• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI ATG XIs

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Goodwin made that 167 back when scores over 120-130 were almost unheard of in Aus domestic cricket

It was the record score for a while I think

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty impressive numbers those, and in a strong era too
Yeah definitely. I remember when he got that 167 it was the highest score ever in the competition. I would pick Goodwin if we were picking the best side out of anyone who has played for Zim on the basis of his performances domestically in Australia and England, but his performances for ZImbabwe weren't anything special so he missed out.

EDIT - I didn't see Brah's post haha

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
ZIM
1 G Flower
2 A Campbell
3 D Houghton
4 A Flower
5 B Taylor
6 N Johnson
7 T Taibu
8 H Streak
9 P Strang
10 E Brandes
11 H Olonga
I like this team. Goodwin would have to be mighty close to selection though, possibly coming in for either Taylor or Campbell. I'd personally take him ahead of those two. I also think Duncan Fletcher over Olonga would be my preference, whilst Ray Price would step in on spinning decks. Sean Ervine isn't a million miles away from selection either.

smash84

The Tiger King
Much as he’s widely despised on here, what was Kamran Akmal’s record on ODIs like? I rate Moin very highly, mind you, but I wonder if Akmal might offer more with the bat. Then again you have to put up with his keeping, so there is that.

Also, would Razzaq be worth a shout in place of MoYo? Extra bowler, bigger hitter in that spot in the order. Or maybe run with another opener and move afridi into the middle order?
As chappelli put it quite succinctly, "even if Kamran akmal batted like Bradman, he still wouldn't make up for his bad keeping". So yeah that's why he's out. Plus moin was a fighter,so good on him.

I am not including abdur razzaq or Shoaib on there because the batting is weak. The bowling is quite strong.

Imran wasim waqar saqlain Afridi. All five are proper LO bowlers and all of them are pretty good. It's the batting that is somewhat weak and hence putting in Yousuf to shore it up.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Neil Johnson
Grant Flower
Andy Flower
Brendan Taylor
Sean Williams
Sikanda Raza
Tatenda Taibu +
Heath Streak *
Andy Blignaut
Graeme Cremer
Eddo Brandes

Nearly the whole team can bowl. Nearly the whole team can bat. Decent ODI side in that sense.

When I started it I assumed it'd be full of 90s players but cult heroes like Murray Goodwin and Dave Houghton are inferior in both average and strike rate to Williams and Raza so can't really justify their selection
What if you included Zimbabweans who played for other countries?

TheJediBrah

I had a hard time finding a second spinner so settled on Rashid. Swanns stats are better than I thought they would be
Even the other bowlers though. I mean Gough was a decent international player but making at ATG XI side is generous. Fortunately Flintoff and Botham make up for it by beign 2 of the greatest ARs

Such a lazy and lame response when I've literally just quoted you talking about Bevan's average 8-)
That's because I've debunked at length the absurd "average boosted by not outs is somehow worth less" argument multiple times and at this stage a 3 letter response is all I'm giving it

smash84

The Tiger King
Even the other bowlers though. I mean Gough was a decent international player but making at ATG XI side is generous. Fortunately Flintoff and Botham make up for it by beign 2 of the greatest ARs
I don't think botham was that good of an ODI all rounder

smash84

The Tiger King
maybe a bit like Sehwag. Should be good at ODIs but wasn't

Botham's got the ability though, especially when in form, that you'd have him in the England ATG team IMO
you might as well pick mark ealham.

I really can't recall anything special about Botham in ODIs. However his SR is pretty decent for his era

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Naming South Africa's XI is really annoying as I find myself wanting QdK at 6 or 7 because Im finding it tough enough deciding on Gibbs Kirsten Smith Amla to open.

I guess I would go:

1 Gibbs
2 Amla
3 Kallis
4 de Villiers
5 Rhodes
6 de Kock
7 Klusener
8 Pollock
9 Ntini
10 Donald
11 Tahir

I know I know, No Steyn but Ntini was excellent in ODIs.

I was more of a Kirsten fan over Gibbs but feel as though Gibbs adds more with Amla and Kallis batting around them. Gibbs gun fielder obviously too. No lefty in the top 5 is a slight problem.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Much rather have Shami/Zak ahead of Bhuvi who hasn't really done all that well in ODIs.
When both Bumrah and Bhuvi are available, Shami is relegated to the bench. If he can't replace Bhuvi in the current India team, how does he replace Bhuvi in the ATG XI?

TheJediBrah

you might as well pick mark ealham.

I really can't recall anything special about Botham in ODIs. However his SR is pretty decent for his era
He's just about good enough to be there as a bowler for England anyway. They haven't had much else.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Naming South Africa's XI is really annoying as I find myself wanting QdK at 6 or 7 because Im finding it tough enough deciding on Gibbs Kirsten Smith Amla to open.

I guess I would go:

1 Gibbs
2 Amla
3 Kallis
4 de Villiers
5 Rhodes
6 de Kock
7 Klusener
8 Pollock
9 Ntini
10 Donald
11 Tahir

I know I know, No Steyn but Ntini was excellent in ODIs.

I was more of a Kirsten fan over Gibbs but feel as though Gibbs adds more with Amla and Kallis batting around them. Gibbs gun fielder obviously too. No lefty in the top 5 is a slight problem.
Ntini was rank ordinary for a number of years at the start of his career. Would rather see any number of other bowlers ahead of him.