• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian team do you think will win in a 5 test series ?

Which team do you think will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sunilz

International Regular
India(2000-10)

Gambhir
Sehwag
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Ganguly(C)
Dhoni (WKT)
Harbhajan/Pathan
Kumble
Ishant
Zaheer

India(2011-19)

Shaw
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli(C)
Rahane
Ashwin
Pant(WKT)
Jadeja
Kuldeep/Pandya
Shami
Bumrah

Howe_zat

Audio File
Did Ishant and Ganguly ever play a test together? I'll assume you meant to compare India now to India 10 years ago.

The current side is more adaptable and better in the field, but less convincing with the bat than the side that won all those series in 2008-10. If the series were played around the world I'd favour the 2019 team, but 2009 would flatten them in India.

sunilz

International Regular
Did Ishant and Ganguly ever play a test together? I'll assume you meant to compare India now to India 10 years ago.

The current side is more adaptable and better in the field, but less convincing with the bat than the side that won all those series in 2008-10. If the series were played around the world I'd favour the 2019 team, but 2009 would flatten them in India.
Yes in 2008 .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'd say the exact opposite. The old team barely ever got beaten badly overseas apart from when they got really old. The bowling was obviously inferior but it got the job done most of the times because they were putting up big runs on the board.

In a head to head match-up I think the difference in batting quality is so immense that I'd back the old team in most conditions except a bunsen in the subcontinent. Apart from kohli and Pujara, no one in the top 6 can even nail down their spot in the team at the moment. Still too many question marks there.

People have been highly overrating this team imo. I'm happy they won in Australia but fmd, the way they got lost in England (when all of them were supposed to be in their prime) was ****ing embarrassing.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say the exact opposite. The old team barely ever got beaten badly overseas apart from when they got really old. The bowling was obviously inferior but it got the job done most of the times because they were putting up big runs on the board.

In a head to head match-up I think the difference in batting quality is so immense that I'd back the old team in most conditions except a bunsen in the subcontinent. Apart from kohli and Pujara, no one in the top 6 can even nail down their spot in the team at the moment. Still too many question marks there.
Yes, except a lot will depend on how the oldies play Ashwin on crumbling pitches. Given that the oldies dominated both Warne and Murali I see no reason for the current team to win even at home. I'd select Sreesanth over Ishant in the old team (young Ishant was meh). Ishant/Bhuvi can take the place of Kuldeep/Hardik in the new team.

Last edited:

vcs

I think this team has surpassed the achievements of the 2008-10 team with the win in Australia. I'd back them to get it done over a 5-match series.

OverratedSanity

Actually I'm even sceptical of this current side winning at home. They 2000-2010 team is literally the best lineup at playing spin in the history of cricket.

It'd be fun to watch though no doubt.

vcs

People have been highly overrating this team imo. I'm happy they won in Australia but fmd, the way they got lost in England (when all of them were supposed to be in their prime) was ****ing embarrassing.
4-0 in England starting with a 200 run defeat and progressively getting worse was humiliating FFS. This team is far from perfect, but it does not lack fight.

And no, just because it was 2011 and they'd won the World Cup, I'm not going to give the oldies a free pass over it.

OverratedSanity

4-0 in England starting with a 200 run defeat and progressively getting worse was humiliating FFS. This team is far from perfect, but it does not lack fight.

And no, just because it was 2011 and they'd won the World Cup, I'm not going to give the oldies a free pass over it.
Yeah, no if you want to include those two overseas tours in 2011 when they were super old then I'd also include 2014 in England when this team were noobs. That team in 2014 was the very definition of lacking fight. 2014 and 2018 were two horrendous tours in a row to englabd by this team and while the first is understandable because of their age, the second absolutely is not. 1-4 when the entire team is supposedly at its peak is ****ing atrocious.

I actually didn't even mention the overseas failures in 2013-14 since it would be unfair to them. But if you consider the 0-8 then those can't be ignored.

Plus 2000-2010 time frame doesn't even include those tours so meh

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular

Not to give excuse and England thoroughly deserved that series . However a fully fit Zaheer would have made that series a lot competetive . He was the Man of the series of previous England tour and leader of the bowling attack.

OverratedSanity

Fair enough if you want to say the current team is better overall (though I'd disagree) or is more dominant at home but I legit cannot understand how anyone can think this current team travels better ffs.

vcs

Yeah, no if you want to include those two overseas tours in 2011 when they were super old then I'd also include 2014 in England when this team were noobs. That team in 2014 was the very definition of lacking fight.

I actually didn't even mention the overseas failures in 2013-14 since it would be unfair to them. But if you consider the 0-8 then those can't be ignored.

Plus 2000-2010 time frame doesn't even include those tours so meh
I'm happy with including 2013-14 for this team. Apart from the last 3 Tests in England, I was fairly satisfied with how they did in that overseas cycle.

4-1 is a lopsided scoreline, but there were genuine chances for India to win in Edgbaston and Southampton until the last session or so. Disappointing result overall but far from embarrassing or anything.

I think the demarcation should be upto England 2012 for the old team, and after that for the new one. I know Sachin only retired in late 2013, but he was a passenger when we smashed Australia 4-0 in 2013.

Last edited:

vcs

Not to give excuse and England thoroughly deserved that series . However a fully fit Zaheer would have made that series a lot competetive . He was the Man of the series of previous England tour and leader of the bowling attack.
Current side has much more depth, and that is due to good planning and overall vision in selection policy, as much as we like to criticize them. Injuries to one or two players don't kill the team anymore.

OverratedSanity

Current side has much more depth, and that is due to good planning and overall vision in selection policy, as much as we like to criticize them. Injuries to one or two players don't kill the team anymore.
Depth in bowling yeah. The batting has been an absolute shambles because no one can even cement their place in the starting xi the openers and number 6 spot have been revolving doors because they suck.

Spark

Global Moderator
It was also not exactly a result of simple misfortune and bad luck that Zaheer got injured there

Depth in bowling yeah. The batting has been an absolute shambles because no one can even cement their place in the starting xi the openers and number 6 spot have been revolving doors because they suck.
That 00s batting lineup also stood up against top quality pace attacks in typical bouncy conditions too.

It does show what the different priorities are overseas though. The batting can make you competitive, but to win you need the quicks.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

That 00s batting lineup also stood up against top quality pace attacks in typical bouncy conditions too
Literally in all conditions.

In all honesty, I think this current team has faced superior attacks. But the technical failings have been ridiculously obvious. It's like if that 2000-2010 team played 4 Sehwags overseas instead of one.

vcs

That's not really true TBH. SA smashed us home and away on at least 3 different occasions between 2008-10. Australia beat us in Melbourne by a big margin and SL hammered us a couple of times as well. All in the 2008-10 period.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's not really true TBH. SA smashed us home and away on at least 3 different occasions between 2008-10. Australia beat us in Melbourne by a big margin and SL hammered us a couple of times as well. All in the 2008-10 period.
You could say that SA were simply the better side in most departments though