• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian team do you think will win in a 5 test series ?

Which team do you think will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sunilz

International Regular
Don't worry we won't declare our side greatest ever like WI who couldn't win a test series in Asia from 1983 to 1995 and yet claim they dominated cricket everywhere. .. WI beat a 5th rate Indian side in 1983 and declared themselves greatest ever

sunilz

International Regular
You're not helping, sunilz.
I am sorry . When i created this thread nowhere did i say these Indian sides were great or something . Just wanted a simple discussion . If certain posters didn't like this thread, they should have avoided it .

Kirkut

International Regular
Yes, except a lot will depend on how the oldies play Ashwin on crumbling pitches. Given that the oldies dominated both Warne and Murali I see no reason for the current team to win even at home. I'd select Sreesanth over Ishant in the old team (young Ishant was meh). Ishant/Bhuvi can take the place of Kuldeep/Hardik in the new team.
Ishant of 2010-2015 was ordinary but Ishant of 2007-08 was ATG stuff, it was like watching Mcgrath bowling at 145 kph. The reason why he managed to play 90 tests was because of that 07-08 series.

Kirkut

International Regular
I think the Indian team which toured Australia in 2007-08 was the strongest ever, even though not all batsmen were at their peaks, I believe that was the second toughest Aussie tour after 1999/2000 tour.

2003-04 had the strongest batting line up but 2007-08 wins in the bowling department.

Chrish

International Debutant
How can you open with Shaw when he has played two games? It has to be Rahul or Dhawan.

Looking back, Indian bowling really was ****, wasn’t it ?

Kirkut

International Regular
Zaheer would own Vijay/Dhawan/Shaw but get crocked after Pujara deadbats him for 15 straight overs

Dhoni would play an attack of Harbhajan, Ojha, Mishra and Ishant from that point onwards in the series with Ganguly taking the new ball for a couple of overs. No slip fielders will be employed

Harbhajan would start off well but he'd soon be darting them in after Pant or someone takes him on

Sehwag would absolutely demolish Ashwin/Jadeja at some point, taking 200 runs off them in a couple of sessions

Dravid would keep getting pushed onto the back-foot and trapped in front by Bumrah

Sachin and Laxman would nail a tight 4th innings chase in one of the games

Jaddu would cause an unexpected degree of trouble to Sachin by not letting him score for long periods
Zaheer would probably do a Kumble and pick 10 wickets against this batting line up if there is reverse swing.

sunilz

International Regular
I know people will laugh reading some of the names but India's bowling line up was shaping extremely fine during 2006-08 period . Zaheer, Munaf, Pathan , Ishant, RP singh and Sreesanth all were bowling extremely well during that time . India's lack of fast bowling culture made sure none of them graduated to the next level . And Zaheer when be became a good bowler got unfit .

Still can't forget RP singh spell at Lords 2007 and T20 WC against SA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzzJlAhsw_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t83hfzst_3Q

Spark

Global Moderator
Ishant of 2010-2015 was ordinary but Ishant of 2007-08 was ATG stuff, it was like watching Mcgrath bowling at 145 kph. The reason why he managed to play 90 tests was because of that 07-08 series.
This is pushing it IMO, most of that was on the back of one spell rather than two years of consistent performance. IIRC even from when I first joined here, people were saying Ishant was overrated based on his actual results as opposed to "look what he did to Ponting". He seemed to have technical problems with his wrist position for a long time, bowled a lot of legside trash.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This is pushing it IMO, most of that was on the back of one spell rather than two years of consistent performance. IIRC even from when I first joined here, people were saying Ishant was overrated based on his actual results as opposed to "look what he did to Ponting". He seemed to have technical problems with his wrist position for a long time, bowled a lot of legside trash.
It's a pretty damning indictment on his lack of performance that people were still citing that spell to Ponting to justify Ishant's place 5 or 6 years after the fact

sunilz

International Regular
Ishant was also man of the series when AUS toured IND in 2008. First Indian pacer after Kapil in 1983 to win player of the series award. So it was not just one spell.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ishant was also man of the series when AUS toured IND in 2008. First Indian pacer after Kapil in 1983 to win player of the series award. So it was not just one spell.
Heh, this is true. Damn, I doubt any of us remember that. Joint top wicket taker with Harbhajan in the series with 15 wickets.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. Forgotten series. It was a way better performance than in Australia. 140 kph Mcgrath is pretty laughable though. He was largely trash in that period.

Spark

Global Moderator
Cameron White was actually a good cricketer, just picked for entirely the wrong role. The same cannot be said for Doherty and Beer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I am sorry . When i created this thread nowhere did i say these Indian sides were great or something . Just wanted a simple discussion . If certain posters didn't like this thread, they should have avoided it .
Bull****. You knew exactly what you were doing when you created this thread.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait. What?

Slifer

International Captain
Don't worry we won't declare our side greatest ever like WI who couldn't win a test series in Asia from 1983 to 1995 and yet claim they dominated cricket everywhere. .. WI beat a 5th rate Indian side in 1983 and declared themselves greatest ever
Bro stop acting all butt hurt smh. By popular consensus, the wi teams of the 80s were one of the two greatest of all time. They didnt declare anything themselves. And FWIW going 15 years without a test series defeat anywhere, losing ONE test at home in all of the 80s, winning a then record 11 tests in a row etc is enough to counter among the best ever.