• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC show some backbone

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Until the last word you had a point then something about pots and kettles........
Except your point regarding the West Indies was ludicrous and did make you look silly.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Kenny said:
Gee Mike - I don't think even the Aussies would be too flash without their best 15 players in the side mate - whaddya need a slide rule or something? 8-)
Well, there's an admission and a half. For many years, various Australians have been telling the rest of the world that their team is so awesome that their second eleven should be given Test status so that the first team could have some competition.

I'd agree that only a ludicrous optimist or a ZCU official could possibly entertain the theory that a side selected on a racial basis could match, let alone exceed, a side selected on boring old merit, but it was not possible for ICC or anyone else to state it as an absolute certainty until they'd seen the sorry crew in action. And if the ZCU's case was effectively that the white players were keeping the good black players out, as happened to Basil D'Oliveira in South Africa forty years ago, then they have to have a chance to prove their nonsensical theory before they get booted.

Still, it looks like the ZCU have been dim enough to tell the ICC to naff off and that ICC will seek to shore up their revenues by suspending them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mike

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting to see the South Africans putting pressure on the ICC to sort out Zim... Pity they cant do that kind of thing on the political stage..

chicane

State Captain
Langeveldt said:
Interesting to see the South Africans putting pressure on the ICC to sort out Zim... Pity they cant do that kind of thing on the political stage..
It's the ICC that approached the SA and Indian boards to help out as they have good relations with the ZCU.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The WI won't lose Test status.Not with the WC2007 being hosted here.Also Lara's in the team.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
why should WI lose Test status??

they have shown that they can beat quality opposition and be competitive, even if they don't win the series.

LOST 3-1 v Australia in 2003 (4 matches)
WON 1-0 v SL in 2003 (2 matches)
WON 1-0 v Zim in 2003 (2 matches)
LOST 3-0 v SA in 2003/2004 (4 matches)
LOST 3-0 v ENG in 2004 (4 matches)

Slow Love™

International Captain
The comment about WI losing test status is just idiotic - I don't know why people are responding to it seriously.

Kind of fitting that the ICC ends up with egg all over it's face on this matter. More surprising to me is Cricket Australia's absolute willingness to be tossed around like pawns by the ZCU. When the ICC is threatening that the matches will be stripped of test status, it's just incredible that CA can't figure out that it's safe by now to say "let's forget it" and head home.

Although, I guess it's up to the ICC to make it clear that there won't be any financial penalty to do so. Get cracking, Mani.

Slow Love™

International Captain
badgerhair said:
ICC threatening dire penalties on countries which don't want to take part in farcical matches is not a method for maintaining international cricket as the kind of special occasion which commands premium pricing for gate money and TV rights, and it's the fact that places like India have got better ways of making money than to host matches which nobody will attend or watch on TV that has finally made ICC realise that something has to be done about the racists who run the ZCU, not that ICC is prepared to take a moral stand. Under the present ICC regime, there would have been no boycott of South Africa, and they'd still be picking whites-only teams.
I agree with this last paragraph of yours, although it seems to contradict what preceded it (how can you complain about the inactiveness of the ICC if you don't believe they should have acted before now?).

The title of this thread is a little bit of a misnomer, really, because all that happened is that the ICC finally got pushed around by some interests that it's actually afraid of. As you point out, finally regaining some moral fibre had very little to do with it. So in a sense, it's a case of them having even less backbone than before.

It's also kinda weird that a 24 hour "ultimatum" becomes "a meeting on Friday". For all their bluster, they can't even tell the Aussie team to go home while Malcolm Speed whipes the custard pie from his face.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Kenny said:
You all know by now what I think is threatening the sanctity of test cricket.....and it ain't Zimbabwe!
If you're talking about Murali, I can see where you're coming from, but why would you say that the situation in Zimbabwe is not threatening the sanctity of test cricket???

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
If you're talking about Murali, I can see where you're coming from, but why would you say that the situation in Zimbabwe is not threatening the sanctity of test cricket???
Of course you are probably right - it's just that they were never going to beat either Sri Lanka or Australia anyway!!
Teams selected on racial grounds do not particularly inspire anyone, I wouldn't have thought......

Craig

World Traveller
Kill cricket off in the West Indies (ie Tests) would be devastating, and hinder the Island's economies, since the large Australian and English Supporter groups boast the economies greatly.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Look I'm sure the original comment was just rhetorical!!!
No way are the Windies going to be dumped from test cricket!

anzac

International Debutant
Scallywag said:
How will they validate Sri Lankas win if they turn around and say that the same team is not up to standard for playing Australia.
What possible reason could they give for allowing Zim to play SL and then say they are not good enough to play Aus.
ok so without the offending final line there is a very interesting point raised..........

firstly the obvious answer is that until the 2nd test everyone was trying to kid themselves that it was not goin to be a farce - a whitewash is acceptable but not the potential for AUS to set some horrendous records etc........

and the fact that only about 300 locals turned up to watch the Tests sort of killed the arguement re local support for the game in ZIM..........

if the ZCU get the chop from the ICC - will the SRL series stand or get wiped out??????

can you imagine the outcry from SRL quaters if the stats get wound back to prior to that series????

although it could also give the ICC, SLCB & Murali an opportunity to 'wipe the slate clean' regarding anything that may have taken place during the tour - very convenient way to avoid some possibly nasty confrontations etc.........

:naughty:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anzac said:
and the fact that only about 300 locals turned up to watch the Tests sort of killed the arguement re local support for the game in ZIM..........

How many turned up before this trouble though?

Not many more I don't think.

anzac

International Debutant
if this is so that the crowds are not supporting their national team at full strength - then what can be the justification for all the threats from the ICC about teams not touring regarding the benefit of the local game & development etc?????

not much point or benefit to be had in an empty stadium & the locals would just end up out of pocket as well as whitewashed..............

:blink:

biased indian

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
I would think quite a lot more.Maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 full stadium.
its not because of the current problem that crowd is not coming it was always like that in Zim and pakistan is another example of crowd not coming for tests