• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sarfraz Ahmed Racist Comments Discussion

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of what I heard from the clip, it was pretty bad and mildly racist ? I don't know what to make of it honestly, because even though I understand the language, what he said doesn't really even make any sense.

At the very least it was extremely inappropriate imo and deserves a suspension of some kind.

Last edited:

vcs

What did he say
Halfway through the 37th over of South Africa's tense chase in the second ODI in Durban, Phehlukwayo inside-edged a Shaheen Afridi delivery to deep fine leg for a single. He was on 50 at the time and as he ran off to the non-striker's end, Sarfraz was caught clearly on the stump mics saying, in Urdu: "Abey kaale, teri ammi aaj kahaan baitheen hain? Kya parwa ke aaye hai aaj?".

Translated literally that is: "Hey black guy, where's your mother sitting today? What [prayer] have you got her to say for you today?"
On-field taunt could land Sarfraz Ahmed in the dock | ESPNcricinfo.com

Burgey

Well, if Gavaskar can be regarded as one of the game's great elder statesman after calling West Indians monkeys who belong in trees, I'd expect Sarfraz to be made Chairman of the ICC when it next meets after these comments.

Marius

International Debutant
In the context, on what level is the word which translated to 'black guy'? Was he just making a comment on Andile's complexion or is it up there with the n- or k-word?

Marius

International Debutant
Well, if Gavaskar can be regarded as one of the game's great elder statesman after calling West Indians monkeys who belong in trees, I'd expect Sarfraz to be made Chairman of the ICC when it next meets after these comments.
Or perhaps he'll become the national coach, considering Darren Lehmann's history?

OverratedSanity

In the context, on what level is the word which translated to 'black guy'? Was he just making a comment on Andile's complexion or is it up there with the n- or k-word?
Wouldn't say "kaale" is up there with the n-word at all. But it's definitely inappropriate and it's just difficult to know how much malice was behind his statement when it makes so little sense as a sentence.

Burgey

Marius, I think he's already been a selector hasn't he? The glorious denouement to Gavaskar's diatribe came 30 years later when he publicly railed against racism against "the Brown man" without a single hint of irony.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Does not seem appropriate..... but Andile seemed to be getting on with everybody on the field alright. But that could just be because he could not understand what they were saying to him.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, racially connoted insults, how "lame" right?
It was lame. As a sledge.

The use of "kaale" here is difficult to get the right idea about. It could be more of a racial thing. Many people in the subcontinent who use "kaale" like that are also the ones who would substitute "African" without batting an eyelid (even when referring to people from their area itself).

On the other hand, it could be more about skin colour. That, too, happens. But it is almost always used in a derogatory sense, from mild to massive. The level of malice is difficult to establish.

trundler

Definitely inappropriate but pretty nonsensical. Deserves a 3 match ban IMO. If he'd said, say the n word it would've warranted a life ban.

Daemon

The sentence is basically just noise with the word 'kaale' the only relevant thing.

It's often used to describe those of a darker complexion in India and Pakistan, typically in a derogatory but not very malicious manner (if that makes any sense). Definitely unacceptable though and deserves punishment.