• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This Era Is Awesome

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They could pick some unheard of bloke from the bush and Pakistan would be blown away.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This era is basically the 80s and 90s combined. Fearsome bowling, rubbish batting.

the big bambino

International Captain
Seasons 2017/18 thru to 2018/19 have had 24 completed test series of which the away team has won 6 and Zimbabwe, BD and Ireland have hosted 3 of those. You can give India the current series to make it 7 out of 25 thanks to the minnow status of Aus' batting. Team's attacks are generally better suited to their home conditions and batting atm is poor. So awesome era? Nup.
Its a quick and dirty stat and I'm not overly confident about it, but I'm getting team's bowling averages are around 10 runs higher for teams when they are away in that period.

Chrish

International Debutant
Yep this. How many genuine minefields (SL exempted) did we see this year? Most decks had some life in them but their bowling friendliness was exaggerated by simply bad batting? Just look at the Aus v Pak series or England Vs India for that matter. I'm all for lollapses because they're pretty entertaining but batting as a whole hasn't been great.
SA wickets favor bowlers too much IMO. I am not a big fan of these sort of wickets since it can create lottery element toward result (sort of like dustbowls seen in SC from time to time).

English wickets have the most ideal balence between bat and ball. Teams can actually score 400+ and we still get the result.

Flem274*

123/5
a semi-comprehensive list ranging of competent to world class, well embedded in their test sides, batsmen who aren't fabbies and have all scored real runs

mathews
karunaratne
chandimal
mendis
taylor
nicholls
watling
latham, i guess
azhar ali
asad shafiq
haris sohail
sarfraz (on the decline i admit)
bairstow
stokes
pujara
rahane
markram
amla (on the wane)
elgar
quinton de kock
brathwaite
hope
chase, just
tamim
shrieker
monininimol
shakib
brendan taylor
sean williams
khawaja

so what we've all learned together today is there are plenty of batsmen around and batting stats would be further pumped up by revoking test status from australia

bUt ThErE aRe N0 g00D bAtSmEn Nd b0wLeRs sUk

OverratedSanity

teams are now winning away from home, almost everyone has an excellent attack, almost everyone has some world class batsmen, we've got several atg batsmen and bowlers and almost every team has a couple of guys fighting for their place too. plus this is the era of neil wagner celebrations.

i did notice some sensitive australians and indians trying to project their batting woes onto everyone else in the tour thread, but i venture to suggest the australian silly ban depleted batting order is only stronger than the windies and their like. it'll look much better once smith and warner are back smashing everyone and khawaja, paine etc can fall into the support role. india wise, even nohit can make a random 50 in straya what more do you want you self absorbed cretins?

as long as i've been watching cricket people have been crying how it's secretly not a good era because everyone is bad, good players only look good because of bad players.

stop crying and enjoy it before you're left with nothing but nostalgia*

*unless you're an australian cricketer, indian cricketer, *****, overratedsanity, bijed or mushfiqur rahim. then i hope your days are wasted reading and posting bile in the news and politics subforum like mine are
ok

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't Hayden alone get 1000 runs in a calendar year for five years running? It's an absurdly low scoring year this year.

Flem274*

123/5
yea i remember in the mid 2000s when we had mental people like richard running around discounting runs off various people because pitches were too flat

cnerd123

likes this
This is also the era of people actually giving a **** about Associate cricket for once, Day/Night tests are a thing, and the CPL is back and running

what more do you people want

trundler

All I'm saying is it's been far too low scoring even though the pitches have been sporting for the most part. You don't want uneven bounce on day one or SL type pitches but the batting capitulations in Dubai, Australia, England and even SA, where it's tough to bat but you get value for shots, have been hilarious. I'll take this over a world where Thilan Samaraweera averages 50, no doubt but that doesn't mean it's some sort of golden era.