• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Howe_zat

Audio File
94 out of 175/8 is a lot more than I or probably anyone else expected of Sunil Ambris here. Might have rescued his career since he could open ahead of Campbell.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
94 out of 175/8 is a lot more than I or probably anyone else expected of Sunil Ambris here. Might have rescued his career since he could open ahead of Campbell.
He has scored lots of runs in warm up matches against NZ, Bangladesh and India. He also completely owns A team cricket. He just hasn't stepped up at test level.

I'd have him as back up middle order batsman ahead of Brooks any day.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Never been on a Windies tour... I presume it's the best one to follow.
Yes it's easily the best place in the world to follow your country especially England the atmosphere out there is amazing during one of our tests.
Also brilliant for the cpl

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope WI can somehow win a Test. Don't think it's all that likely though.

Beamer

Hope WI can somehow win a Test. Don't think it's all that likely though.
Only way I can see it happening is excellent seam bowling from our 3 world class seamers and one of our batsmen playing a special knock with cameos from everyone else.

Otherwise unfortunately I can't see it.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Just seen that Jamie Porter took 5-36 in the England A defeat to the Presidents XI

It was a one day game but still. Really want to see him given a chance for England, but there seems to be a prejudice against picking him - especially overseas - because of his lack of pace. Abbas for Pakistan has proved that it isn't everything. But no, we'll stick with Mark Wood because he's bowled a handful of balls that have touched 90mph in the last few years and that's what really counts

Bijed

International Regular
Just seen that Jamie Porter took 5-36 in the England A defeat to the Presidents XI

It was a one day game but still. Really want to see him given a chance for England, but there seems to be a prejudice against picking him - especially overseas - because of his lack of pace. Abbas for Pakistan has proved that it isn't everything. But no, we'll stick with Mark Wood because he's bowled a handful of balls that have touched 90mph in the last few years and that's what really counts
I think he was at least in the test squad last summer, but yeah, I was disappointed it wasn't him called up when Stone got injured

theegyptian

Porter is better off staying with the lions and actually playing, rather than being the last man in the test squad with very little chance of playing imo. Should benefit from playing in flatter conditions.

That lions tour has been pretty calamitous so far.

Kohler-Cadmore and Clarke dropped before the tour as a result of their ***ual conquests whatsapp group.
One of the replacements, Moores already returning home injured. Dunno why they called up Moores really. Got loads of keepers ahead of him, and he hasn't shown anything particularly impressive imo so far in his county career. Moores replaced by the 32 year old Mullaney who has no chance of playing for England.
Saq Mahmood can't get a visa to visit india due to his pakistani heritage.
Lost both warmup games to president xi, thrashed in second game.

FBU

International Debutant
Porter is better off staying with the lions and actually playing, rather than being the last man in the test squad with very little chance of playing imo. Should benefit from playing in flatter conditions.

That lions tour has been pretty calamitous so far.

Kohler-Cadmore and Clarke dropped before the tour as a result of their ***ual conquests whatsapp group.
One of the replacements, Moores already returning home injured. Dunno why they called up Moores really. Got loads of keepers ahead of him, and he hasn't shown anything particularly impressive imo so far in his county career. Moores replaced by the 32 year old Mullaney who has no chance of playing for England.
Saq Mahmood can't get a visa to visit india due to his pakistani heritage.
Lost both warmup games to president xi, thrashed in second game.
Do you think because Flower is coach we have Billings, Davies, Moore, Pope and Duckett , 5 keepers playing in the first warm up? :ph34r:

Woodster

International Captain

I'm a huge fan of Porter and he does deserve an England call-up for his continuously good form in county cricket with Essex. He is a late 70's early 80's kind of a bowler and would probably favour bowling in home conditions when he does get to make his debut. I agree he's probably better off with the Lions if he isn't going to play in the Caribbean but if the stories are true and WI are going to produce pitches with a bit of life in them he could have been a real handful over there. He's constantly at the batsmen, asking probing questions almost every ball and if there is some seam movement on offer he would be such a threat.

Beamer

I'm a huge fan of Porter and he does deserve an England call-up for his continuously good form in county cricket with Essex. He is a late 70's early 80's kind of a bowler and would probably favour bowling in home conditions when he does get to make his debut. I agree he's probably better off with the Lions if he isn't going to play in the Caribbean but if the stories are true and WI are going to produce pitches with a bit of life in them he could have been a real handful over there. He's constantly at the batsmen, asking probing questions almost every ball and if there is some seam movement on offer he would be such a threat.
Basically the English Vernon Philander. If the pitches are like they were last year he would be extremely effective.

Woodster

International Captain
Basically the English Vernon Philander. If the pitches are like they were last year he would be extremely effective.
I mean that would be quite the compliment, but yes he's certainly that type of bowler. He can at times look innocuous but he continues running in hard and seems to hit the bat a little harder than you may expect. I love his attitude.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is going to be a good series. Windies home and they have selected a good team this time. Up against a very good English team. The challenge for Windies, as it is for other teams, will be in getting rid of the English lower order. Would have been good if they had selected the Fat Corn too.

Eager to follow the series supporting the underdog Windies.

Woodster

International Captain
I think West Indies can be a very dangerous side, if it all clicks for them in a Test match they could certainly upset England, however, at this stage I don't believe they have the necessary consistency in their performances to take the series. They will certainly have their moments.

Shai Hope needs to rediscover the Test form that marked him out as the next WI batsman to reach the levels rarely seen in recent times in the Caribbean, Shmiron Hetmyer will hopefully learn from some of his more wreckless dismissals and become a consistently dangerous striker of the ball capable of match defining contributions. Shannon Gabriel will inevitably pose problems with his pace and new found accuracy. Was never a huge advocate of Jason Holder taking up the reigns but he continues to develop in his role as skipper and is now being armed with the tools in which to move West Indies forward.

There is also the returning Darren Bravo with a point to prove. England will certainly need to be switched on.

Beamer

Prediction time. England to win 2-0, with one West Indies dominated draw. West Indies seamers to cause a lot of problems for England's batting, exposing a few as overrated or not good enough (Jennings and Butler IMHO). One or two of our batsmen to play excellent innings, but not at the same time. Ultimately, England's lower order batting ability and bowling resources for all conditions will be too strong.

I think Joe Root will score a lot of runs and Broad will take a lot of wickets. For us, I expect Gabriel to cause a lot of problems and am backing Shimron Hetmeyer to really make a statement with his batting in this series.

My predicted lineups:

Windies: Brooks, Joseph and Thomas to miss out as the pitch will offer late turn

Braithwaite
Campbell
Hope
Bravo
Chase
Hetmeyer
Dowrich (wk)
Holder
Warrican
Roach
Gabriel

England: Only one spinner as they will want Curran swinging the Dukes ball alongside Jimmy. Broad to make it due to his form in training. Root the second spin option.

Jennings
Burns
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Butler
Foakes (wk)
Ali
Curran
Broad
Anderson

Beamer

Other prediction is for Campbell to fail quite badly. He's a talented and attractive batsman to watch but he just isn't ready for test cricket. I really really really hope I'm wrong.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
has bravo scored any runs of late or is this a complete hail mary?

last time i watched him, versus india he seemed to have developed a terrible issue v the short ball.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He just played his first FC game in >2 years

I'd still pick him tbh, given the state of the other batting options.