• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allan Border vs Graeme Pollock

Who was the better batsman?

• Total voters

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The two great left handers of world cricket between sandwiched between two masters from the Caribbean. One who had been all set to lead his side into greatness in the 70s and one who led his side out of mediocrity in the 80s.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Pollock may have been a better batsman, but I would rate Border well higher as a cricketer for all his accomplishments.

andmark

International Captain
I get the feeling Pollock would've had great stats with a full test career with his great technique but, as with many of that generation's South Africans, didn't get to get those stats, so Border takes it for me.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great admirer of TOTAB that I am, this one is really no contest - Pollock was as good Garry Sobers, and no left hander has ever been better than him

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Bradman couldn't split Pollock and Sobers for the honour of greatest left handed batsman.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To me Sangakkara is the greatest left hander this game has ever seen. Edging BCL by a minute margin.

Bradman's opinion holds the same weight as mine.

Burgey

To me Sangakkara is the greatest left hander this game has ever seen. Edging BCL by a minute margin.

Bradman's opinion holds the same weight as mine.
Given that Bradman died six months after Sangakkara debuted, it would indeed have been quite an achievement on his part to factor Kumar's career into his rankings.

Pollock was an amazing player, and it's such a shame he didn't play more just when we could have seen more footage of him with improved and widespread coverage in the 70s and even early 80s. He was a better batsman than Border imo, but never had the opportunity to achieve what TOTAB did. Of course, had he been given that opportunity, he would have been worked out, and his legacy would have been half of Border's anyway.

trundler

Given that Bradman died six months after Sangakkara debuted, it would indeed have been quite an achievement on his part to factor Kumar's career into his rankings.

Pollock was an amazing player, and it's such a shame he didn't play more just when we could have seen more footage of him with improved and widespread coverage in the 70s and even early 80s. He was a better batsman than Border imo, but never had the opportunity to achieve what TOTAB did. Of course, had he been given that opportunity, he would have been worked out, and his legacy would have been half of Border's anyway.
This is the closest we're going to get to Burgey saying someone was better than Border.

flibbertyjibber

The sample size for Pollock means you simply can't compare him properly and fairly to someone like Border who basically did everything in the game. Border for me.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Pollock. AB was a great cricketer as well. Very close to being the 3rd greatest post war cricketer from Victoria.

Top_Cat

Pollock as a pure bat. Remember being blown away by how well he batted in that Bradman game when he was 50+.

AB is what Nietzsche meant by the abyss and why all who played under him dominated 90s cricket.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I saw Pollock bat in the world masters cup in 1995 (He was 51 and looked 60) and boy he was class !