• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI ATG XIs

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm sure we've done this before, but with the WC just around the corner it might be fun to come up with some ATG ODI XIs for each nation. Post what you think each nation's XI is and at the end we'll see if some sort of consensus can be had.

Australia

Gilchrist
Watson
Ponting
M.Waugh
Jones
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Athlai

Not Terrible
Probably something like

Guptill
McCullum (+)
Williamson
Taylor
Crowe
Styris (Elliott/Twose/Astle/Harris)
Cairns (Oram)
Hadlee
Vettori
Mills (Boult)
Bond

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill (Astle)
Turner
Williamson
Taylor
Crowe (Twose)
McCullum (+)
Oram (Cairns/Harris)
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Chatfield (Mills/Boult)

Astle very unlucky to miss out, but Guptill has superseded him. Will need Crowe and Williamson to be prepared to turn their arms overs as 6th bowlers, but if they can't would have to make changes. Would be tempted to pick Twose ahead of Crowe, but will go with the great man.

Picked Oram at 7 due to his more accurate bowling, but Cairns and Harris both bring different skills. Batting is less important with Hadlee and Vettori at 8/9. Chatfield would be far less hittable at the death than Mills or Boult and as Bond and Hadlee would be sharing the new ball don't need a new ball bowler.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure we've done this before, but with the WC just around the corner it might be fun to come up with some ATG ODI XIs for each nation. Post what you think each nation's XI is and at the end we'll see if some sort of consensus can be had.

Australia

Gilchrist
Watson
Ponting
M.Waugh
Jones
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Bracken
McGrath
I know you don't rate Bevan but it's ridiculous leaving him out of the Australian AT XI.

Gilchrist
M Waugh
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath

12th: Watson

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Suresh Raina
Kapil Dev
Bhuvi
Kuldeep
Bumrah

Deep batting line-up. Yuvi and Raina can combine for the 5th bowler's quota with Sachin/Sourav also pitching in.

Reserves
Shikhar Dhawan
Virender Sehwag
Zaheer Khan
Chahal

Gambhir/Dravid/Kumble/Harbhajan/Azhar/Ajay Jadeja were good contenders but don't fit into the make-up of the side. Also, I would have loved to bring in Sir Jadeja for balance and variety but his ODI bowling hasn't picked up at all. The surprise is that apart from Kapil Dev, none of the other members of 1983 WC winning team get into the squad.

If Hardik Pandya does well in future, he can come in place of Raina and provide greater balance to the side but the others are all quite difficult to be replaced. Shami can replace Zaheer too in the squad in future.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know you don't rate Bevan but it's ridiculous leaving him out of the Australian AT XI.

Gilchrist
M Waugh
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath

Picking Mark Waugh to bat 4 seems kinda wack too given he spent 90% of his ODI career opening.

MrPrez

International Debutant
South Africa:

Amla
De Kock
Kallis
De Villiers
Gibbs
Rhodes
Klusener
Pollock
Steyn
Tahir
Donald

Daemon

Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Suresh Raina
Kapil Dev
Bhuvi
Kuldeep
Bumrah

Deep batting line-up. Yuvi and Raina can combine for the 5th bowler's quota with Sachin/Sourav also pitching in.

Reserves
Shikhar Dhawan
Virender Sehwag
Zaheer Khan
Chahal

Gambhir/Dravid/Kumble/Harbhajan/Azhar/Ajay Jadeja were good contenders but don't fit into the make-up of the side. Also, I would have loved to bring in Sir Jadeja for balance and variety but his ODI bowling hasn't picked up at all. The surprise is that apart from Kapil Dev, none of the other members of 1983 WC winning team get into the squad.

If Hardik Pandya does well in future, he can come in place of Raina and provide greater balance to the side but the others are all quite difficult to be replaced. Shami can replace Zaheer too in the squad in future.
Much rather have Shami/Zak ahead of Bhuvi who hasn't really done all that well in ODIs.

vcs

Shami has pretty good ODI stats but for some reason I can't remember anything he's ever done in ODIs.

Zinzan

Guptill (Astle)
Turner
Williamson
Taylor
Crowe (Twose)
McCullum (+)
Oram (Cairns/Harris)
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Chatfield (Mills/Boult)
Oram was very good, but Cairns better imo. Oram superior with the ball, while Cairns was comfortably superior with bat, despite Oram's amazing period with the bat around '07-'09.

Daemon

Shami has pretty good ODI stats but for some reason I can't remember anything he's ever done in ODIs.
He was brilliant throughout the 2015 world cup. The only game he got smashed, we lost.

TheJediBrah

Gilchrist
M Waugh
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath

Stephen's team is much better. I think you've got to make room for Watson though, just not sure where. Maybe as a floater ahead of Hussey.

Hogg over Warne. Jkz
this but not jkz, especially if it's 2003-ish Hogg that can bat pretty well

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have Watson open ahead of MWaugh, much as I loved the leg glances, with the condition that he's not allowed to use a review.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
england

trescothick
roy
root
pietersen
flintoff
morgan
buttler
botham
swann
gough
anderson

the challenge here is (its not a great side in comparison to others) but that all englands best players are better suited up the order. there are no stand out players at number 7. its too low for all of england's batting options.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
The best!

Sanath Jayasuriya
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Aravinda De Silva
Mahela Jayawardena (VC)
Arjuna Ranatunge (C)
Angelo Mathews
Nuwan Kulasekara
Chaminda Vaas