• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwean Rebels Quit

Waughney

International Debutant

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But as it's an 18 man squad, the chances of them playing are still slim.

I reckon it's only been done to ensure the match goes ahead.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Except that we know Sean Ervine wont be playing.
True. Once someone comes to Perth, they immmediately love it and want to stay forever (ie. we lock the gates).

Does anyone else think its a little unfair on the players to decide whether its going ahead the day before it starts? Its a little ridiculous, I reckon... couldnt they have possibly done this earlier?! :wacko:

Sehwag309

Banned
Craig said:
And now look for to influx of Zimbabwean players to Australia, South Africa, and England, and it you cant really rule going to live in NZ.
Probably even Bangladesh or Kenya to strengthen their sides

Loony BoB

International Captain
Craig said:
Except that we know Sean Ervine wont be playing.
Ha! At this rate, you never know what might happen. I'm almost EXPECTING stories to be completely wrong these days - or at least, wrong for one day, right the next, wrong the next...

Loony BoB

International Captain
I could see that one coming, actually. Unless the players confirm something, I'll never believe anything the ZCU puts forward.

Scallywag

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
Because with every step the ZCU made, the ICC tacitly gave their approval, by believing their words over those of the cricketers. Had the ICC adopted a harder stance on this issue much, much earlier, we might have actually seen some binding third-party arbitration. As it stands, things broke down completely, and the players were left all alone.

Considering that the ICC was determined that these tours were to take place, regardless of the political situation in the country, the least they could have done in cricket's interests would have been to act quickly once it became clear that this political situation had infiltrated the ZCU, and the country was going to discriminate racially in their selection of the team. Instead, they allowed the matter to continue to escalate, while they sat on their thumbs.
I would have loved to see the response (ZCU suing and winning a large compensation payment) if the ICC cancelled the Australian tour because 15 white players said the selection process was racist. How do expect the ICC to monitor the selection process apart from information from the ZCU. The ICC has been put in a position where it can not act unless the matter is directly releted to matters within their own control. The selection process and the political influence in Zimbabwe as in all other test playing countries is not in the realms of the ICCs charter.

The ICC has done everything it can to promote the game of cricket and help the people of Zimbabwe enjoy the sport, so for you to lay the blame for internal politics within the ZCU on the ICC has no merit.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scallywag said:
The ICC has done everything it can to promote the game of cricket and help the people of Zimbabwe enjoy the sport, so for you to lay the blame for internal politics within the ZCU on the ICC has no merit.

But the ICC's complacency and lack of "balls" has enabled this situation to go on for so long unchecked.. And its harming the game of cricket both in Zimbabwe and out of Zimbabwe...
I know they cannot do anything about the general situation in Zimbabwe, but they can at least make sure their boards snap into line... And if that goes against the grain of a countries policy, then they shouldnt be playing in the first place...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scallywag said:
I would have loved to see the response (ZCU suing and winning a large compensation payment) if the ICC cancelled the Australian tour because 15 white players said the selection process was racist. How do expect the ICC to monitor the selection process apart from information from the ZCU. The ICC has been put in a position where it can not act unless the matter is directly releted to matters within their own control. The selection process and the political influence in Zimbabwe as in all other test playing countries is not in the realms of the ICCs charter.

Truth being the ultimate defence, it's pretty clear that the ZCU was never going to receive any kind of compensation payout for being frozen out due to having a racist selection policy. And the beauty of this is that there's a precedent for it. So this is a silly possibility to throw around, IMO - it's just not realistic.

As to the ICC's charter - one of their four key responsibilities is "maintaining and enhancing the traditional spirit of the game and protecting the spirit of cricket". Taking action over a selection policy that brings the spirit and fairness of the game into disrepute fits very neatly into this responsibility.

And in terms of monitoring the situation, the ICC was not solely dependent on the ZCU for information. The least they could have done was to actually meet with the players involved much earlier - they didn't bother to do so until this last week. And then, suddenly, we found them willing to act.

Am I correct in assuming that you still think the tour should go ahead, regardless of how unfair the ZCU's selection policy is, on the basis that Sri Lanka already had their shot at the record books, and Australia are entitled to theirs?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Gaijin-san said:
Only a few hours until Zimbabwe are no more in Test cricket.

Waiting with bated breath.
Out of curiosity, do you know in which timezone "Friday afternoon" means? I'm presuming it's BST, so about 8 hours away from now (I think).

On another note, I read in the Herald-Sun today that some of the countries are expected to vote as follows:

YAY: (Strip the matches of test status)

Australia, England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa and the West Indies.

NAY:

New Zealand, Zimbabwe (obviously).

I wonder if it's true and what NZ's grounds are...

I saw it on the Channel 10 news (or Sports Tonight), who are notorious for catering information to the audience. For example, when they talk about the cost of something overseas they express it in $AU or talk about something happening in AEST.

I'm guessing we're talking Friday night AEST and that it would be sometime after 8 o'clock here, maybe sometime 10:00-12:00 GMT. Anyone actually know any details?

Scallywag

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
Truth being the ultimate defence, it's pretty clear that the ZCU was never going to receive any kind of compensation payout for being frozen out due to having a racist selection policy. And the beauty of this is that there's a precedent for it. So this is a silly possibility to throw around, IMO - it's just not realistic.
The ICC is all the test playing nations and you are quite sure all the members felt that the ZCU should lose test status due to having a racist selection policy, furthermore you also believe that the ICC had the power to question Zimbabwes players (only white ones you stated) whether they thought the selection process was racist and the ZCU and Zimbabwe government would allow this to happen.