• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Best ODI Team of All Time

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Sachin
Rohit
Virat
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Raina
Kapil
Shami
Kuldeep
Chahal
Bumrah

Rated Raina highly in whatever period he was very good. Played a great role in 2011 world cup. Gambhir unfortunately misses out.

Tail batting is weak. But all of these are gun wicket takers like we saw today and have performed in most conditions across the world. Can't have the best of both worlds :)

h_hurricane

Why is that? They have identical Econ but Kumble has better SR & AVG as well as better wicket/match ratio...
Harbhajan probably played in a more batsman friendly period. Having said that, I am more inclined to pick Chahal and Kuldeep now, even with small sample size. 2 gun odi bowlers, played well in most conditions across the world.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Suresh Raina
Kapil Dev
Bhuvi
Kuldeep
Bumrah

Deep batting line-up. Yuvi and Raina can combine for the 5th bowler's quota with Sachin/Sourav also pitching in.

Reserves
Shikhar Dhawan
Virender Sehwag
Zaheer Khan
Chahal

Gambhir/Dravid/Kumble/Harbhajan/Azhar/Ajay Jadeja were good contenders but don't fit into the make-up of the side. Also, I would have loved to bring in Sir Jadeja for balance and variety but his ODI bowling hasn't picked up at all. The surprise is that apart from Kapil Dev, none of the other members of 1983 WC winning team get into the squad.

If Hardik Pandya does well in future, he can come in place of Raina and provide greater balance to the side but the others are all quite difficult to be replaced. Shami can replace Zaheer too in the squad in future.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Would love to see NUFAN do an all time India ODI game (and every other country too).
Yes, I loved that exercise. Even an update game of those Test squads once a year will be good. Upgrading/Downgrading the players between the teams, Adding new ATGs etc.

Also, yes, it will be great if Nufan can do an ODI version. Should get over quicker since the base is smaller.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, I loved that exercise. Even an update game of those Test squads once a year will be good. Upgrading/Downgrading the players between the teams, Adding new ATGs etc.

Also, yes, it will be great if Nufan can do an ODI version. Should get over quicker since the base is smaller.
I just had a look - only 43 Aussies, 36 West Indians and 36 Indians have scored more than 1000 ODI runs - and some of them are bowlers. It would be hard to fill more than half a dozen teams.

harsh.ag

Does Pandya make the team now? At number 7. Kapil at 8.

Probably better off having Raina or Sehwag at number 6/7.

h_hurricane

There are 2 ways I would form a team.

Option 1

1.Rohit
2.Dhawan
3.Kohli
4.Tendulkar
5.Yuvraj

Option 2

1.Rohit
2.Tendulkar
3.Kohli
4.Yuvraj
5.Sehwag/Raina

6.Dhoni
7.Kapil
8.Zaheer
9.Kuldeep
10.Chahal
11.Bumrah

Either way, Pandya is not in as yet.

I know the tail looks horrible, but sacrificing Zaheer for Pandya is too early a call. Superior lower order hitting but will deplete bowling heavily.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

Could sacrifice one of the spinners for Pandya.
Yes, but Kul-Cha is a gun duo aren't they ? They have consistently troubled teams all over the world in their own den.

If Pandya improves his bowling in the future, him replacing Zaheer gives the ideal team balance.

harsh.ag

The thing with India's team is that there is absolutely no need for a proper 5th bowler as such. Yuvi + Sachin + Sehwag/Raina will easily provide 10 serviceable overs (and more).

h_hurricane

Part timers have definitely worked well for us. After all both our ODI WC victories have been built over heavy contribution from part timers. But seeing an indian team with 3 sub 25 average bowlers, I am getting a bit greedy :) Never had this luxury in the past.