• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best of Bradman?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
270 at Melbourne in 1936-37 should be very high in the list. In the second innings, Bradman reversed the batting order. He came at # 7. One of the greatest innings ever.

On a side note, is this strategy of reversing batting order worth trying in modern game ? May be in a tricky pitch ? Will it bring any degree of success ?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Occasionally we do see pitches which play tricks for a session or 2 before flattening out. Maybe the Newlands pitch in the second Pak Vs SA test was an example of that. Reversing the batting order could work in such a scenario. The last SL Vs NZ test went from minefield to motorway as well.

vcs

Yeah, in NZ it definitely seems like a viable scenario. You need dogged lower order batsmen though, guys with decent defensive technique. If say, tomorrow, Australia were to tour NZ and were inserted on a greentop, I would consider sending Cummins and Paine up the order. England might consider using Moeen and Sam Curran. Might not work, but then again, there's not a whole lot to lose vs. them coming in at 50/6. Most other teams don't really have anyone to make it work though.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Possibly Ashwin and Bhuvi to open for India with Ishant to follow. Ashwin's and Ishant's batting skills have declined though.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think its a tactic for the times. I think orders were reversed when there was a shortish time to bat before a major break, after which there is a hope the pitch settled. I don't think it would work on a green top as the conditions are likely to last most of the day. In that situation its best to send in your most capable batsmen and pray they stick around long enough for the lower order to make runs when conditions flatten.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It might be worth trying reversing your order in a Adelaide day/night test if you start your innings under lights.
The ball seems to do a lot more in the night session.

Jack1

International Debutant
270 at Melbourne in 1936-37 should be very high in the list. In the second innings, Bradman reversed the batting order. He came at # 7. One of the greatest innings ever.

On a side note, is this strategy of reversing batting order worth trying in modern game ? May be in a tricky pitch ? Will it bring any degree of success ?
Yes. You have pinch hitters in limited overs. Pinch blockers in tests should be more of a thing on green tops.

270 for me is his best innings considering it came at number 7.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He came in at 7 because there’d been rain and pitches were uncovered. Sticky dogs in Australia were far more difficult than in England. Whilst they were drying out they were very difficult to bat on so Bradman sacrificed the lower order while it dried out. On a normal green top you have to trust your openers to do their job.

a massive zebra

International Captain
He came in at 7 because there’d been rain and pitches were uncovered. Sticky dogs in Australia were far more difficult than in England. Whilst they were drying out they were very difficult to bat on so Bradman sacrificed the lower order while it dried out. On a normal green top you have to trust your openers to do their job.
Finally an accurate explanation of the reasoning behind Bradman's strategy to reverse the order.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
have their been other instances of captains using this strategy in tests when the conditions are really bad?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, in NZ it definitely seems like a viable scenario. You need dogged lower order batsmen though, guys with decent defensive technique. If say, tomorrow, Australia were to tour NZ and were inserted on a greentop, I would consider sending Cummins and Paine up the order. England might consider using Moeen and Sam Curran. Might not work, but then again, there's not a whole lot to lose vs. them coming in at 50/6. Most other teams don't really have anyone to make it work though.
Moeen and Curran are dogged with decent defense technique?

I'd say Woakes and Leach would work better

TheJediBrah

I think this should absolutely be a thing. Quite a few "new-ball wickets" these days that see the top-order get sawn off and the lower-order have to do a recovery job. If you've got bowlers with a decent defensive ability (eg. Jack Leach) I can see the advantage to it. Top-order batsmen probably don't want to do it though because it makes you look like a ***** and opens you up to a huge range of sledging.

vcs

Moeen and Curran are dogged with decent defense technique?

I'd say Woakes and Leach would work better
I was wrong lol

Curran would probably get 50(34) all with edges through the slips and make it work, somehow.