem a few of the other bats are having, especially hash. Markram seems to be more get out early or go big.

His natural game is to attack. Great to have in a top order of grinders. He has an issue as an opener in that he attacks too early. He's going after the new ball before he really has his eye in. Extra risky. Often true even if he has scored 20 or 30- he's just scored a couple of early boundaries but he hasn't had time at the crease. Bonus problem of not having taken the shine off the ball in the process, which i regard a a core function of an opener.

Anyway, maybe he moves to the middle later. If not, hopefully he learns to watch the ball go by near the start like a normal opener. But i don't want him to try learn this overnight. I think its dangerous for him to mess around with his natural game, especially while he is still finding his feet. He is doing well enough, even if he is losing his wicket from time to time in ways he shouldn't.

Woodster

International Captain
As much as I love him opening I think he would be better at 4 in the long run, see how his career pans out. I would also have more of your concerns if he had not shown some application and grit already in scoring some big 100's. So I think that it is probably just about maturity and picking his shots a bit more judicially.
Yes he has shown the application to go big and hitting four centuries already in his Test career is a really good sign.

Interesting you think the middle order may be his slot in the future, I would tend to agree based on the way his performances have looked in his Test career so far. Hugely accomplished player already mind.

Woodster

International Captain
Getting out for 20-40 sounds like a problem a few of the other bats are having, especially hash. Markram seems to be more get out early or go big.

His natural game is to attack. Great to have in a top order of grinders. He has an issue as an opener in that he attacks too early. He's going after the new ball before he really has his eye in. Extra risky. Often true even if he has scored 20 or 30- he's just scored a couple of early boundaries but he hasn't had time at the crease. Bonus problem of not having taken the shine off the ball in the process, which i regard a a core function of an opener.

Anyway, maybe he moves to the middle later. If not, hopefully he learns to watch the ball go by near the start like a normal opener. But i don't want him to try learn this overnight. I think its dangerous for him to mess around with his natural game, especially while he is still finding his feet. He is doing well enough, even if he is losing his wicket from time to time in ways he shouldn't.
It may be the fact he looks so comfortable in getting into double figures that you expect him to go on more often than not, obviously that isn't going to be the case though. But that's the thing with openers, you accept those early dismissals where you've been done by the new ball, it's when you get to the teens and 20's then don't kick on that frustrates.

I agree he does go after shots that perhaps a more pragmatic opener wouldn't, which makes you think a middle order slot may be the future unless he does become more selective.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope SA set around 300 and Sri Lanka make it a tight chase. Though that's perhaps too hopeful.

Bolo

State Captain
It may be the fact he looks so comfortable in getting into double figures that you expect him to go on more often than not, obviously that isn't going to be the case though. But that's the thing with openers, you accept those early dismissals where you've been done by the new ball, it's when you get to the teens and 20's then don't kick on that frustrates.

I agree he does go after shots that perhaps a more pragmatic opener wouldn't, which makes you think a middle order slot may be the future unless he does become more selective.
He's got to be up there with the most natural and attractive strokeplayers I've ever seen. Looks set as soon as he hits his first boundary. I don't think he's set when he gets out with the ball 6 overs old on 20 though. Elgar has faced as many deliveries for his 3 and is up against the same new ball. We dont consider him set. Dodgy example admittedly. Elgar never seems set (once in a blue moon 2 balls before he goes out maybe).

Heboric

International Debutant
I don't know other posters opinions, but I do think the ICC needs to look at Philander's 'appeals' tbh. The one today to Karunaratne just made me feel uneasy. He literally just runs down the pitch celebrating if he thinks it's close. Really don't know why the umpires don't have a word - this is test cricket
Yeah I also dont like the way he appeals sometimes or lack there of