• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwean Rebels Quit

Scallywag

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
Am I correct in assuming that you still think the tour should go ahead, regardless of how unfair the ZCU's selection policy is, on the basis that Sri Lanka already had their shot at the record books, and Australia are entitled to theirs?
Why didnt Sri Lanka make a stand as the selection process was being used when they played. How can Australia make that call when Sri Lanka have allready shown support for the ZCU.

I have no doubt that Australia will be dubbed racist if they refuse to play and dubbed record chasers if they play.

Why arent the rest of the test playing nations supporting Australia, I dont hear any of the other nations saying ZCU's selection is racist.

So as far as your assumptions go you would be better served sticking to facts.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scallywag said:
The ICC is all the test playing nations and you are quite sure all the members felt that the ZCU should lose test status due to having a racist selection policy, furthermore you also believe that the ICC had the power to question Zimbabwes players (only white ones you stated) whether they thought the selection process was racist and the ZCU and Zimbabwe government would allow this to happen.
The ICC is a governing body with an administrative heirarchy, that is also comprised of representatives from the cricket playing nations, yes. As to the various nations' votes on what should happen regarding this series, I guess we'll find that out tonight. I'm not sure what will happen there - if the Herald-Sun journo's analysis is right, it looks like test status will be removed from these matches. By all accounts, if this happens, it's likely the Australians will head for home.

On whether the ICC had the power to question the rebel players, of course they had that power (and hearing both sides of the story ought to be fundamental to the information-gathering process) - and a couple of days ago, they did just that. They tried also to meet with the ZCU, who refused point-blank to meet with them. And here we are.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Why didnt Sri Lanka make a stand as the selection process was being used when they played. How can Australia make that call when Sri Lanka have allready shown support for the ZCU.

I have no doubt that Australia will be dubbed racist if they refuse to play and dubbed record chasers if they play.

Why arent the rest of the test playing nations supporting Australia, I dont hear any of the other nations saying ZCU's selection is racist.

So as far as your assumptions go you would be better served sticking to facts.
Well, we're all assuming. We'll know the facts sometime tonight. I can't really see where you're heading with this.

By the sounds of things, it sounds like the majority of the countries ARE in favor of stripping test status from the series because of Zimbabwe's selection policy (EDIT: although I suppose to some extent this could be changed if the rebel players end up participating in the matches). I don't know why you're elevating Australia over Sri Lanka though - the truth of the matter is that BOTH of these country's cricket boards were happy to tour there and pick up some records in the process. Just because Sri Lanka got away with it, doesn't mean I'm in favor of Australia doing the same. I'd have been happier had neither of them toured.

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
You saw how people reacted to John Howard agreeing with Elliots scientific anaylisis and you think everyone would have supported Australia if they stood up and said we are not touring Zimbabwe because they have a racist selection process. Australia had no choice but to tour unless the ICC (all other countries) cancelled the series. To imply Australia is just touring for the records says more about you than Australia.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
To imply Australia is just touring for the records says more about you than Australia.

If Australia were not touring just for the records , they would have been ready to tour even if the matches were not official tests. Thats not the case , as they themselves have stated :) .

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scallywag said:
You saw how people reacted to John Howard agreeing with Elliots scientific anaylisis and you think everyone would have supported Australia if they stood up and said we are not touring Zimbabwe because they have a racist selection process. Australia had no choice but to tour unless the ICC (all other countries) cancelled the series. To imply Australia is just touring for the records says more about you than Australia.
I didn't say that Australia was "just" touring for the records - I said that the Aussie cricket board was "happy to tour there and pick up some records in the process". This is just stating a fact. The reason we're talking about this is because it's obviously how you see Sri Lanka's willingness to tour - I'm just saying that Australia has been no different, up to this point.

If you want to turn this into an argument of patriotism, it's really a waste of time (and a lame argumentative strategy). As it happens, John Howard has always made it clear that he was uncomfortable about the Australians touring Zimbabwe, and on this issue, I am in complete agreement. I'm sure that many Australians also share this view (it would seem that you don't).

I've never said anything about the rest of the countries "supporting Australia" in this, because Cricket Australia didn't take a stance to support - so I don't know why you keep bringing this up. What I have done previously is blame the ICC for allowing all this to happen (through inaction and threatening countries with financial penalties if they don't tour). At this stage, in spite of your attempts to somehow characterize me as un-Australian, you seem to be agreeing with me on this.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Zimbabwe offers to scrap tour

A little more manouvering on the part of the ZCU. Funny thing is, I'd actually like this teleconference to take place (rather than the ICC just accept the offer), because it would make it clear where everybody stood. Sounds like Zimbabwe would prefer we didn't.

EDIT: Gaijin-san - The new content at this link (it got updated after I posted it) says that the teleconference is scheduled for 11.30GMT, which is in about 5 hours from now.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight: This conference is to decide the fate of the series itself, isn't it? It has nothing to do with stripping Zimbabwe of test status?

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Gaijin-san said:
Let me get this straight: This conference is to decide the fate of the series itself, isn't it? It has nothing to do with stripping Zimbabwe of test status?
The confrence was to decide whether the two Test matches have Test status.

Now Zimbabwe has scrapped the Tests before the confrerence ever took place.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:
The confrence was to decide whether the two Test matches have Test status.
That's what I thought - but the cricinfo link specifically says it's about stripping Zimbabwe's test status (at least, as of now).

It is understood Zimbabwe officials made the offer in an attempt to avoid an emergency telephone hook-up on their future. The 10 ICC directors were due to vote later today on whether or not to strip Zimbabwe of Test status, a vote which would have had wide repercussions extending beyond the two-Test series against Australia.
If the meeting IS to decide whether Zimbabwe lose test status, I don't see how the ZCU and CA agreeing to scrap the tests would have a bearing on whether the teleconference would take place or not.

If the conference WAS just about stripping these upcoming matches between Aus and Zim of test status, then I can see why it would be pointless to bother once the matches are cancelled.

A little confusing...

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
If the meeting IS to decide whether Zimbabwe lose test status, I don't see how the ZCU and CA agreeing to scrap the tests would have a bearing on whether the teleconference would take place or not.

A little confusing...
It is confusing.

Check this out from Cricinfo: Test series scrapped

It is understood Zimbabwe officials made the offer in an attempt to avoid an emergency telephone hook-up on their future. The 10 ICC directors were due to vote later today on whether or not to strip Zimbabwe of Test status, a vote which would have had wide repercussions extending beyond the two-Test series against Australia.

If, as expected, the Australians go along with Zimbabwe's offer to abandon the series, the telephone hook-up will not be held.

Gees one minute one thing happens, then something else happens :wacko:

Yeah it's all very confusing for us.. All we can do is keep an eye on the news and see what happens. I'm going to write my train of thought here:
1) The teleconference still seems to be on, and
2) The tests have already been called off, so
3) The conference can't be about tests that won't be played, therefore
4) It is about Zimbabwe's overall Test status.

Then again, that's only a logical thought process. Nothing about this whole situation is logical.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Latest I've heard (there's another new article at cricinfo)

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...EWS/2004/MAY/150903_ZIMAUS2004_21MAY2004.html

The test series is cancelled.
The teleconference is off.
The one-dayers are going to be played.
The rebel players, who had made themselves available for the one-dayers, have been sacked again (no surprise, as their re-instatement always had the air of pretence on the part of the ZCU anyway) and have been asked to hand in their cars and mobile phones.
The ICC has avoided making a decision - for now. But they'll have to soon, if things don't change very rapidly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:
If Australia were not touring just for the records , they would have been ready to tour even if the matches were not official tests. Thats not the case , as they themselves have stated :) .
And rightly so.

There's enough International Cricket going on without them playing in 2 meaningless games which have no official status and which also show a form of support for the ZCU.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gaijin-san said:

AFAIK that will debated at their regular conference at Lords in June.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting the way they said in cricinfo..

"We will make it up to the fans in Bulawayo WHEN england tour in November..."