• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian team do you think will win in a 5 test series ?

Which team do you think will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On the request of Burgey I am removing Ponting's runs scored in WI because he faced a rubbish bowling line up in 2003 tour where he scored most of his runs
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

So Ponting averages only 42 overseas if you remove his runs scored in WI . See it doesn't look good when you remove all the matches where player scored runs.
Didn't think this would happen to Ponting's record if you put those filters. That's indeed much poorer than what I expected his record will be.

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australians holding on to past glories to escape the harsh realities of the present. Reminds me of 85 year old Brexiters who still believe in the glory of the "Empire".

Lillie, Ponting et al. retired a long time back. What you have now is Mitch Marsh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Says someone posting in a thread literally devoted to asking for comparisons involving a test side from 2000-2010.

sunilz

International Regular
Not sure who Australia had as their third seamer in 1981 but Lillee and Alderman alone took more then that trio did in 2018.
I missed the words " in a calendar year " . You could have clicked on the link i had provided to avoid the confusion
https://cricket.yahoo.net/news/most-wickets-taken-pace-trio-020000184

So it is indeed true that last year Indian pace trio took more test wickets in a calendar year than any pace trio in a calendar year in cricket's history .

sunilz

International Regular
Any of Pascoe, Lawson, Hogg, Thomson, Whitney etc, it was a good year third pace bower injuries. Pascoe was third taking 16 in three tests before his knees crocked.

Why do these Indian fans like to fabricate history?
Don't befuddle the mythical narrative with facts Marc. It's not fair.

In 1981 the third seamer was probably Lawson. Whitney was called in from Lancashire League at some point on that tour as cover to make his dayboo as well.
All this goes to show is that two Australian quicks are >>>>> than three Indian quicks. I mean, we've all known that for decades anyway, but it's good to nip any suggestion to the contrary in the bud.
Please click on this link to check which pace trio took most wickets in a calendar year . I am sorry , I don't find any australian name on this list
https://cricket.yahoo.net/news/most-wickets-taken-pace-trio-020000184

It was headlines on cricinfo . Please also follow news of other countries before accusing someone of bias without any proof .

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
To clear the confusion, Bumrah, Ishant and Shami took most wickets by any pace trio in history when they "played together". Of course Lillee, Pascoe and Alderman took more wickets in 1981 (not all playing together).
I am not sure this is a right way to compare a pace trio but that is what this stat is all about.

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
Says someone posting in a thread literally devoted to asking for comparisons involving a test side from 2000-2010.
AND a current side. We are using the old days as a benchmark which is what it should be used for, not for claiming false superiority when one fields a team involving Shaun and Mitch Marsh.

Burgey

To clear the confusion, Bumrah, Ishant and Shami took most wickets by any pace trio in history when they "played together". Of course Lillee, Pascoe and Alderman took more wickets in 1981 (not all playing together).
I am not sure this is a right way to compare a pace trio but that is what this stat is all about.
It's a pretty stupid stat isn't it, when you've had thrown back at you the fact that two bowlers alone took more in one year than those three together did in 2018?

We best stop this though, because ishqiya won't want us talking about historical stats.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Lillee is a bonafide great for more than just his record, but even just that given more exposure in adverse conditions would have surely improved. What did he lack to succeed on slower pitches?

But in a more jingoistic vein, I do believe the current lot of Indian seamers is way more skillful than anything the Aussies have.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
It's a pretty stupid stat isn't it, when you've had thrown back at you the fact that two bowlers alone took more in one year than those three together did in 2018?

We best stop this though, because ishqiya won't want us talking about historical stats.
Agree with this.

Burgey

Lillee is a bonafide great for more than just his record, but even just that given more exposure in adverse conditions would have surely improved. What did he lack to succeed on slower pitches?

But in a more jingoistic vein, I do believe the current lot of Indian seamers is way more skillful than anything the Aussies have.
I think that's fair comment wrt to the current Indian bowlers. I think a lot of what they bring stems from how good their seam position is. It lets them get the most out of any swing or seam on offer. Attack compliments each other as well, as they all bring something a bit different to the table. Particularly like Bumrah. Bit of a fave of mine. Succeeding with what basically looks like a special needs run up and action is awesome in this day and age. I hope he stays fit. Seems a good fella with it too.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
The Indian bowlers have been able to take 218 wickets out of a possible 220 in away Tests in 2018, which is definitely a reflection of how good the pace attack has been.
This is the only interesting part of the whole article - I wonder how that compares to previous tours?

Burgey

It would have to be a massive improvement over the dross they’ve served up historically outside the SC.

OverratedSanity

This is the only interesting part of the whole article - I wonder how that compares to previous tours?
Part of it has to do with the pitches being much more pace friendly than on previous tours but still highly impressive. Don't think India have ever come close to taking 20 wickets this consistently before.

Burgey

Got a lot more to do with the fact you have two good/ very good quicks and one who’s learned to bowl over true past two or three years after being ordinary for a long time. Bumrah adds a lot. I know you’re all a wrap for Kumar but he’s more likely than the other three to have got some tap here, given his MO.

cnerd123

likes this
Bhuvi has added pace in the last couple of years. He's lost a bit of his accuracy in the process, but he's now a 135-140 bowler with late swing instead of a 125-135 bowler with hooping early swing. He'd have done fine on this recent tour IMO.