• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** County Cricket 2019

Tom Flint

International Regular
Kind of ignores the number of players they've brought through the ranks over the last few years, but anyway. Off the top of my head, Burns, Roy, Pope, Curran S, Curran T, Virdi, Jacks, Smith. And Batty and Clarke were home grown before we lent them out for a while. I've probably forgotten one or two others.

But yes we are a bit **** this season.
Isn't batty from Yorkshire?

cpr

International Coach
Yorkshire = France
France = Overseas
Overseas = Surrey try to claim as homegrown.

Tom Flint

International Regular
He's been decent for quite a few years now for Surrey on a non spinning wicket. Thinking was that if he was good at the oval then he would be even better in the sc, even though leach has been the better spinner for years I think they went with batty for experience lol.
Isn't that the tour ansari went on too?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He's been decent for quite a few years now for Surrey on a non spinning wicket. Thinking was that if he was good at the oval then he would be even better in the sc, even though leach has been the better spinner for years I think they went with batty for experience lol.
Isn't that the tour ansari went on too?
Yup. It may even have been the last FC cricket that Ansari played before retiring.
Regarding Leach, I think there were goings on regarding his action which meant they left him at home. Obviously he's a superior bowler to any of the spinners who were taken.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely if you wanted a mediocre middle aged offie for that tour back then James Tredwell would have been a better shout than Batty. He had at least actually bowled well in an England shirt on occasion.

Maybe they just decided he wasn't obnoxious enough

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely if you wanted a mediocre middle aged offie for that tour back then James Tredwell would have been a better shout than Batty. He had at least actually bowled well in an England shirt on occasion.

Maybe they just decided he wasn't obnoxious enough
Tredwell **** the bed in the one Test he played against the WIndies. All his decent England performances came in ODI's.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Tredwell **** the bed in the one Test he played against the WIndies. All his decent England performances came in ODI's.
From (admittedly vague) memory he wasn't that bad in that WI test, didn't take many wickets but was pretty economical. Not saying he was anything great but I have no doubt at all he was far better than Batty.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Quite unfortunate that Malan hasn't really had any T20I opportunities for England since that tri-series against Aus and NZ. Often flys under the radar but is pretty great in the format

Depending on what happens in the Hales situation, could see him making the squad for the next t20 WC

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Not exactly sawn off, but yet more poor umpiring denies the crowd a potential De Villiers smashathon.

The review system should be in place for all televised games.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Quite unfortunate that Malan hasn't really had any T20I opportunities for England since that tri-series against Aus and NZ. Often flys under the radar but is pretty great in the format

Depending on what happens in the Hales situation, could see him making the squad for the next t20 WC

He can also bowl a few of those slowies that sometimes do the trick in T20 cricket.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yorkshire brutalising Leicestershire. Good to see Pooran batting higher than the 7 he batted at the other day.

Matt Fisher injured again. Dislocated his shoulder the other day. Fortunately doesn't seem too bad. Back in 4-6 weeks. Still probably means he will barely play again this season. I'd take him on a lions trip this winter. Needs the cricket and has international potential.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
What is it with these Southern grounds and their comatose atmospheres (only Essex seems to rock)? A T20 sell out London Derby and it sounded like a funeral.
One sided game in the end.

Hopefully we'll see a better game on Thursday when there is a real derby game. Yorks v Lancs at one of the real homes of cricket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The only good news for Surrey was the return of Ollie Pope. Hopefully he's fit enough for the 4-day games too.