• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

At the cricket

neville cardus

International Debutant
At about midday today, at SuperSport Park, in the fulgent heat of a highveld summer, I happened to descry a very small, very young boy being jostled for his umbrella by three very large security guards. Apparently the offending item was emblazoned with one or two too many corporate logos. The boy was in tears, and the security guards were close to same, but no doubt their neoliberal masters are pleased with their day's work. I bought the boy a lolly, but I rather doubt he'll be back.

I asked the security guards what any of this had to do with "security," but I'm afraid I didn't have much joy there either.

Not long after, I attempted to update an autograph book of mine: an heirloom that goes back to the early Fifties. Dean Elgar couldn't quite look me in the eye when he explained that he was forbidden from signing such things. The fear, it would seem, is that I might want to sell this invaluable artifact, thereby depreciating the value of its vis-à-vis at the various corporate galas.

I must say I rather feel like punching something.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
I saw security being annoyingly strict with rules like umbrellas. They were right to do so though-making sure everyone could see.

Cops were collecting empty beer mugs and making jokes.

Bavuma was signing everything that got thrown at him on field (huge barrier between crowd and field). Think you got a bit unlucky with either the player or timing.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I saw security being annoyingly strict with rules like umbrellas. They were right to do so though-making sure everyone could see.
This was at the Cow Corner Bar. I was directly behind the umbrella, and could see perfectly. The security guards made their reasons quite clear.

Cops were collecting empty beer mugs and making jokes.
Bavuma was signing everything that got thrown at him on field (huge barrier between crowd and field). Think you got a bit unlucky with either the player or timing.
My item looked a little too "professional," I think.

The whole experience was probably worth it, though, just to see the looks on the faces of two of the ruder autograph hunters when Steyn told them to "shut the **** up."

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
This was at the Cow Corner Bar. I was directly behind the umbrella, and could see perfectly. The security guards made their reasons quite clear.

My item looked a little too "professional," I think.

The whole experience was probably worth it, though, just to see the looks on the faces of two of the ruder autograph hunters when Steyn told them to "shut the **** up."
Grass for umbrellas. I'm not saying there's any relation to your incident- just mentioning it because it's the only time I saw zealous officials.

Excellent vibe on the whole from my side. Maybe reality lies somewhere between what we experienced.

Anyway, that was one of my few visits to the cricket I haven't enjoyed. Yesterday was one of the hottest high veld days I've ever experienced. Not so pleasant on the grass. You made the right call on cow corner

neville cardus

International Debutant
Maybe reality lies somewhere between what we experienced.
I dunno, man. There's no middle ground when it comes to jostling a child, especially when you're doing so at the bidding of monied interests with small minds and authoritarian agendas.

Bolo

State Captain
I dunno, man. There's no middle ground when it comes to jostling a child, especially when you're doing so at the bidding of monied interests with small minds and authoritarian agendas.
I'm not defending this incident.. I'm saying that it's likely neither your negative experiences nor my positive ones are broadly representative of how officious it was-we just had good and bad luck in this regard

neville cardus

International Debutant
Thing is, neither of the things I've mentioned were freaks. Both were matters of policy, as in both cases was explained to me. It's all very disillusioning.

andmark

International Captain
At about midday today, at SuperSport Park, in the fulgent heat of a highveld summer, I happened to descry a very small, very young boy being jostled for his umbrella by three very large security guards. Apparently the offending item was emblazoned with one or two too many corporate logos. The boy was in tears, and the security guards were close to same, but no doubt their neoliberal masters are pleased with their day's work. I bought the boy a lolly, but I rather doubt he'll be back.

I asked the security guards what any of this had to do with "security," but I'm afraid I didn't have much joy there either.

Not long after, I attempted to update an autograph book of mine: an heirloom that goes back to the early Fifties. Dean Elgar couldn't quite look me in the eye when he explained that he was forbidden from signing such things. The fear, it would seem, is that I might want to sell this invaluable artifact, thereby depreciating the value of its vis-à-vis at the various corporate galas.

I must say I rather feel like punching something.
That sounds completely dire. The obvious moral stupidity of taking the umbrella from the kid aside, those sort of incidents can have a negative impact on the growth of the game. Like what will the parents think about their experience? Presumably they'd think negatively of it and perhaps won't take the lad to another game- robbing the game of a potential fan. Moronic.

neville cardus

International Debutant
The market has apparently decided this sort of behaviour is fine.
It would be rather nice, wouldn't it, if on the purchased advertising we were given a list of the conditions stipulated by the advertiser?

"This Test Match is proudly sponsored by Castle Lager. As a condition of our sponsorship (being the officious little Stalinists we are), we reserve the right to confiscate such of your property as we may find threatening, on the off-chance that it makes a second-long appearance on television. We propose to do this with the help of hired heavies, even if you are a seven-year-old child..."

I'll never understand why people, the world over, are so willing to take from private entities what they would regard with horror if it originated with the state. It's especially insidious, and the analogy becomes more pointed, when the private entity is also a monopoly -- as it is, by definition, when it has the "rights" to a sporting event. It's not as if we have the option of going to this cricket match somewhere else, which is the standard rebuttal of the market fundamentalist.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently in general umbrellas are banned at stadiums in SA. Normally provided in certain areas. I find the argument regarding it having the wrong logos as a probable excuse from security guards that has no relation to the truth. Still a deplorable incident that should just not have occurred.

I dont understand Elgar not signing.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Apparently in general umbrellas are banned at stadiums in SA. Normally provided in certain areas. I find the argument regarding it having the wrong logos as a probable excuse from security guards that has no relation to the truth.
Oh, it's certainly true. It was the only branded umbrella in a part of the ground where they were sprouting like mushrooms, and the only one targeted. The Ts & Cs do specifically ban "branded gazebos."

Stadium Regulations SuperSport Park

Still a deplorable incident that should just not have occurred.

I dont understand Elgar not signing.
If he's under orders, I really can't blame him. He wasn't a dick about it, and he did sign everything else.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Grass for umbrellas. I'm not saying there's any relation to your incident- just mentioning it because it's the only time I saw zealous officials.

Excellent vibe on the whole from my side. Maybe reality lies somewhere between what we experienced.

Anyway, that was one of my few visits to the cricket I haven't enjoyed. Yesterday was one of the hottest high veld days I've ever experienced. Not so pleasant on the grass. You made the right call on cow corner
Rookie error going on the grass.

I went on Boxing Day with a group of about 15, and I bought the tickets. I got given stick for buying us tickets in the grandstand rather than the grass, but seeing as this is now my 40th year on God's Green Earth, I choose comfort everytime. And I spent an entire day at the cricket and was not sunburnt at all. But one thing I will say is, my liver was in far worse nick than my skin by the end of the day.