• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chatfield falls agonisingly short of ton in final match

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
What an unassuming bloke who was an absolute cult hero in NZ in the 1980s:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/good-reads/...wen-chatfield-retires-from-club-cricket-at-68

[FONT=&quot]Ewen Chatfield, aka The Naenae Express, has finally run out of steam.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 68-year-old on Saturday played his last game of cricket for his beloved Wellington club Naenae Old Boys.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But his hopes of a first ever century eluded him one final time - he was out first ball for a "golden duck" .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Although he was best known as a miserly bowler, he made little secret of his desire to score a century.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Legend. Didn’t realise he was still playing. Blokes a deadset ornament to the game.

Burgey

What a great story. I hope a big deal has been made of this in NZ. Seems like as good a bloke as you’d find. Was a real unsung hero. By no means an all-timer, but was so valuable to NZ back in the day.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
What a great story. I hope a big deal has been made of this in NZ. Seems like as good a bloke as you’d find. Was a real unsung hero. By no means an all-timer, but was so valuable to NZ back in the day.
Getting a bit of coverage on Stuff so I hope it gets picked up on the national TV news tonight.

James

Cricket Web Owner
True legend of NZ Cricket, what a hero playing club cricket until now.

Btw Smudge, I've edited your post to remove the copy/paste of the article, so people go to stuff to read it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
True legend of NZ Cricket, what a hero playing club cricket until now.

Btw Smudge, I've edited your post to remove the copy/paste of the article, so people go to stuff to read it.
Oh well, I'm sure at least 50% of the posters won't bother doing that, but whatever.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
He gave me a verbal barrage when I gave one of my team’s batsmen not out caught behind in a club game a few years ago. Was looking forward to playing him, but it turned into a nightmare after that. :laugh: Batsman clearly hit the ground with his bat, too.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Is it unusual for club players to still be going at that age around the world? There are plenty of old boys going around in England in Saturday league's and Sunday friendlies

Burgey

Not that unusual for blokes that age, but pretty unusual for an ex international to still be doing the rounds.

Chubb

International Regular
I’ve played against him once a couple years ago but didn’t face him. He bowled very accurate outswing but he’d give the younger lads in his team a chance with the new ball and bat like 9-10. He almost got them home in the match chasing 120 but we got the last man out and left him stranded. Still had the hand eye to play the ball very late. Almost caught him first ball diving to my left at gully but could only get fingertips to it. A lot of guys get pics with him when they played Naenae.