Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 50 of 181 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Like Tree433Likes

Thread: *Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

This is what I'm thinking at the moment, providing the pitch is going to similar to that one at Barbados -

1. Burns
    2. Denly
    3. Bairstow
    4. Root
    5. Buttler
    6. Stokes
    7. Foakes
    8. Ali
    9. Woakes
    10. Broad
    11. Anderson

You have Denly and Bairstow batting in positions they don't bat in for their counties but needs must. Jennings needs to be left out of the side for his own confidence levels, and while Denly wouldn't be my normal replacement he is the only option so as we've brought him let's get him in there.

Stokes needs a bit of time to recover from his bowling spells, he is bowling well so will inevitably get through plenty of overs and at number five in the England side at the moment you're generally in pretty soon. Six might not give him much more respite but it's worth a try.

Foakes bats above Ali for me.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    Results are what matters not what others thought of him. He averaged 33 with the ball and 32 with the bat. Hardly the figures of a super star. His entire rep is virtually build on one phenomenal series.
    This is definitely untrue. 05 Ashes is what he'll always be remembered for but r was genuinely incredible for a good 3 years or so (2004-06 ish) and a serviceable cricketer for the rest. His performance to earn a drawn series in India in 06 is right up there among all round performances I've seen in the country.

Career stats aren't spectacular but they definitely undersell his quality imo. Holder is superb but it's a little much to say he's better than flintoff ever was. I hope he has a better career though, he's much much more likeable.
    vcs and andmark like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    While Curran was Wasim reborn in that first test.

I think Woakes is a better player at the moment. Failing on the roads of Aus doesn't make u a bad bowler.
    No but failing miserably in all three of New Zealand, Australia and South Africa does suggest that he's not got much going for him abroad.

Curran is young, I full expect him to have a few more stinkers as he establishes himself. Broad and Anderson certainly did having similarily gotten into the team at a very young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    This is what I'm thinking at the moment, providing the pitch is going to similar to that one at Barbados -

1. Burns
    2. Denly
    3. Bairstow
    4. Root
    5. Buttler
    6. Stokes
    7. Foakes
    8. Ali
    9. Woakes
    10. Broad
    11. Anderson

You have Denly and Bairstow batting in positions they don't bat in for their counties but needs must. Jennings needs to be left out of the side for his own confidence levels, and while Denly wouldn't be my normal replacement he is the only option so as we've brought him let's get him in there.

Stokes needs a bit of time to recover from his bowling spells, he is bowling well so will inevitably get through plenty of overs and at number five in the England side at the moment you're generally in pretty soon. Six might not give him much more respite but it's worth a try.

Foakes bats above Ali for me.
    TBF Denly does bat at 3 most games and has opened before so it's not exactly like it's uncharted territory for him.
    Last edited by Groundking; 28-01-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Cow
    Banned
    Curran's bowling looks way too military medium for me... almost part-time'ish.
    Woodster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    TBF Denly does bat at 3 most games and has opened before so it's not exactly like it's uncharted territory for him.
    Yes it shouldn't be too alien, but once again we are batting players in positions where they don't play for their counties.

International Debutant
    Curran will amount to no good as a bowler outside England. May as well start grooming him for the top order spot everyone thinks he's preordained for and be content with the support bowling he can provide. Not like Eng couldn't do without some actual talent upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    Curran will amount to no good as a bowler outside England. May as well start grooming him for the top order spot everyone thinks he's preordained for and be content with the support bowling he can provide. Not like Eng couldn't do without some actual talent upstairs.
    Not sure I see him becoming a huge top order batting talent personally but maybe I haven't seen enough of him. As we know, lower order runs are one thing, the pressure of actually being a batsman is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    If you bowl a team out in the first innings for 77 you are going to have pretty much full control from there on in, providing you don't suffer a similar first innings fate. I'd say England would have been pretty happy after WI's first innings, of course WI then assumed full control thereafter.
    I think the reality is we made a good first innings total given the conditions. We battled to put some runs on the board and then bowled extremely well in the first innings, therefore putting ourselves in complete control. My point is we usually wait until we're behind before producing something special. This was a great sign because we did all the right things from the start.

State Vice-Captain
    Burns
    Denly
    Bairstow
    Root
    Buttler +
    Stokes
    Woakes
    Ali
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson

My Antigua test prediction (slight caveat that Windies haven't named their squad yet). England to win but in a very tight battle, leading to the prospect of a very exciting final test in St Lucia. Broad to take wickets and put our top order under pressure.

Lineups:

Windies:

Braithwaite
    Campbell
    Hope
    Bravo
    Chase
    Hetmeyer
    Dowrich (wk)
    Holder (c)
    Warrican
    Roach
    Gabriel

The left arm spinner will come in for Joseph I expect. Last year the pitch had lots of grass on and our seamers ran riot, but that seemed a one off. If it is a new policy, than Joseph will stay. If Gabriel doesn't recover from his toe injury, Oshane Thomas can come in. They must be tempted to bring him in anyway given how badly England played pace at times in the first test. What's stopping them is that he hasn't proven he can still bowl in the 90 mph range in his second and third spells If Dowrich's back is still sore, give Shai Hope the gloves and bring in the spinner anyway.

England:

Jennings
    Burns
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Butler
    Foakes
    Ali
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson

Jennings has one test to show he can play pace or he'll be dropped. Foakes moves up one because Moeen deserves to be demoted for his awful batting in the last test. Broad comes in for Curran for extra height and zip, Leach comes in for Rashid to provide more control. Lack of pace in the attack is clearly a problem but at least this will have a little more menace with the inclusion of Broad and control through Leach.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    It's not that Curran had "one bad game". It's the fact that he bowls 125 kph, with no real height/bounce which means he relies solely on swing which only works in England/New Zealand under cloudy conditions. It's not easy for him to add an extra 10kph so it's actually the potential that's lacking, not just execution issues. His footwork also suggests that he's not good enough to be a pure batsman for England.

Unfortunately once Anderson retires England's bowling stocks will also start to look toothless (which it does already outside of England) without any world class seamer or spinner in the ranks. You can't have that and a shaky top/middle order and purely rely on depth. As much as England's ODI (batting) game has improved, the lack of a world class player to emerge in the last 3 years is a bit worrying. Doesn't help that the likes of Bairstow, Root and Stokes have actually had their game go backwards since 2017 or so.
    Last edited by Cow Corner; 28-01-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    I think the reality is we made a good first innings total given the conditions. We battled to put some runs on the board and then bowled extremely well in the first innings, therefore putting ourselves in complete control. My point is we usually wait until we're behind before producing something special. This was a great sign because we did all the right things from the start.
    I wasn't attempting to play down the achievements of West Indies in that opening Test, they were excellent, and they showed good discipline in that first innings against some very good bowling from Anderson and Stokes. Still don't think it was a minefield and for England to keep them below 300 after the start the WI had was a job well done.

As you say, you were never really behind in the Test by any distance at all, so I take your point.

State Vice-Captain
    Surely Joseph will play at his home ground?

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    This is definitely untrue. 05 Ashes is what he'll always be remembered for but r was genuinely incredible for a good 3 years or so (2004-06 ish) and a serviceable cricketer for the rest. His performance to earn a drawn series in India in 06 is right up there among all round performances I've seen in the country.

Career stats aren't spectacular but they definitely undersell his quality imo. Holder is superb but it's a little much to say he's better than flintoff ever was. I hope he has a better career though, he's much much more likeable.
    He only has 2 years were he averages sub 30 with the ball, only averages sub 30 against 2 sides.Only 3 years where he averages 40 and above, only 2 opposition sides where he averages 40 +.

None of his stats over anything but an extremely short period is incredible. He was merely good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Flint View Post
    Surely Joseph will play at his home ground?
    Our selectors don;t really think of things like that tbh. So I doubt it would matter. Hopefully they will make the decision on the basis of the pitch and not nationality.

Thread Information