• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jack Hobbs vs Len Hutton vs Herbert Sutcliffe vs Sunil Gavaskar

sunilz

International Regular
This. I remember Lara seeing off Mcgrath many times while scoring a lot off the other bowlers. He was shrewd enough to give respect where deserved while also knowing how to score big.

It is difficult to foresee an ATG batsman averaging 50 against ATG attacks. I am struggling to find any such examples. Possibly Bradman, but I am not sure.
Kohli against Steyn + Philander + Rabada/ Morkel

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I once read a great article on Hutton on Gavaskar right here on CW. Think fred wrote it but can't find it.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Hutton bringing the Ashes back after 2 full decades must be as big. Anyone who holds a definitive position on who was more skillful and indeed, more significant is bull****ting. Unless they're like 80.
In England there is a sense of euphoria attached with every Ashes victory. Check 1981, 2005 etc. All these were won against great odds, and hence highly memorable, but it is not as if they never happened previously.England would have won Ashes some 15-20 times in their history. Could be more. Same goes for Australia.

India never even won a test in WI or England prior to 1971. I don't think we even came close. In that context, I believe 1971 double triumphs are more significant.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Smith also had ATG tour last year in IND vs Jadeja and Ashwin . However in my opinion it is easier to score runs against ATG spin attack as compared to pace attack . Spin bowlers rely massively on pitch unless you are Warne .

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith also had ATG tour last year in IND vs Jadeja and Ashwin . However in my opinion it is easier to score runs against ATG spin attack as compared to pace attack . Spin bowlers rely massively on pitch unless you are Warne .
In that case you **** the bed when you arrive at a dustbowl.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I mean a bit more than 50 is basically what most ATG batsman end up at, so expecting them to average 50 against ATG bowlers is pretty silly.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Why do people rate hobbs so high?

I mean look at this guy..technique is laughable.Total amateur.Angled bat,bad balance.This guy is no way the best opener of all time.Hutton is far better.This guy is an amateur.

the big bambino

International Captain
Oh ... The internet is wonderful in profoundly exposing the desire of some people to announce their insecurities by trolling the world from their gamer bedrooms.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do people rate hobbs so high?
I mean look at this guy..technique is laughable.Total amateur.Angled bat,bad balance.This guy is no way the best opener of all time.Hutton is far better.This guy is an amateur.
Suffice to say you don't understand enough. Firstly demonstrations of technique then were often rubbish for various reasons (usually trying to demonstrate a stroke against a rubbish thrown ball. Film was limited so you weren't able to go back and correct it) so you need to find better footage, and secondly the requirements have changed. The back defence with the weight going very much onto the back leg worked with the lbw rule as it was then, when it changed techniques changed. Secondly it was designed to work on the inconsistent, more bowling favourable pitches. Modern players with hard grips, wide stances and the strong forward press with the foot going down the line of leg stump would likely find themselves constantly popping the ball up forward of the wicket or getting themselves bowled through the gate.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Procter's 11 (from players he has seen)

Barry Richards
Eddie Barlow
Viv Richards
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Denis Lindsay
Shane Warne