• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne got off lightly says Anti-Doping Agency Chief

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I have today read in an Australian sports magazine called INSIDE SPORT an interview with WADA (which I think stands for World Anti-doping Agency) chief Richard Pound. Here is his reply to a question about the ban being only for 1 year. I quote -
"There was no reason to cut the sentence in half, because it was quite clear the hearing panel simply didn't believe him, as to the story he gave."

Elsewhere he goes onto say " Once we get the Olympic movement sorted out, we can move onto other sports such as.... the one in which Shane Warne competes". - From Inside Sport (Australia's Walkley Award winning magazine) May 2004. $ 7.95 . Title of article " Tougher by the Pound by Robert Drane"
What does everyone else think ? Did he get away lightly ?
I am also concerned about what measures the ICC has put in place for regular or random drug testing . This thread is intended to get people's opinions. Please don't convert it into a mudslinging contest.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
My opinion at the time was that he was lucky to avoid a 2-year ban, and I stand by what I said then. Similarly, Rio Ferdinand is exceedingly lucky to only get 8 months for his offence.

As far as the current ICC policy is concerned regarding out-of-competition testing, the last I remember reading about it was prior to WC2003

biased indian

International Coach
i have been saying all along he should have got atleast 2 year's

No sports person is going to admit that they took in knowingly
every one will claim that they didn't know any thing about it.
:cool: :cool:

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Yeah, I agree.

I do beleive Shane Warne was only using the diuretic out of vanity, but this matters not. The fact that he used a prescription drug without a prescription was yet another example in a long line of very stupid things he has done to ghive Australian sportspeople a bad name, and for that fact alaone I would have preferred to see him rubbed out for two years (but I will admit to taking comfort in the increased strength of the Aussie bowling attack now that he's back).

These comments are not surprising from Richard Pound. While the hearing regarding Shane Warne was taking place he was in the media saying that the eyes of the world's sporting authorities were on Australia as we had been so vocal in our criticism of other countries drug cheats.

While this is true (and I pretty much agree with his take on the whole situation), it was still inappropriate and prejudicial coming from the guys who, as far as I remember, was at the time the IOC vice president in charge of their anti-doping committee.

anzac

International Debutant
and further to this the AUS Olympic swim team had just been very outspoken re drug cheats in their sport...............

the sentencing for such MUST be handled by the world body governing that sport - not the national body - so as to avoid any accusations of favoritism etc.............

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
My opinion is Richard is releasing a book in August and this parasite is using Warne to generate interest to help sales.

Pound, Richard W.
Inside the Olympics
A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Politics, the Scandals, and the Glory of the Games
Apart from the fact that this kind of thing is precisely the type of thing the book is about. I say good luck to the bloke. It's no different to Billy Birmingham taking the Michael out of Warne (Perhaps we ought to now call it 'Taking the Shane').

No problem with me if Warney inadvertantly keeps an author in work. After all, there must be plenty of people at the mobile phone companies who indirectly benefit from his charity.

It's nothing new. I have Simon Rae's book 'It's not cricket' which is precisely the same type of publication, all about chucking, skullduggery, ponting, cheating, sledging.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Why not?

Unless you mean because he came back against them?
Yep and he took over 20 wickets against them, beat Murali to 500 wickets and could break (and in theroy should) his world record.

Wazim

School Boy/Girl Captain
i think he did get off lightly, i feel he deserved more...atheletes get away with alot of stuff, and i think they should be charged as everyone else

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Wazim said:
i think he did get off lightly, i feel he deserved more...atheletes get away with alot of stuff, and i think they should be charged as everyone else
I just happened to notice that your English in this post is perfect 8-) , compared to your post in "Murali I will continue to bowl the doosra" . Did you have quick English coaching between these two posts :blink: or are you secure in your identity in this post as opposed to trying to emphasize your assumed false identity in that post ? :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
JASON said:
I just happened to notice that your English in this post is perfect 8-) , compared to your post in "Murali I will continue to bowl the doosra" . Did you have quick English coaching between these two posts :blink: or are you secure in your identity in this post as opposed to trying to emphasize your assumed false identity in that post ? :D
What possible motive would he have to do that? Methinks it's time for you to take a valium and lay off the conspiracy theories.

And IMO, he sounds pretty similar in both posts.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
shane warne got off lightly says Anti-Doping Agency Chief

Slow Love™ said:
What possible motive would he have to do that? Methinks it's time for you to take a valium and lay off the conspiracy theories.

And IMO, he sounds pretty similar in both posts.
Hey I didn't know you and "Wazim" were one and the same!! :huh:
You are not just Slowlove alone, you are just plain and simply 'Slow'. :-O
Is that (valium) what you take ? No wonder you are what you are (slow)!!

Before anyone starts saying that I am turning this into a slang match , please note the contents of the quote.

kasra

Cricket Spectator
Of course he got off lightly. The diuretic he took was a masking agent for performance enhancing drugs. Ask any doctor. Isn't it curious that part never came out. If not for **** Pound's strong and consistent anti-doping position and if it was left only upto the ACB, Warne may not have even got the 12 month ban.

Scallywag

Banned
kasra said:
Of course he got off lightly. The diuretic he took was a masking agent for performance enhancing drugs. Ask any doctor. Isn't it curious that part never came out. If not for **** Pound's strong and consistent anti-doping position and if it was left only upto the ACB, Warne may not have even got the 12 month ban.

While your on a roll karsa can you describe a performance enhancing drug that would aid a spin bowler or are you just parroting something you heard at the pub.

kasra

Cricket Spectator
Who knows what Warne was taking and what his intentions were, we will probably never find out the truth on that. But taking performance enhancing drugs are a lot more serious than taking some diuretic and that was never investigated.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The fact he never tested positive on the numerous times he was tested before suggests that it was only vanity and not cheating.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
While your on a roll karsa can you describe a performance enhancing drug that would aid a spin bowler or are you just parroting something you heard at the pub.
The point isn't what performance enhancing drugs could do to aid a spin bowler, the point is that they are quite simply illegal, and Warne's use of the diuretic could've hidden use of illegal drugs.
Seems quite simple to me.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
The point isn't what performance enhancing drugs could do to aid a spin bowler, the point is that they are quite simply illegal, and Warne's use of the diuretic could've hidden use of illegal drugs.
Seems quite simple to me.
That is indeed the point, and the reason why diuretics are banned.

Personally, I'd ban purple hair dye too, just to wind up Mohammad Sami and James Anderson.