• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI ATG XIs

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It does but then again Gayle was an opener and he does offer another part time bowler option. Do we replace one of Haynes or greenidge one of the best Odi opening combos of all time?? I just cant. And it feels wrong to bat Gayle out of place
Gayle at 3 and the others moving down makes the side stronger than having Sarwan in it

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
It does but then again Gayle was an opener and he does offer another part time bowler option. Do we replace one of Haynes or greenidge one of the best Odi opening combos of all time?? I just cant. And it feels wrong to bat Gayle out of place

I think Gayle has done enough to replace one of Haynes or Greenidge. Both had strike rate in the 60s which would have increased in modern days for sure. To what extent, and whether they would be better than Gayle is something we would never know. Gayle easily has the better power game.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It's quite the conundrum, on one hand Gayle definitely deserves a place in a WI ODI ATG XI, but it isn't easy to break up the Greenidge-Haynes partnership

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haynes and Greenidge could open and Gayle could drop down the order to the middle order. He's an unreliable big hitter which is perfect for the late overs.

Either that or drop Greenidge and Haynes and Gayle open.

stephen

Geez Greenidge and Haynes scored a lot of runs didn't they? Didn't realise they had quite so many. They're still two of the highest runs scorers the West Indies have ever had.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Roger Harper would probably make the team if the match in question was played on a dustbowl.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Trescothick
Bairstow
Root
Peiterson
Buttler
Collingwood
Flintoff
Botham
Rashid
Swann
Gough

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. BB McCullum+*
2. MJ Guptill
3. KS Williamson
4. LRPL Taylor
5. MD Crowe
6. CL Cairns (3)
7. CZ Harris (6)
8. Sir RJ Hadlee (2)
9. DL Vettori (5)
10. SE Bond (1)
11. EJ Chatfield (4)

12. GM Turner
13. TA Boult
14. NA Astle
15. RG Twose

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Mark Waugh
2 Adam Gilchrist+
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Dean Jones
5 Andrew Symonds
6 Michael Bevan
7 Shane Watson
8 Brett Lee
9 Mitchell Starc
10 Shane Warne
11 Glenn McGrath

stephen

1 Mark Waugh
2 Adam Gilchrist+
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Dean Jones
5 Andrew Symonds
6 Michael Bevan
7 Shane Watson
8 Brett Lee
9 Mitchell Starc
10 Shane Warne
11 Glenn McGrath
Harsh leaving out a guy averaging 48.

Also (more generally) Aussies leaving out Greg Chappell is harsh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Harsh leaving out a guy averaging 48.

Also (more generally) Aussies leaving out Greg Chappell is harsh.
Michael Hussey? Ive said this a few times on here over the years but Huss misses out for me due to:

World Cup 15 matches 156 runs @ 19.50

So if you say he didnt get enough chances, I feel like I can afford to leave him out of an All time XI. If Bevan was injured, hed be my replacement so Im not trying to suggest those stats have ruled him out entirely.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The reason I leave out Bevan and include Hussey is I think Hussey offers the exact things Bevan is lauded (rightly) for - ability to consolidate, control a chase & bat with the tail, plus Hussey offers more in terms of being able to accelerate and go big when required.

In my side I cannot leave out Watson, Ponting, M.Waugh, Symonds and Jones (Symonds, Watson and Waugh will share 10 overs) so Bevan has to miss out on a one on one against Hussey, at least IMO.

I guess Waugh and Jones would be the most susceptible, but it's easily forgotten how dynamic and innovative Jones was, and Waugh offers so much with the ball and in the field. An inner fielding ring of Waugh, Ponting and Symonds is something else that shouldnt be neglected (plus Hussey was no slouch in the field)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Michael Hussey? Ive said this a few times on here over the years but Huss misses out for me due to:

World Cup 15 matches 156 runs @ 19.50

So if you say he didnt get enough chances, I feel like I can afford to leave him out of an All time XI. If Bevan was injured, hed be my replacement so Im not trying to suggest those stats have ruled him out entirely.
Didnt realise Hussey's WC record was this, but in his defence, he only batted 9 times in those 15 games, and had scores of 30*, 37 and 54 amongst the 9 he did bat.

His 2007 was pretty poor, but in reality he was making single figure scores coming inat 6 most of the time in the late overs (45-50) after we'd batted first and Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke and Symonds had done the damage.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The reason I leave out Bevan and include Hussey is I think Hussey offers the exact things Bevan is lauded (rightly) for
He doesn't quite though. Bevan was a lot better at it. Averaged more in a lower scoring era against better bowlers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Didnt realise Hussey's WC record was this, but in his defence, he only batted 9 times in those 15 games, and had scores of 30*, 37 and 54 amongst the 9 he did bat.

His 2007 was pretty poor, but in reality he was making single figure scores coming inat 6 most of the time in the late overs (45-50) after we'd batted first and Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke and Symonds had done the damage.
Gilchrist, Ponting, Symonds doing the damage is part of my ATG XIs plan too. Throw in Waugh, Jones, Bevan, Watson and even some big hitting from Lee and Starc and I think Huss's role will be somewhat redundant.

If Hussey was available for other ATG XIs such as Zimbabwe, Ireland, Kenya, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Netherlands etc Id pick him before Symonds or Watson, just not for Australia.