• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This Era Is Awesome

Flem274*

123/5
it's cute to see the nostalgia for the early 00s finally arrive in akilanas post, i was posting on this forum when people were running around taking 10 runs off the averages of guys like mahela "i average ten million at home" jayawardene and mathew "whenever i see a road i walk at the bowler" hayden

this forum was obsessed with deciding who could cope with the 80s and 90s bowlers and who was secretly a 32 averaging batsman.

overratedmentalhealth has already dispatched of subshakerz far more generously than i was going to

dare i say it, had this forum existed in the 80s and the 90s i think we'd be seeing much of the same moaning about batsmen we do now. i certainly think people would be adding ten runs to the bowling averages of hadlee, imran etc for reasons like bowling on lawns and home umpires. moaning that touring was hard and teams found it a mission to win away from home, moaning that batting was so bad the likes of zimbabwe were becoming competitive. no south africa in the 80s meaning the west indies were also a secretly crap #1.

given the likes of england and australia were a bit weaker than the others and india were yet to really rise up like they did in the 2000s, then given the demographics of this forum now, if it existed back then then this place would be "test criket sux now bring bak the 60s and 70s".

we don't remember cricket for how it actually was at the time. we remember it by what we write about it 20 years later, and when you write about something long after the fact you're only going to be writing about the interesting stuff you remember and that's going to seriously pump the tyres of any decade you choose to write about.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's a particularly great era, but certainly an entertaining one. India the clear number 1, but still not capable of beating their closest rivals away from home. England, SA and NZ all highly competitive at home and away. Australia a total laughing stock. It's good times for a cricket watcher. I do worry about the decline of SL and Pakistan though (even if they both had their moments in 2018).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think there’s a lot to say about not having a dominant team - where there’s a legitimate chance of most teams beating most other teams, especially at home. Of course people always like rooting against the dominant team, so you may miss that. But it’s easy to root against the BCCI always!

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't think it's a particularly great era, but certainly an entertaining one. India the clear number 1, but still not capable of beating their closest rivals away from home. England, SA and NZ all highly competitive at home and away. Australia a total laughing stock. It's good times for a cricket watcher. I do worry about the decline of SL and Pakistan though (even if they both had their moments in 2018).
I think Sanjay Majrekar made this point a few years ago. Would you rather be entertained seeing more mediocre teams be competitive against each other, or see more great players across the world exhibiting their skills even if it means less some teams are more frequently dominated.

It is not nostalgia to appreciate high quality. I prefer strong teams facing strong teams, even if it leads to one-sided games more often.

And I don't see the fact that so many teams being able to win abroad as necessarily a good thing. It means teams like Pakistan, Sri Lanka and now Australia have been so significantly weakened around the same time that beating them in their own backyard is not the feat is used to be.

Having said all that, I still appreciate that bowling standards appear to be on the rise and look forward to these guys showing their class in the coming years.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Would it be fair to say this era began in 2005, the year of the first T20I?

Or perhaps 2011, from the CWC onwards?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel like this era is more competitive, but also slightly lower quality, at least where Test cricket is concerned. In limited-overs though, flat-wicket batting especially, the quality of the players has sky-rocketed

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like this era is more competitive, but also slightly lower quality, at least where Test cricket is concerned. In limited-overs though, flat-wicket batting especially, the quality of the players has sky-rocketed
I think this has been the most boring LO's cricket in a long time. And I see big hitting and skills understanding has improved, but not enjoyable. Maybe its just because I'm a SA supporter....

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this has been the most boring LO's cricket in a long time. And I see big hitting and skills understanding has improved, but not enjoyable. Maybe its just because I'm a SA supporter....
Nah I feel that same way. An overabundance of 400+ ODI scores is nowhere near as entertaining than a low scoring thriller.

Thankfully though Tests are rather low scoring these days for the most part, seems like whites & pyjama cricket have swapped virtues.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah I feel that same way. An overabundance of 400+ ODI scores is nowhere near as entertaining than a low scoring thriller.

Thankfully though Tests are rather low scoring these days for the most part, seems like whites & pyjama cricket have swapped virtues.
Low-scoring ODIs play out almost like mini Tests while high-scoring ones play out more like extended T20Is. It's no surprise CW members would prefer the former given our generally strong preference for Tests here.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate mid-scoring ODIs which are almost like..ODIs

Means I just don't like ODIs I suppose

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
I hate mid-scoring ODIs which are almost like..ODIs

Means I just don't like ODIs I suppose
Would generally agree with that - exception being made for something like a team hitting something like 260/280 and struggling to get there, everyone thinks oh maybe this pitch will be a bit difficult. Then Kohli comes on to chase at 40/2 and India get there in like 30 overs.