• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian team do you think will win in a 5 test series ?

Which team do you think will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You could say that SA were simply the better side in most departments though
Yes, both SA and SL back then were a big step up from the current iteration. SL were a brilliant side back then. But the current NZ is better, the one we beat in 2009-10 was average. Current England is way better than the one we beat in 2007.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dead heat in terms of results really. In the 3 hammerings that vcs is talking about, all 3 series ended 1-1. Very good series, all of them.
Oh yeah. My point was that there's no shame at all in losing to a side with peak Steyn, peak Smith, peak Amla, good ABdV, peak Kallis etc.

Slifer

International Captain
Ok people are seriously getting carried away with a win vs an understrength Australian team. With that being said, a test series between the above teams would go either way. This current Indian team has a good bowling attack but imo outside of pujara and kohli, their batting (esp overseas) is still suspect. The SRT team has probably the opposite issue. An atg batting lineup with a decent bowling attack that's suspect away from Indian wickets.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the 00s side would still win on overseas - i.e. faster, bouncier - pitches. Their batting would be strong enough to stop the current attack taking 20 wickets cheaply on a consistent basis (probably meaning a lot of draws), and if they bat first they have access to those most merciless of wicket-taking options: scoreboard pressure and mental fatigue.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voted for the 2010 side for Asia and the current side for overseas.

That batting line up would have wrecked havoc in Asia regardless of Ashwin and Jadeja and Shami and whomever.
Overseas, the difference in bowling is too great. Can see Pujara and Kohli pummeling the bowling from back then.

OverratedSanity

Voted for the 2010 side for Asia and the current side for overseas.

That batting line up would have wrecked havoc in Asia regardless of Ashwin and Jadeja and Shami and whomever.
Overseas, the difference in bowling is too great. Can see Pujara and Kohli pummeling the bowling from back then.
Are we forgetting how much of a disappointment Pujara was overseas before this Australia tour? I love the guy, but come on, his overseas track record was bad.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are we forgetting how much of a disappointment Pujara was overseas before this Australia tour? I love the guy, but come on, his overseas track record was bad.
Yeah, but he's going to be facing Zaheer and <random rubbish> instead of Anderson and Curran and Rabada and Philander.

vcs

Zaheer would own Vijay/Dhawan/Shaw but get crocked after Pujara deadbats him for 15 straight overs

Dhoni would play an attack of Harbhajan, Ojha, Mishra and Ishant from that point onwards in the series with Ganguly taking the new ball for a couple of overs. No slip fielders will be employed

Harbhajan would start off well but he'd soon be darting them in after Pant or someone takes him on

Sehwag would absolutely demolish Ashwin/Jadeja at some point, taking 200 runs off them in a couple of sessions

Dravid would keep getting pushed onto the back-foot and trapped in front by Bumrah

Sachin and Laxman would nail a tight 4th innings chase in one of the games

Jaddu would cause an unexpected degree of trouble to Sachin by not letting him score for long periods

trundler

One question. Do you get the versions of these players who actually took the field together or their 'ideal' versions?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Srinath retired after 2003 didn't he? Get him in place of Ishant in the old team imo. And if Srinath isn't allowed, I'd play Sreesanth. Young Ishant was really mediocre.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Geez this series win in Australia against Australia's third XI has really got a lot of unnecessary chatter going on

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It is meaningful that they finally won in Australia yeah, but this is a god awful Australian side. The bowling isn't *that* bad but our batting is just completely ****.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I the only one who feels that the 2004 India team was a small addition of extra aggressiveness away from beating one of the best Australia teams of all time in Australia?

sunilz

International Regular
Geez this series win in Australia against Australia's third XI has really got a lot of unnecessary chatter going on
Don't worry we won't declare this side 2nd greatest or something like you tried to declare Steve sandpaper smith 2nd greatest after Bradman for averaging 75 in AUS.