• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Asking a near 33-year-old debutant who bats three domestically, with average results, to open is asking a lot.
Rashid out of the 3rd test as well, which makes the test selection pretty strange if they knew he would be going home at one point and when he does, it won't be just for 1 test.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Let's be honest he can't do any worse...even if only short term give him a go and see how it goes...im glad to see him finally getting his chance....

Tom Flint

International Regular
So it looks like the team will be
Burns
Denly
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Ali
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Still one seamer short if the pitch is anything like Barbados and they go with the same xi esp if they win the toss and bat first. Unless we throw in a late surprise and go with
Burns
Denly
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Buttler +
Ali
Curran
Broad
Leach
Anderson
That looks more balanced to me though I'd have Curran 7 and Ali 8

Last edited:

Cow

Banned
Better off having Roy open and just playing in one day mode. England never get bowled out for 77 in ODI cricket.

Last edited:

Cow

Banned
I've read both Atheton and Stewart pushing for Roy's inclusion in the test team. This is Ashes year... Roy has history of dishing out throbbing 9 inch length to the Aussie bowlers both home and away. He's a far more talented batsmen than Denly imo.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rather Hales try again. His record wasn't as bad as his average makes it seem. 5 fifties in 11 tests means he was at least consistently contributing. Just when he failed he really failed

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Hales has a big problem with the ball being brought back into him....and he bats 5 for Notts in CC, so if he's gonna come back into the side it would be middle order not at the top

Woodster

International Captain
I think Jason Roy is very much like Jos Buttler, they just have too much talent to only succeed in one-day cricket. But if Roy wants to strengthen his claims to play Test cricket he needs to commit to more first-class cricket and give some of the T20 competitions a miss (certainly the IPL that impinges on the county season), I know Buttler didn’t have to, or Rashid, but if he wants it he should make sacrifices. This may be an outdated school of thought, but if he hits some real form for Surrey at the start of the season it surely puts him in a better position, if this is important to him.

He played two CC games for Surrey last season, the last two games of the season, batting at three in both of those, he also batted for the Lions against Pakistan before Xmas. Not sure I’d say he was a natural three but there’s an opening in the England team for an opener and a number three, he certainly has the talent and ability in my opinion to have a good go at the securing one of those.