• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Heboric

International Debutant
Ill echo some other posters, very surprised by West Indies batting, I thought they could roll England over cheaply but then they themselves would be rolled even cheaper.

And kudos to West Indies cricket putting extensive highlights packages on YouTube

Arachnodouche

International Captain
@Beamer/SillyCowcorner: Are there other young batsmen like Hetmyer doing the rounds in the islands? I mean young, aggressive, but with a little Test standard class about them. Mind you, not complaining about the dour approach of the present lot either.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@Beamer/SillyCowcorner: Are there other young batsmen like Hetmyer doing the rounds in the islands? I mean young, aggressive, but with a little Test standard class about them. Mind you, not complaining about the dour approach of the present lot either.
Most of England's batsmen could learn a lot from the Brathwaite, Bravo and Chase approach to batting in a Test match

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Most of England's batsmen could learn a lot from the Brathwaite, Bravo and Chase approach to batting in a Test match
Yes, not implying otherwise for a second. Just curious to know if there is a genuine shift in batting styles in the Caribbean, T20s notwithstanding. It's not like the current batch dig in because there's a game to be saved; they actually seem at home with grafting and scavenging for runs.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I think we've still got a few problems producing class batsmen, there aren't that many on the horizon and no ultra talented dashers, they mostly bat quite traditionally. Most likely young batsmen in my opinion are:

Keacy Carty - Solid right hand top order batsman with a bit of class and elegance. Played the match winning innings in the Under 19 world cup final. Scores runs at FC level without dominating so far.

Kirsten Kallicharan - classy little right hander with a bucket load of club and junior cricket runs. Yet to get a chance at FC level.

Keegan Simmons - stubborn left handed opener. Best top order batter of the last under 19 lot. Knows his game really well for a teenager.

Alick Athanaze - attacking left hander who is great at shielding the tail. Our best overall performer at the last under 19 world cup. Has had a solid start to his FC career.

SCC, any Guyanese youngsters to look out for?

Beamer

Yes, not implying otherwise for a second. Just curious to know if there is a genuine shift in batting styles in the Caribbean, T20s notwithstanding. It's not like the current batch dig in because there's a game to be saved; they actually seem at home with grafting and scavenging for runs.
I think one reason why crowds haven't been coming in to watch the test team is that they find it hard to identify with the grafting style of batting. Tbh, historically we associate that more with England.

Hetmeyer is already most people's favourite batsman as he seems like the link to our past. TBF Campbell is similar, he plays lots of shots.

It's the Bajans that seem to be the grafters. Not sure why that is but Braithwaite, Hope, Chase and Dowrich all came from the same youth system/group so there must be some logic there.

Darren Bravo is just a class batsman who is capable of attacking or grinding.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Ill echo some other posters, very surprised by West Indies batting, I thought they could roll England over cheaply but then they themselves would be rolled even cheaper.

And kudos to West Indies cricket putting extensive highlights packages on YouTube
Yeah, the 2 or 40 min option of a days p li at is great. Wish Cricket Australia would do the same (also of historical matches).

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we've still got a few problems producing class batsmen, there aren't that many on the horizon and no ultra talented dashers, they mostly bat quite traditionally. Most likely young batsmen in my opinion are:

Keacy Carty - Solid right hand top order batsman with a bit of class and elegance. Played the match winning innings in the Under 19 world cup final. Scores runs at FC level without dominating so far.

Kirsten Kallicharan - classy little right hander with a bucket load of club and junior cricket runs. Yet to get a chance at FC level.

Keegan Simmons - stubborn left handed opener. Best top order batter of the last under 19 lot. Knows his game really well for a teenager.

Alick Athanaze - attacking left hander who is great at shielding the tail. Our best overall performer at the last under 19 world cup. Has had a solid start to his FC career.

SCC, any Guyanese youngsters to look out for?
I think you guys have heard about Sherfane Rutherford.

We have two (3 if you include Keemo) decent pace-bowling allrounders in Romario Shepherd(24) and Clinton Pestano (26). Both of them are excellent wicket-to-wicket bowlers

There's Bhaskar Yadram. He is turning out to be a Rakheem Cornwall (size). Fitness issues with him, but he's a talented batsman.

And a certain Tage Chanderpaul-- he is the ultimate grinder. He does it excessively though, and with his dad as assistant coach of Guyana Jaguars, I hope that he tries to increase that strike rate.

Chandrapaul Hemraj can belt it a bit, but I think he needs to work on his patience at the crease.

Other than those guys, there is a guy from my local club. Gudakesh Motie-Kanhai, tall, left-arm orthodox spinner. Bowling kinda like Keshav Maharaj.
The guys knocking at the door of the Jaguars team:

*Akshaya Persaud- 21-year-old medium fast bowler. I haven't much of him but heard that he's impressed selectors with his pace and was included in the Amazon Warriors team last year

*Tevin Imlach- 22-year-old former Windies under-19 keeper and world cup winner. He's in the Jaguars squad, played a single game in this current FC season last December as a batsman, hard to make the team as a keeper-batsmen because of incumbent Anthony Bramble.

+++++
There is a guy from Windwards I really enjoyed watching bat. Taryck Gabriel, only 23 years old. His stats are not impressive at all: avg of 18 after 14 matches. He has the grinding out mentality. Definitely work needed.

On the Leewards front, there is an exciting lower order, pace bowling allrounder I was impressed with. Jeremiah Louis, 22 years old. FC batting average of 20 and bowling average of 27. He's built a little like Cotterell. Nice smooth action. Almost like Kemar Roach.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was a good head-scratcher:

CWI is also braced for the ICC's report into the pitch prepared for the Antigua Test. With a perceived ridge just short of a good length, it was a surface which proved particularly lively in the first innings, with Joe Root receiving an unplayable lifter from Alzarri Joseph, while Roston Chase was bowled by a shooter from Stuart Broad on the second day.

However, CWI is hopeful of avoiding a demerit point for a "poor" surface, after West Indies' own batsmen proved that decent run-scoring was possible in making 306 in their only completed innings.
CWI president calls on ICC to review over-rates rule after 'crippling' Jason Holder suspension | ESPNcricinfo.com

#testcricketisthebestcricket

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
It was a challenging test wicket, but Windies batsman showed application and scored runs....it wasn't a poor pitch, too much being made about the wicket...but one side were fine on it, just we played dreadful and suddenly its the wicket's fault..

Beamer

I think you guys have heard about Sherfane Rutherford.

We have two (3 if you include Keemo) decent pace-bowling allrounders in Romario Shepherd(24) and Clinton Pestano (26). Both of them are excellent wicket-to-wicket bowlers

There's Bhaskar Yadram. He is turning out to be a Rakheem Cornwall (size). Fitness issues with him, but he's a talented batsman.

And a certain Tage Chanderpaul-- he is the ultimate grinder. He does it excessively though, and with his dad as assistant coach of Guyana Jaguars, I hope that he tries to increase that strike rate.

Chandrapaul Hemraj can belt it a bit, but I think he needs to work on his patience at the crease.

Other than those guys, there is a guy from my local club. Gudakesh Motie-Kanhai, tall, left-arm orthodox spinner. Bowling kinda like Keshav Maharaj.
The guys knocking at the door of the Jaguars team:

*Akshaya Persaud- 21-year-old medium fast bowler. I haven't much of him but heard that he's impressed selectors with his pace and was included in the Amazon Warriors team last year

*Tevin Imlach- 22-year-old former Windies under-19 keeper and world cup winner. He's in the Jaguars squad, played a single game in this current FC season last December as a batsman, hard to make the team as a keeper-batsmen because of incumbent Anthony Bramble.

+++++
There is a guy from Windwards I really enjoyed watching bat. Taryck Gabriel, only 23 years old. His stats are not impressive at all: avg of 18 after 14 matches. He has the grinding out mentality. Definitely work needed.

On the Leewards front, there is an exciting lower order, pace bowling allrounder I was impressed with. Jeremiah Louis, 22 years old. FC batting average of 20 and bowling average of 27. He's built a little like Cotterell. Nice smooth action. Almost like Kemar Roach.
Worried Moti-Kanhai won't get enough exposure with Permaul about. Really like him though. Hemraj is like John Campbell, talented but frustrating.

Definitely rate Louis also, he's a talented swing bowler.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think one reason why crowds haven't been coming in to watch the test team is that they find it hard to identify with the grafting style of batting. Tbh, historically we associate that more with England.

Hetmeyer is already most people's favourite batsman as he seems like the link to our past. TBF Campbell is similar, he plays lots of shots.

It's the Bajans that seem to be the grafters. Not sure why that is but Braithwaite, Hope, Chase and Dowrich all came from the same youth system/group so there must be some logic there.

Darren Bravo is just a class batsman who is capable of attacking or grinding.
One would imagine that they'll start to flock back now that the Windies are actually winning again. Any team would lose a fair amount of support following a generation of losses. Above all, this team actually seems to have some self-belief. Darren Bravo, still horribly out of form, stuck it out for over 200 balls and basically ensured a large lead. Great indication IMO

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, that's true. The same can apply to football teams, for example. A winning team will always attract the fair-weather fans.

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
so seen some videos of oshane thomas but from what ive seen he is not consistent with his line and length and has been very expensive, has good pace but i hope fro his and Windies sake he can develop. Thinks he may need to lose like 20 pounds otherwise could be looking at injury issues

Beamer

so seen some videos of oshane thomas but from what ive seen he is not consistent with his line and length and has been very expensive, has good pace but i hope fro his and Windies sake he can develop. Thinks he may need to lose like 20 pounds otherwise could be looking at injury issues
He's sensationally quick with the new ball and swings it a fair amount too. Like 94mph quick. Has a habit of bowling top quality players. On his ODI debut series he consistently beat Dhawan for pace and bowled him neck and crop. He also bowled Shai Hope with an absolute pearler in the CPL. Has got GAyle lbw twice also. However, he is down by a good 4/5mph on his second spell and yes as he gets tired he can be expensive. They've been working on his fitness over recent weeks and he bowled very well for Jamaica in our FC competition. I hope we get to see him.

Bowls Shai Hope